TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly

• Click here to see the full blog post

• Hey guys! In an ongoing effort to create more value for TMD'rs and TMD-Supporters, I've been messing around with this thrilling new TMD Podcast and the blog sub-site it's hosted on.

The target here is to release a bi-weekly episode, shooting for just under an hour in length. It may end up more or less frequent depending on how much of the production process I can figure out how to automate.

As the excellent So Many Insane Plays podcast is already putting out great long-form strategy content (and particularly untoppable set reviews), I'm going to try to stick to lighter/shorter segments, with a mix of "vintage news", strategy and community-interest pieces, with a rotating cast of guests.

As of now the episode isn't available on iTunes or any other podcast tracker, there are some technical steps I need to complete before I can apply for that, but I figured there was no reason not to post the file here in the meantime.

Apologies for the state of the blog sub-site - it's a little sloppy at the moment and navigation is clunky, but I figured it would be better to post it while it was functional than sit around trying to make it prettier for a month, especially when I'm sitting on this hot podcast I know y'all want to hear 🙂

• Listening now - this is great! So pumped for this show's existence.

• I'm torn. I feel like Snakestill overshadows Ratstill, but are still excited by the idea having playing Snakestompy in Legacy a few times.

• @nedleeds Would ratstill be with packrats?

• TMD Supporter

I tried listening but BK's sound quality is really awful. 😞

• yeah, internet-call quality across continents is tricky. I can say that later in the episode his audio gets better, and that the next episode (which has already been recorded) the guest audio is a lot clearer, but I suspect it's going to be an ongoing challenge

• @brass-man

Best solution may be to record each side of the call client-side and then synthesize the audio.

• TMD Supporter

@necrogeist I am pretty sure the tool he is using actually does do this. It must have been a bad mic on Brian's end?

• Correct, I have two separate audio tracks. However I'm brand new to audio processing, so if you have any (very specific) advice on how to improve the quality, I'm all ears (and I can release a "remastered" version)

• I enjoyed recording the podcast and was honored to be invited. Thank you to Andy and everyone who left positive comments. 🙂

• @brass-man said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

Correct, I have two separate audio tracks. However I'm brand new to audio processing, so if you have any (very specific) advice on how to improve the quality, I'm all ears (and I can release a "remastered" version)

One of the easiest ways is to host a private YouTube broadcast and then export that to MP3 for editing in bumper musak, etc.. This used to be Hangouts on Air I believe but is now folded into YouTube.

This is how we produced TuskTalk for those who listened (RIP).

• Awesome initiative. I'll try to make some time to listen to it soon.

I really hope you manage to make it so that I can listen to them in my podcast app soon. But I think you made the right choice in just getting it out there first.

• The podcast has been submitted to iTunes, but my understanding is that the approval process can take anywhere from a day to over a week. I'll let people know if and when it's accepted

• @brass-man Itunes also kinda sucks. @thecravenone has our podcast on there, but roughly half of the episodes never show up on my phone.

• @stuart said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

@brass-man Itunes also kinda sucks. @thecravenone has our podcast on there, but roughly half of the episodes never show up on my phone.

FWIW, this is something on your phone causing the problem. Every time it doesn't show up on your phone, it shows up in iTunes, on the Apple website, and in non-iTunes podcast apps.

• @thecravenone You’re correct. Unfortunately, though, if the goal is to get people listening, that’s still problematic; anecdotally, it seems like there’s a significant population of people who ONLY listen to podcasts via their IPhone app (myself included), and if episodes don’t show up on their phones, they probably stop bothering.

This isn’t intended to blame you, Sam; I think it’s something wrong on Apple’s end. And I’m kinda just diving into it here as something for @Brass-Man to be aware of.

• @stuart said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

there’s a significant population of people who ONLY listen to podcasts via their IPhone app (myself included)

Likewise. I only listen to podcasts on my phone while I'm commuting.

• I'm only aware of iTunes as a vector for getting the podcast onto people's apps. Is there some better alternative?

• @brass-man I know there is the "Stitcher" App - it's referenced at the end of some of the podcasts I listen to (e.g., "Find this podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, and wherever else you find your podcasts"), but I'm not sure if there's a separate submission/aggregation process for that app.

• @brass-man said in TMD Vintage Magic Podcast - e1: Brian Kelly:

I'm only aware of iTunes as a vector for getting the podcast onto people's apps. Is there some better alternative?

To submit to iTunes, you submit an RSS feed. That RSS feed may be used by any app. (Though being listed in iTunes certainly helps people find you)

iTunes has a feed-checker you can use that you'll have to pass before they let you submit your cast.

WAF/WHF