[BBD] Bonus Round

• @hierarchnoble Well I just bought a playset of winning. We'll see who's right.

• I thought about that one, but it duplicates your opponents spells too. So whatever he has answers to he'll keep having - meaning this doesn't dodge counters. It's only useful when you have cards in hand and the opponent doesn't. You can't combo out with it and the card doesn't put you ahead and can also actually backfire. I don't like it.

EDIT: you can always use Mana Short first :P

• @fsecco I don't follow, what do you mean by "You can't combo out with it"? I can think of about a dozen combos, the funnest all involve casting Regrowth infinite times. This card and a single Demonic Tutor is a kill about 30 different ways (I like getting Dark Ritual and Regrowth, but Time Walk+Tinker is probably cleaner, and if you're squeezed for mana, you can just get Gush with the first copy, draw 4 cards, and grab Black Lotus with the second.) How about a three-card hand of Bonus Round + Dark Ritual + Dark Petition for a 1RRB kill requiring no restricted cards, swap out Dark Rit for Cabal Ritual and win through your opponent's 8 copies of Mental Misstep!

Yeah if your opponent has an answer before you cast this, they still have an answer afterwards ... but that's true of a lot of cards ... like Jace, or Forbidden Orchard, or Time Vault, or whatever. Most cards don't dodge counters.

Now I don't know if this card is worth the mana cost, that's a serious concern - but I'm having trouble following why you think it doesn't put you ahead. It would be pretty easy to build a deck around making more of this than your opponent (e.g. setting up turns where you have 3 or 4 relevant cards to play at once). And you don't have to go all the way to a sarcastic Mana Short if you're truly terrified of enemy instants - Defense Grid is a proven champ in that area.

Battlebond has been filled with cards that I think would be tremendous fun to play, and this might set up the most entertaining turns I've seen ... but the 1RR price tag is a little steep to set up the sorts of plays you really want to make with this.

• @brass-man What I meant is that the card doesn't dodge counters. So if your opponent has a Misstep for your Ancestral, he'll have double Misstep for your double Ancestral. If he has FoW for your double Regrowth, he has double FoW for your double Regrowth, etc. Of course if he has nothing this is insane, but my point is that it doesn't avoid counters or interaction and can backfire tremendously.

EDIT: Defense Grid sounds awesome.

• @brass-man NB you need at least two physical copies of Regrowth to do any infinite chaining, since the first copy's card will not be in the graveyard yet at the time you need to pick the second copy's target.

• You need two Regrowth, but it's fairly easy to find them when you're forking every spell

• even your opponent duplicates everything and has not tapped 1RR
    for combo past in the flame is better

• This post is deleted!

• Just some clarifications, for someone who is better at rules?

If I cast Bonus Round, then another Bonus Round, then Lightning Bolt, I get 4x Lightning Bolt?

First Bonus Round would make it so I get 2 bolts,
    Two more bonus rounds (from the 2nd bonus round) means I get 4 total?

so then....because I now have 4 bonus rounds up,

casting another bonus round puts 4 copies on the stack, so when they all resolve, I get 8 copies?

So we're essentially just doubling the amount of copies I get every time I cast it, and an additional copy if it ever gets forked?

• @forceofnature That all sounds right to me .... and don't forget that your Fork gets copied, too ... so Bonus Round, Bonus Round, Fork means you'll be getting 6x each spell afterwards

• @forceofnature On second thought after more carefully reading, I (think I) agree.

• I did the math and if you cast multiples of these and/or fork/twincast this, then cast Shaharazad, you win the tournament your in automatically.

• @forceofnature I saw this and decided to dust of my math skills.

F(n): Number of copy effects after nth Bonus Round.

• F(0) = 0
    • F(1) = 1
    • F(2) = 1 + 1 + 1 = 3
    • F(n) = 1 + F(n-1) + F(n-1) = 1 + 2*F(n-1)

Everytime you play BR you get

• one extra copy effect for the spell: 1
    • one extra copy effect for every previous one: F(n-1)
    • all the previous ones: F(n-1)

Which is a really complicated way of saying playing an instant or sorcery after the nth Bonus Round will put it's effect on the stack 2^n times.

• Whatever deck is playing this is playing 4 Defense Grid anyway. This is a belcher decks nitrous oxide.

Edit: Burp.

WAF/WHF