Historical Vintage Exhibition

• Hello all! Together with the help of some great people, I've put together what I hope to be the first of many matches between decks that existed during different eras of the Vintage B&R list!

For our first video, we played Flash Hulk against Burning Wish. You can view the videos here:

Pregame: https://youtu.be/h5MKPKPh6mQ
    Match 1: https://youtu.be/zpQtR2770Vc
    Match 2: https://youtu.be/cP20LJMLKLg

Please let me know what you think! I'm no great player myself, but Brass Man encouraged me to post the videos here regardless. What I'd really love is to interest some of you skilled Vintage enthusiasts to play broken historical decks you love in a gauntlet like none we've seen before!

Edit: And if there's a deck yall think we should test, I'd love to get your submissions. Here's a similar event Stephen Menendian did years ago that we're hoping to build on.

If you'd like to play a particular deck, even better! Let me know and we'll set it up.

• are you a troll?
    it was enough for me to see the first two rounds of the first match ...........
    fetch in play ...double protection ....protean in hand ....green pact for bring esg.....and not play ancestral in opponed eot???

• Making a mistake as a newer player running a 7 year old deck for the first time feels like a more plausible explanation than producing an entire 3-video match just to troll 3 people on TMD.

If you want people to decide that making vintage content isn't worth it, just keep making posts like that 😛

• TMD Supporter

@Miryafa I meant to write earlier, but I think this is a great idea! Something we all wish we had the time to do, or have been curious about at some point in our Magic lives. I have fond memories of my friends and I re-running the old Zak Dolan vs. Bertrand Lestree matchup dozens of times in the past (spoiler: it doesn't end well for Zak), but we had tremendous fun. I often wonder if far down the road, when people tire of 93/94, we'll have a re-writing of Magic history as every metagame gets re-explored year by year. I know @Prospero tried it at one point for those that were nostalgic towards the early/mid 2000s. Might have been an idea ahead of its time.

I'm sure if you asked for people to submit decks, you would get some good recommendations. I've always been curious about the old fabled Maysonet RackBalance deck. I personally don't think it's as timeless as people claim, and would love to see it run against a more modern deck and be proven wrong. Keep doing what you're doing!

• I have yet to watch the videos, but i like the initiative and experiment. I believe someone did something similar for standard once. With faeries, jund and trix etc. It sounded really interesting then, and it also does in the context of vintage. Pitching decks that might have caused restrictions against eachother.

I don't know if you explained it in the introduction video already, and if you did I'm sorry for the stupid question, but do you have a gauntlet already?

Nice to see with this and the podcast that we get more new vintage media. Keep up the good work!

• Awesome idea, and really looking forward to the videos when things quiet down this weekend.

• @joshuabrooks I had a format that I put very little work into developing, but it was basically Vintage through Scourge. It was a lot of fun, and I should have put more work into it. Maybe in the future, unless somebody else wants to take up the mantle.

• the idea is also beautiful but if you do not play the deck in the right way and not reasons the game play choices is not different to just publish the lists. IMHO

• playing slow game with flash deck is like playing dredge and not mullig to look for baazar

• @babau said in Historical Vintage Exhibition:

the idea is also beautiful but if you do not play the deck in the right way and not reasons the game play choices is not different to just publish the lists. IMHO

Beyond this sentence barely making sense, I disagree.

Watching the decks interact can give an idea of the intent behind card choices and interaction.

• @brass-man Thanks Brass Man. You're exactly right - I don't know whether I thought it would be better not to Ancestral so I wouldn't discard or I just missed the click. But either way you can safely chalk it up to my inexperience with the deck and/or interface.

• @joshuabrooks Hey thanks for the support! I'd love to get people's submissions, both deck ideas and also people who want to participate as players.

I won't hesitate to say that I'm inexperienced and might not be as fun to watch as someone who knows the decks better, so I'm happy to get as much participation as possible, in whatever way people want to contribute.

And I can assure you you're right about RackBalance, at least based on a similar event Stephen Menendian did years ago.

• @joep Thanks! Glad you're interested! We haven't set up a gauntlet yet. We just did this exhibition match with two decks that seemed like they should be represented.

• @winterstar Thanks! Hope you like them!

• @prospero Sounds like oldschool (give or take a few years)! I wonder what the top decks would be.

• TMD Supporter

@prospero said in Historical Vintage Exhibition:

@joshuabrooks I had a format that I put very little work into developing, but it was basically Vintage through Scourge. It was a lot of fun, and I should have put more work into it. Maybe in the future, unless somebody else wants to take up the mantle.

Yeah, I remember when you came out with it. I was wishing I lived on Long Island for a week. Would have loved to give the ole keeper/cunning wish deck a spin for old times sake. Not to mention, classic frames!!!

I think the format has potential (lots of decks to play, affordable, and great spells), but I don’t necessarily miss 15min YawgWills :).

• @joshuabrooks I feel like we can do better than Scourge. Even something like, say, Vintage through the end of Zendikar/Innistrad/RTR would be very cool (and again, that's going back the better part of a decade!). I feel like that would be Vintage sans a lot of the really egregious offenders of spells (Dig, Cruise, Mentor, potentially Griselbrand, Dack Fayden, Walking Ballista) would be a heck of a lot of fun too. I would wonder what we know now from just "we have hive minded a lot!" would do to change how we make decks. I know I would now slam 4x Gitaxian Probe into essentially every blue deck I could make.

• @neo_altoid I'm guessing the problem is Trinisphere was printed right after Scourge

• My understanding is that Scourge was picked because:

• it's the exact opposite of Modern
    • it gives you a clean break of "all old-border cards are legal, no new-border cards are legal" (I believe Nick's original rules banned new-bordered reprints)

@neo_altoid
    I don't know that it really makes sense to call any era better or worse, I thought Zen/Innistrad/RTR was unpleasant and I enjoyed Scourge, but I liked Time Spiral block and Shadowmoor block a LOT more than either. Everyone has their favorites.

(it'll be fun to see how many of these favorites the "Historical Vintage Exhibition" showcases)

• @brass-man said in Historical Vintage Exhibition:

I don't know that it really makes sense to call any era better or worse, I thought Zen/Innistrad/RTR was unpleasant and I enjoyed Scourge, but I liked Time Spiral block and Shadowmoor block a LOT more than either. Everyone has their favorites.

Other than the fact that the cost might get out of hand, I'd love to do "historical Vintage". It just seems like great "fun time once in a while" format, no matter which time period you choose (as long as it's like 5-10+ years old).

I also think, though, while the best format is highly debatable, there are some pretty universally derided as awful Vintage formats. The cruise/gush/dig/probe all legal 4x format was no bueno. Ditto 4x Trinisphere legal. I think I was trying to shoot for "formats right before something horrific happened to Vintage".

WAF/WHF