Formatting the site

• I think some of the issues with navigation right now are simply going to resolve themselves thru using the site. But one thing that would help immensely is having different shades in the background for alternating threads (and within a thread, alternating posts).
    I did find the setting sections and tinkered around with that. For example choosing 'slate' may be my preferred setting. But once I set it to slate and open up a thread, the first post should be that dark grey, the second post, light grey, third post back to dark etc.

Interestingly enough, the settings section does this to an extent by making the categories you have to choose from a very pale grey on the white background.

Its a very nice contrast or border that makes it quick and easy for the eye to delineate between posts without any thought or searching.

• I am really unnerved at there being no borders.

The alternating borders would be a step in the right direction but there is just too much white space for me all over the site. I assume it will be filled in with stuff in the future but it looks pretty threadbare at the moment.

• This post is deleted!

• Very much agree that the site needs a little judicious use of slightly darker tones here and there to give the pages more hierarchy. Bringing back some borders might be helpful, or some kind of line between posts. Perhaps stickied posts at the top of boards could have a slightly darker background for clarity, too.

Anyway, obviously the board is in its infancy and Andy, you've done amazing work. Thank you!

• This can be done relatively trivially by modifying the site's CSS.

Every other post grey

That's just with:

li:nth-child(even) { background: #CCC}

Though you'd want to make that selector more specific if you only want it to apply to posts, instead of all lists.

• Administrators

yeah, implementing it isn't too hard, but I'm not sure if the change would actually appeal to most users - I'm going to use upvotes on these feature threads to roughly gauge interest in these sorts of changes

• TMD Supporter

There actually is a line between posts, but on the default theme it's almost invisible. I'm also noticing that the site isn't saving the theme when I change it. If I open a new tab and navigate to the site, the theme resets to default.

• @Brass-Man said:

yeah, implementing it isn't too hard, but I'm not sure if the change would actually appeal to most users - I'm going to use upvotes on these feature threads to roughly gauge interest in these sorts of changes

I don't know that I would like each post to be an alternating color. I quite like the clean look of it now. I'm using the "United" theme and the simple horizontal line is a fine indicator of a new post.

• Administrators

another option is darkening the line to made it read better on different monitors ... lots of options here, I want to maximize readability so I'm open to suggestions from everyone

• You could simply create a more readable theme to have selected as the default.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.