My Condolences to The Academy

• As usual I greatly enjoyed the VSL last tonight, and especially the first match of LSV vs Brian Kelly, though it's too bad the "home teams" won't be going to the finals.

LSV got very lucky during multiple matches, but his performance last night, and all season really, has been extremely impressive. It has cemented my opinion of him as a master of the game, independent of format. Is there anything we can learn from his play? Is he taking lines the "Vintage experts" don't?

• @evouga said in My Condolences to The Academy:

As usual I greatly enjoyed the VSL last tonight, and especially the first match of LSV vs Brian Kelly, though it's too bad the "home teams" won't be going to the finals.

LSV got very lucky during multiple matches, but his performance last night, and all season really, has been extremely impressive. It has cemented my opinion of him as a master of the game, independent of format. Is there anything we can learn from his play? Is he taking lines the "Vintage experts" don't?

Thank you, evouga. LSV played pretty much flawlessly particularly in the mentally taxing Standstill match-up. He had the right sense of how far to extend at each juncture. Granted, the final outcome often ends up being determined by usual suspects like having Ancestral Recall in the opener an obscene number of times or one player choking on lands but it's also important to know how to navigate the sequencing to a maximum degree, and LSV did that.

I commend Andy and Rich who also played very well making correct judgment calls in tricky circumstances. To answer your question on whether he's taking lines that would elude Vintage experts, with the exception of a few Standstill decisions, the answer is probably not. I'm confident most medium and high-level players would understand that it's correct to put a topdeck one-outer like Time Vault onto a Voltaic battlefield and would know that you cast Ancestral Recall against your Shops opponents when you draw it incessantly. LSV played without error, though to the credit of most other players, I don't think in many cases there was a magic or mystery above anyone's head with the majority obvious plays that would require extensive study. When the draws are that good, deploy them. 🙂

• I don't know what skill level you are referring to by "Vintage experts".

I will say that one tactic LSV employed that many other Vintage players could learn from is playing Paradoxical Outcome on the opponent's turn. I see a lot of Vintage players just jamming Outcome during their main phase because they are focused on the best case scenario of "going off". That's the wrong line if your opponent is telegraphing something like Mana Drain, Flusterstorm, Pyro, Snap, etc. It's a classic of the old "draw-go" style of Magic.

• what is the link to the vintage video?

When i go to www.vintagesuperleague.com its sorta messy to find

• @yakuzaxrock

Ok i found it on twitch never mind the post

• TMD Supporter

@evouga said in My Condolences to The Academy:

As usual I greatly enjoyed the VSL last tonight, and especially the first match of LSV vs Brian Kelly, though it's too bad the "home teams" won't be going to the finals.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that he took unique & prescient lines of play in the match up against my team.

Although, there is also no doubt that the deck he played was a completely rogue option, and which involved inherently unusual lines.

WAF/WHF