[M19] Desecrated Tomb

• Desecrated Tomb
    Artifact - 3
    Whenever one or more creature cards leave your graveyard, create a 1/1 black Bat creature token with flying.

This seems like it has Dredge or Survival potential, and can even be maindecked by either with not much retooling of the mana. It majorly protects against graveyard exile effects (too late with your Rest in Peace? death by bats.), but even proactively works with the dredge mechanic itself as cards move to hand or to play. Nice synergy with old Squee, if that's a thing. It's a new avenue of attack for grindy games.

• Yeah this seems really interesting in Dredge as it activates if you dredge a card to your hand, if stuff gets revived like narco, dread return targets, ichorids....and also if cards do get just exiled from your GY, so its a pretty natural hate protection. Something like bringing an Ichorid into play will give you an additional 2 bats, which is enough creatues for Dread return.
    Buuuut it costs 3. Thankfully 3 colorless, but still 3. I dont really know if that is playable just for that reason to be honest.

• Bat Stax Fever

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Lodestone Golem

1 Black Lotus
    1 Chalice of the Void
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Sol Ring
    4 Null Rod
    4 Sphere of Resistance
    1 Thorn of Amethyst
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Desecrated Tomb
    1 Trinisphere
    4 Smokestack

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Bazaar of Baghdad
    4 Ghost Quarter
    1 Inventors' Fair
    4 Mishra's Workshop
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Tolarian Academy
    4 Wasteland

• @hierarchnoble said in [M19] Desecrated Tomb:

Bat Stax Fever

What, no myr retriever + junk diver + KCI? I'm so disappointed.

• @wiley Remember to diversify by using a 2/2 split of Krark-Clan Ironworks and Ashnod's Altar to dodge Phyrexian Revoker!

• Alternately this could empower some sort of dredge-shops hybrid list. Getting away from Dread Return to employ taxing effects while beating down with Ichorid, Zombies, Bats, and various golems (Lodestone potentially, in addition to Hollow One).

• I was fully envisioning a couple of Ancient Tombs somewhere in the 75 when I wrote my original post, even for a Dredge deck. I also briefly thought of Workshop the card, but not as a fitting into that archetype. Pretty cool Stax list.

• @bazaarofbaghdad yeah, I think if you remove the Dread Returns and all the targets, max the dredge creatures, maybe remove Narcomoeba and play Vault Skirge instead (since it is black for Ichorid but can also be made off of Workshop) then play 4 Sphere, with Thorn, Chalice, Trinisphere, Lodestone, and probably still play Bloodghast you might have something pretty good.

• @wfain

@wfain said in [M19] Desecrated Tomb:

some sort of dredge-shops hybrid list

You're a terrifying person, you know that, right?

• If a token goes to the graveyard it changes zones and once it's in the grave, then it ceases to exist. Wouldn't 'ceases to exist' imply the token was in the grave and left?

It's a stretch but "leave your graveyard" is strange wording. I can see how this would create infinite loops if you had something like Heartless Summoning in play which again makes me think this can't work with tokens hitting the grave.

110.5f A token that’s in a zone other than the battlefield ceases to exist. This is a state-based action; see rule 704. (Note that if a token changes zones, applicable triggered abilities will trigger before the token ceases to exist.)

704.5d If a token is in a zone other than the battlefield, it ceases to exist.

• TMD Supporter

@chase_dagger Tokens aren't cards.

Also, this card seems a lot worse when you realize it is a "one or more" trigger. Alas, no army of bats from a Tormod's Crypt activation.

• This post is deleted!

• @cutlex also only one bat for a RiP trigger, and none for the cards it exiles when it's in play as they never hit the yard

• @cutlex Yep overlooked the word card.

• @hierarchnoble @wfain I swear to you I have played Workshop Dredge on stream before.

"This card would go great in my Workshop Dredge deck" is a phrase I never thought I'd be saying. But here we are.

• @brass-man I have played it too. probably a different list though.

• @brass-man do you think this card could give that idea some new life?

• This is a pretty horrible card. Definitely not Vintage playable.

WAF/WHF