[BBD] Sentinel Tower

• @john-cox said in [BBD] Sentinel Tower:

It increases damage by number of spells cast (including artifacts).

No it doesn't...

• @fsecco said in [BBD] Sentinel Tower:

@john-cox said in [BBD] Sentinel Tower:

No it doesn't...

You are right. Not sure why I thought that.

• If the older builds of Drain Tendrils that used AK or whatever were still good it might have been a good fit there. Maybe a non-PO Drain combo shell could be built with this card in mind? As mentioned above PO isn't amazing (though I think it might still work fine) since we'd need more instants and sorceries, so perhaps a cantrip heavy shell? That gets hit by all the misstep and REB type hate. Hard to say really but it really feels like a Mana Drain card. Gifts? Just spitballing ideas here...

• @john-cox said in [BBD] Sentinel Tower:

@fsecco said in [BBD] Sentinel Tower:

@john-cox said in [BBD] Sentinel Tower:

No it doesn't...

You are right. Not sure why I thought that.

When will “nobody is actually reading this card” go too far?

• Also, this doesnt solve the issue of damping sphere and Arcane lab effects.

• @ten-ten I think you could play around sphere effects to an extent.

• Do you think we could get an Around the World in 80 Days scenario going here where someone stakes "Their Entire Fortune!" on running this as a 4-of and then the rest of us can all scoff and bluster and toss around phrases like "He'll be ruined I say, Ruined!" ?

TMD Single-Card Discussion seems like a likely space for this to occur '-)

• @bandswithothers said in [BBD] Sentinel Tower:

Do you think we could get an Around the World in 80 Days scenario going here where someone stakes "Their Entire Fortune!" on running this as a 4-of and then the rest of us can all scoff and bluster and toss around phrases like "He'll be ruined I say, Ruined!" ?

TMD Single-Card Discussion seems like a likely space for this to occur '-)

I'll wager my entire MTGO collection that this see's zero play in vintage merfolk (5-0 performing lists lists only).
    The race is on!

• @john-cox You'll be penniless! You'll have to pawn your daughter's dowry just to pay for your cigar clippers and ascot starch!

• @john-cox

okay so what's the lowest amount of Sentinel Tower that counts as "zero play"

and what's the minimum amount of merfolk that counts as "vintage merfolk" ?

• I should come clean with you guys I guess. I don't play on MTGO...
    -And no one plays Merfolk!

• Here I was hoping TMD would become the home of gentlemanly wagers. Verily!

• @brass-man Oh boy, that takes me back. From memory the Drain Shop deck used Chalice for 1-2 to hose, Crucible for card advantage and Nev disk to sweep if things went bad, as well as the big blue cards. It was pure control and killed with Platinum Angel or another big robot.

I only saw one person pilot it and he always asked his decklist not be disclosed.

I created Bomberman and yes, it didn't take off in the US before I went to a few SCG P9 event with it. I didn't know Dragon was Canadian thought.

• @aelien said in [BBD] Sentinel Tower:

Etherswon Canonist since with its 2 life pared with the ability is immune against this kind of removal (Pack your sideboard with that bad girl if you are scared of Sentinal Tower

If you have 2 towers in play, any instant or sorcery will kill Canonist, right?

Also, if you play an instant or sorcery, and your opponent counters it...that kills Canonist too, right?

IDK how strong of a sideboard option Canonist really is against this.

• @forceofnature there are very few spells you would want to counter with your ethersworn out against a deck you would want to board it in in the first place if that means losing your ethersworn as a result.
    Also having 2 of this card in play seems pretty unlikely ateast in the context of the card usage (mostly as a 1 off) I talked about in my post. I'm not sure if you would want to play two in your deck.

• Sentinel Tower will not receive an online printing alongside the other choice Battlebond cards that hit Magic Online on July 5th. It was not mentioned in the notes if it'll receive a printing at a later date. More information can be found here.

• @hierarchnoble that's just sad...this card was interesting, now it gets denied testing in significant numbers

• So, following that downer from the MTGO blog, I just got in contact with Alli Medwin. They (not sure of preferred pronoun?) say although they're working on M19 now, they have noted that Sentinel Tower is a card eternal players could want and have pencilled in bringing it to MTGO once they're done with M19. Obviously, that's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

• @hierarchnoble said in [BBD] Sentinel Tower:

Sentinel Tower will not receive an online printing alongside the other choice Battlebond cards that hit Magic Online on July 5th. It was not mentioned in the notes if it'll receive a printing at a later date. More information can be found here.

Considering the fact that Wizards went so far out of their way to justify the new era of extreme simplicity in Core Sets, this line is hilarious:

"For one, M19 itself had some unexpected complexity that cropped up during implementation, and that cost us time."

• Why do programs like Xmage not have any problem implementing all the cards for a set just a few days after the full spoiler comes out while it seems to be so hard on mtgo? Sure bugs after implementation aren't that rare on platforms like this, but they mostly get fixed quickly. Ian not saying Xmage would be better than mtgo, it has a ton of problems, i'm just wondering what takes them so long, while a small team is so fast in comparison? (It's not because quality takes time, that's for sure...)

WAF/WHF