How to MTGO Responsibly?

• Ok, I sort of got the bug to play more vintage again and decided to build a deck on MTGO last weekend. I've noticed that there aren't any scheduled tournaments, but have had no issues getting practice games in over the last few days. I see the Vintage league, and will probably join that once I'm a little more comfortable with the (horrible) software. I have a couple questions about how the economy works, and prizes. I assume it's possible to accumulate prizes and trade for more tickets or other staples to build more decks. How difficult is it to do such a thing if you only play Vintage? I've also noticed that the prizes are some sort of treasure chest thing full of cards. When you win these, can you trade the treasure chest, or do you open it and trade the cards inside? What kinds of cards can you expect to find in one of these treasure chests? Sorry if these are elementary questions, and I thank you for your help ahead of time.

• @feldon808 you can do either. So far I’ve opened all of mine. I’ve gotten JTMS twice, Noble Hierarch, some fetchlands, Trinisphere, Thorn, and a few other keepers- along with several multi ticket items to cash in. Better than if I had just sold the chests 🤷🏻♂️ I don’t know. With the league you’ll earn enough points for reentry with 3-2 or better finish.

• Ok, thanks for the reply @wfain. Sounds like you have opened some good staples in your prize chests.

Maybe I'll hop in the league this weekend and give it a shot.

• TMD Supporter

Full details on what you can find in treasure chests are at:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/treasure-chest-card-list-info

• Bots are the easiest way to convert tickets to cards and chests to tickets. I use GoatBots due to peer recommendation. Recently they got even better because you can set up a tickets for cards trade on GoatBots.com and they come to you.

• Leagues are the best way to play sanctioned Vintage on your terms. They pay out net positive if your record is positive (3-2 or better) after five rounds. Sometimes the wait times can be a little daunting, but I can usually finish a league in under three hours. You don't have to finish all five rounds in one sitting, though, and right now any league you're in won't expire until July 7th.

• Challenges are the best bang for your buck. They start at 1 PM EDT every Saturday and are usually comprised of about 50 players and six rounds. Prizes pay out to top 32, so 3-3 is basically guaranteed their entry back. This is also a great way to guarantee you'll play against similar records, no repeat opponents, much like a normal paper tournament.

• Vintage isn't special when it comes to card availability compared to other formats. The card prices on MODO are solely driven by supply/demand, with speculation rarely playing a role. You'll see things like $3 Ancestral Recall yet $30 Walking Ballista. You'll just have to get used to it.

• Treasure chests are booster packs. However, unlike a set's booster packs, they can contain any set as well as non-card items. These non-card items include Play Points, Avatars, and Complete Sets. I've been cracking mine to try to score one of the chest-only avatars (c'mon Ragavan), but you can sell them to bots if you're looking to extend your collection.

• The following is my entirely subjective approach to Magic Online. Because the percentage cut on bot transactions is significantly better than how it would play out in paper, I keep a small collection. Where in paper you'd lose half the value of a card trading it in, on MODO it's more like losing 5%. Additionally, converting cards to cash or cash to cards takes about five minutes maximum on MODO when you get the hang of it, while in paper it'll take hours to weeks to receive what you're buying or get paid for what you're selling. As such, I just keep the deck that's locked into my league in my inventory, maybe buy a card or two throughout the week to make small adjustments, and then when I switch decks I just do a hard swap of anything that's not in the new deck for the new cards. I rarely own above 100 cards at any point in time. Plus, I'd rather have my collection not be at the whim of the much faster-moving supply/demand that MODO has. Remember, though, that is bullet point is entirely subjective.

Let me know if anything I said is confusing (very possible) or if you want a deeper dive into the information!

• Wow, @hierarchnoble thanks for that very detailed reply. That's a lot of information to chew on there. After considering what you've said about the ease of switching between decks without holding onto extra cards, it seems rather unimportant to keep anything you aren't using in a current deck. Very interesting! I like the approach of just holding tickets rather than cards. I don't switch decks all that often anyway, so that seems ideal for me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! That was very valuable and should save me a lot of time and effort.

WAF/WHF