[BBD] Archon of Valor's Reach

• TMD Supporter

Archon of Valor's Reach - 4GW
    Creature - Archon (Rare)
    Flying, vigilance, trample
    As Archon of Valor's Reach enters the battlefield, choose artifact, enchantment, instant, sorcery, or planeswalker.
    Players can't cast spells of the chosen type.

Brian Kelly, your God has arrived.

Evaluating this as an Oath creature, the important thing to note is that it isn't a "come from behind" target, but is pretty powerful as a "cement a lead" target. Think Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, which is often played in Oath as a way of making sure you don't lose to a Walking Ballista off the top.

Additionally, this functions as a Iona, Shield of Emeria that is easier to cast in many circumstances. Naming sorcery against DPS is similar to naming black with Iona. Naming artifact against Paradoxical Outcome still stops the combo since it involves recasting all those artifacts that have been returned. The fact that is stops casting altogether means that players can't trigger Monastery Mentor like they might if this were a Chalice of the Void instead.

Finally, for those that might miss it, the effect is symmetrical.

There are many other lines and considerations to add for this card, but I'll leave it at that. What does everyone think?

• I think it's a good Oath sideboard card for MUD. Iona is better in almost every other situation.

• TMD Supporter

I find this card infinitely more terrifying than Inferno Titan with (probably) an easier hard casting cost.

• This card is great against Shops and Paradoxical Outcome decks (where I believe the right card type to ban is Instant, which locks out both Storm accelerants like Paradoxical Outcome and Hurkyl’s Recall, as well as creature removal like Swords to Plowshares and Chain of Vapor) and pretty useless against most other archetypes.

The problem, as you’ve identified, is that this creature is win-more. It doesn’t protect you from a swarm of artifact creatures (and really the biggest threat Shops poses is from its board, not the top of its deck), zombies, or monks, or from an active Jace. I think that this Archon is worth keeping in mind due to its unique and potent effect, but is just worse than other Oath options (including fellow Blazing Archon).

• @evouga said in [BBD] Archon of Valor's Reach:

The problem, as you’ve identified, is that this creature is win-more. It doesn’t protect you from a swarm of artifact creatures (and really the biggest threat Shops poses is from its board, not the top of its deck), zombies, or monks, or from an active Jace. I think that this Archon is worth keeping in mind due to its unique and potent effect, but is just worse than other Oath options (including fellow Blazing Archon).

Not so sure about that. If you land this turn 2 or 3 in the shops matchup and name artifact your opponent needs to have you dead on board right then and there or its game over. Even if they don't you may have to force them into a very sub optimal play to deal with her, like sacking to ravager, which can buy you time to get another one on board.

I do believe most every matchup has a better oath target specifically for it, but this is a more well rounded and general answer to more of the field.

• Came here to post this card. Castable Iona seems great.

• @fsecco

Better than Iona because this can name artifacts.

This card will see play in Oath.

• This will definitely see some play.

• @protoaddct How is the Shops opponent winning against turn 2 Griselbrand? Are they going to resolve Phyrexian Metamorph or Duplicant (not that anybody runs Duplicant anymore) when you can draw 7-14 cards to dig for Force of Will, Ancient Grudge, or Abrade?

I won't be at all surprised to see people try Archon of Valor's Reach, but I'm still not convinced he's superior to Oath targets with the ability to immediately stabilize the board.

• @gkraigher It's better strictly against shops. Against blue decks it's way worse (once in play, of course).

• @evouga said in [BBD] Archon of Valor's Reach:

I won't be at all surprised to see people try Archon of Valor's Reach, but I'm still not convinced he's superior to Oath targets with the ability to immediately stabilize the board.

You underestimate the power of Turn Board Sideways, Windmill Slam Giant Monster.

• This card is no joke, easily the standout in a pretty appealing set. My biggest open question is whether to fit one of these into an existing list, or start from scratch and build around just running 3-4x Archon.

• Just realized this is not a legendary card. With 4 you can knock out Instants, Sorceries, Artifacts and PWs. Well, there goes Vintage

• @serracollector This is a very beatable card if people care about beating it. The interesting question will be whether or not it's worth it for people to do that.

• @Brass-Man I understand, I just meant those 4 card types are 99% of Vintage lists.

• @brass-man I wonder in the current environment how many games a 5/6 trample, vigilance, flying wins if you name Instant/Artifact (depending on MU) taking away basically all non-Jace removal.

• Oh wow it has vigilance too. Geez.

• @serracollector there's a lot of games you win when you resolve 4 copies of a 6 drop, usually regardless of what the 6 drop is

• @BlindTherapy Good thing against "most" lists you will only need 1.

WAF/WHF