[M19] Nicol Bolas, The Ravager/Nicol Bolas, The Arisen

4 mana for a 4/4 flyer isn't awful, but it's not great either. I think you could do more with Zahid - the 5/6 flying djinn for 3U.

The sorcery restriction on the flip is what kills this for me. If you could EOT flip him or in response to a kill card do it, it would be at least better.

Probably either needed Mind Rot or another couple of decent abilities ... either Haste or maybe some weird targeting ability like any spell targeting him on the battlefield or stack costs 3 more. As is the flip ability seems like a pipe dream until we get a reliable transform spell / land to cheat transformers. He's competing with some other powerful legends that can be Pyro and Hydroblasted like Kess, Mishra, and Mairsil who don't really get played currently.

MAYBE in some Bug variant with deathrite shaman, this one isnt too bad with all moxes and lotus floating around.

@yakuzaxrock I think Kess, Dissident Mage is almost always just better.

@stormanimagus said in [M19] Nicol Bolas, The Ravager/Nicol Bolas, The Arisen:

@yakuzaxrock I think Kess, Dissident Mage is almost always just better.

Yes. Both are legendary too and will be bounced by the almighty Karakas!

@yakuzaxrock if they every tap out the karakas it only takes 11 mana in one turn to make something that doesn't get karakased

@blindtherapy
Bouncing bolas will be a discard every turn. But both will get reb/pyroblasted too.

If you are going to spend the mana on a bolas walker there are other options that win the game faster. Making it a 4/4 flyer for 4 makes it less appealing to me for every format that is not commander or standard.

Almost guaranteed 2 for 1, and massive potential upside play in a big mana deck. I dont think this is a bad card, but there is a lot of competition at 4.

Views