Please educate me about fakes

• New batch of fakes out. Revised and Beta stuff looks passable at close range double sleeved. What's it look like when you're actually holding it? Dunno.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNZTxV1Pd1QyC4_GtsGxdHPvhqMU_Bf2vjjJaX6p5v9Do6zRupW02zN44YFtBp8yg?key=SzVIV3NULUVHb1FoV3lHbXlNSkhQeXpSNkpKNk5B

• TMD Supporter

So today I saw one of the best fakes I have ever seen. It was Mox and it looked very good under a loupe (hexagonal patterns, typeface was sharp and clear, casting cost looked legit and the multi-tiered borders all looked legit). the only thing that gave it away to me was holding it next to another exact card that I was pretty sure about the providence on.

Once again, the only thing that clued me in was "it looked off." A little too nice, slight sheen, etc and a possibly visible black core.

They're getting good......it seems every good fake I have seen, had a different thing wrong with it.

• @joshuabrooks said:

So today I saw one of the best fakes I have ever seen. It was Mox and it looked very good under a loupe (hexagonal patterns, typeface was sharp and clear, casting cost looked legit and the multi-tiered borders all looked legit). the only thing that gave it away to me was holding it next to another exact card that I was pretty sure about the providence on.

Once again, the only thing that clued me in was "it looked off." A little too nice, slight sheen, etc and a possibly visible black core.

They're getting good......it seems every good fake I have seen, had a different thing wrong with it.

Not only are the printings getting better, people are started to perfect a "weathering" process: alt text.

A few things have changed with the newest round of fakes: printed in rosettes, black core paper that feels "right," industrial printing, and they "weather" better.

• TMD Supporter

@AmbivalentDuck So what are the current tells?

• The printing on MOST of the fakes is still craptacular. Color errors, text errors, and worse. The faker seems to have put more effort into the P9 than most cards (and ABU were craptacular print runs). The only tell that I'm aware of is that the black is also printed as a rosette on the fakes. Remember that this tell is harder to use if the cards are heavily weathered. I'd snag a Beta Soul Net and carry it around with me for unsleeved loupe-aided comparison if I was planning on buying any limited edition cards.

I've yet to actually hold one in hand, but these American-made fakes seem to blow away the Chinese fakes.

Another gallery I've found of these: https://imgur.com/a/3SefD

• @AmbivalentDuck I'm glad someone brought up weathering. Truth be told, my back-bordered set of Power Nine is pretty beaten up, as realistically speaking we simply didn't understand the value of those cards back in the day. Other than a pristine Beta Time Walk, everything is well used, and in particular the Alpha Lotus. Only 1,100 Alpha Lotuses were ever printed, and any Power Nine on the EX-NM level should definitely raise eyebrows these days. This was long before "deck protector" sleeves and long before we knew the real value of these cards, so almost all of them are pretty well roughed up.

• I'm curious to see how bad this gets before Wizards offers a redemption program. The holofoil stamps are turning out to be as hard to fake as expected UNLIKE the craptacular ABU printing process.

• People online are starting to brag about their weathered Chinese fakes making it through deck checks in sanctioned tourneys.

I shouldn't post links to forums where people tell you how they did it, but they're doing it. If it passes a deck check, there's a decent chance it would pass a cursory inspection. Start being very careful about SP and MP cards.

• @Brass-Man said:

Admin Hat!

I deleted a few posts from the thread, specifically talking about where people bought counterfeits and whether particular counterfeits are legal in tournaments. This does not constitute a "warning" and nobody is in any sort of trouble.

However I don't want Wizards to have any inkling that people might be using TMD to encourage people to play counterfeits in tournaments, or spread information about how to buy counterfeits. One issue is that posting "I know how to get counterfeits" even without publicly posting how, possibly implies conversations happening over PM. I don't want that implication, even if it's unfounded. Beyond that, there's a reasonable argument to be made that knowingly purchasing counterfeits is illegal, so posting that you have is potentially dangerous.

Yes, this is a legal gray area, and yes, Wizards probably doesn't care about individuals at a small scale. I still don't want TMD (or I would hope, the vintage community) to adopt an antagonistic position with Wizards on this issue

I think it's awesome to educate players about how to differentiate between real and fake cards. If you bought cards expecting them to be real, and received counterfeits, please continue to post that here or elsewhere, the community needs to know.

However, if you have purchased counterfeits or are considering purchasing counterfeits or are considering playing counterfeits in an event, sanctioned or otherwise - please do not post about that process here - and feel free to flag posts you see on that subject, so the staff can review them accordingly.

Im on mobile, so its hard to tell if my post got axed but it might have.

Passing a deck check is not a big deal, they arent even trying to stop that sort of thing

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.