[M19] Alpine Moon

• alt text

Hrmm.

• First damping sphere, now this. Wotc is really trying to make hate to hit MWS so they don't have to restrict it. All to no avail, however.

• My first thoughts were Bazaar and Forbidden Orchard tbh, not MWS.

• @serracollector as a dredge player I'd rather see this than pithing needle but if this changes the total number of that effect people play than I still don't want to see it.

this is an interesting card. only effecting the opponent's cards is very interesting; likely matters most in oath mirrors?

• Yes this card is great in the Oath mirror and has incidental value coming in against Dark Depths and Bazaar-based decks. I think this is a very dubious choice in any non-Oath deck, though; it needed to cantrip a la spreading Seas to be interesting.

Since some people are bound to get tripped up:

Alpine Moon naming Dark Depths stops both Hexmage and Thespian’s Stage shenanigans. Dark Depths already in play keep their counters; new copies enter play without counters (and trigger immediately if the Moon is destroyed).

• @serracollector said in [M19] Alpine Moon:

My first thoughts were Bazaar and Forbidden Orchard tbh, not MWS.

My first though was all three, making this exceptionally narrow BUT multi-faced.

• I'm willing to go ahead and call this the most important printing in some time. I think this absolutley could make mono red jump a tier and is stong enough to be run in the main. It has action against 3 of the biggest decks in the format.

My only issue is this sadly tanks blood sun, and that it makes misstep even more relevant.

• @protoaddct

I play mono Red, and I would love a 1 mana printing that would help the deck out. But i think this card is terrible.

Vs Dredge it allows them to get colored mana from Bazaars to remove this card from play. Pitching needle doesn’t do that.

Vs shops this is just a terrible card. You will be naming Mishra’s Factory more than you would name Worskhop. Against shops, Damphig sphere is much better because it slows down Moxes as well.

The one advantage this might have is against Forbidden Orchard.

This does literally nothing vs. xerox.

If it didn’t have the “add mana of any color” clause and it was a legit pithing needle for non-basic land. Like if it “blood sunned” fetchlands and removed workshop from all mana abilities, it would be playable.

As it stands this is unplayable garbage.

• @gkraigher said in [M19] Alpine Moon:

Vs Dredge it allows them to get colored mana from Bazaars to remove this card from play. Pitching needle doesn’t do that.

This was my thought as well. As a Dredge player, I'd be much happier seeing this because more than likely it lets me fix to cast my anti-hate.

@protoaddct

I play mono Red, and I would love a 1 mana printing that would help the deck out. But i think this card is terrible.

Vs shops this is just a terrible card. You will be naming Mishra’s Factory more than you would name Worskhop. Against shops, Damphig sphere is much better because it slows down Moxes as well.

If it didn’t have the “add mana of any color” clause and it was a legit pithing needle for non-basic land. Like if it “blood sunned” fetchlands and removed workshop from all mana abilities, it would be playable.

In all cases, those cards you just mentioned are not at all mutually exclusive with this. This is just another tool.

Against Dredge, If you can turn off a bazaar activation by forcing them to tap for mana for a turn instead of dredging, you in many cases bought yourself a turn to find pithing or blood moon.

Against Shops, likewise, on the play I would always play this naming workshops in hopes that it buys me the time I need to get to my other options/shatter effects. The fact that later on in the game it can double as a way to stop factory is not a downside in my eyes.

All that being said, I almost think Mono red can afford to run cards that are high risk high reward with faithless looting as an option. Yes against Xerox this is junk, buy you can still run spheres and the like in that matchup.

• I wonder who has joined the design team that they're recently taking a stab at these elegant multi-deck hate answers? Is it Gavin?

Anyway, this card rocks off with its socks off. A one drop hate card that hits Oath, Shops, and Dredge? That's super relevant! Sign me up for a dozen.

• The chief weakness of mono-red is the lack of a viable card advantage engine, leading to its inability to close out games after the opponent has stabilized.

Adding in cards that are blanks 90% of the time does not solve this problem, and rather, exacerbates it.

• I think I would always prefer Sorcerous Spyglass in my hand to this card.

• Ancient Tomb + Mox still completely wrecks this card.

@protoaddct

It turns on your opponents Missteps? That's something. Maybe if this thing cantripped or scryed.

WAF/WHF