Enchantress Viability?

• Didn't play vintage back in the day so I am unsure if enchantress as an archtype has ever been played.

Some reasons I've considered its viability to transition from legacy to vintage was the inclusion of Earthcraft and Fastbond (obviously power as well).
    Hate cards such as Rest in Peace and Stony Silence are maindeckable in vintage.

Maybe the UG combo variant that seeks to abuse cloud of faries is more vintage playable.

Has anyone tested this concept in recent years? Looking for some suggestions before I start brewing.

• I tried the deck.

It's playable, in the sense that you're not terribly far off how powerful you need to be to compete in Vintage. But it is slow, fragile, and prone to getting run over by the more powerful stuff. So, it's not bad, but if you wanted to make it good, it would take a lot of effort.

As a note, I was on GW all prison all the time enchantress--Solitary+Enchantress is pretty hard lock in Vintage, as most people are one 1 out to it, at best. I had 1x Fastbond in my deck, but 0x Earthcraft.

• Also, Mental Misstep is a Thing.

• Squirrelcraft could still be a thing. Fluster being more prominent than Drain ATM. I think that a bant version of enchantress with Solemnity, Mystic Remora, and the Dark Depths combo alongside whatever other combo maybe viable.

• TMD Supporter

I think of it like a meta deck in the hatebears sort of sense. If you know the meta well and are good at balancing for the meta it can compete. But above the small local level I don't think it is good enough. If you want to see a recent list, i played it at one of the two most recent TSOs.

Link: http://themanadrain.com/topic/1924/team-serious-open-5-19-18-at-the-kidforce-collectibles-berea-oh-results/7

• It's not bad at all, but it kinda falters without it's engine (as expected). I put in some work into the deck before the Gush restriction by pairing the Enchantress engine with Mystic Remora ending in a Solitary Confinement lock. I did not play the usual suspects of Utopia Sprawl etc, because I wanted to play 3 colours and not be punished by Wasteland turned into a 2 or 3 for 1.

@oestrus said in Enchantress Viability?:

Also, Mental Misstep is a Thing.

I don't think this really matters. Once your Enchantress engine is online (which cannot be stopped by anything but FoW really), you can trade cards for Misstep since you're drawing for every enchantment you play. In the version I was testing, outside of Remora I did not play any other cards that had a mana cost of 1 which I cared about resolving that much.

If I were you, addressing the deck's consistency issues would be the first step. The deck's gameplan itself is very powerful and Vintage decks don't run enough answers to enchantments so you attack the metagame is a very different way.

• @hrishi said in Enchantress Viability?:

It's not bad at all, but it kinda falters without it's engine (as expected). I put in some work into the deck before the Gush restriction by pairing the Enchantress engine with Mystic Remora ending in a Solitary Confinement lock. I did not play the usual suspects of Utopia Sprawl etc, because I wanted to play 3 colours and not be punished by Wasteland turned into a 2 or 3 for 1.

@oestrus said in Enchantress Viability?:

Also, Mental Misstep is a Thing.

I don't think this really matters. Once your Enchantress engine is online (which cannot be stopped by anything but FoW really), you can trade cards for Misstep since you're drawing for every enchantment you play. In the version I was testing, outside of Remora I did not play any other cards that had a mana cost of 1 which I cared about resolving that much.

If I were you, addressing the deck's consistency issues would be the first step. The deck's gameplan itself is very powerful and Vintage decks don't run enough answers to enchantments so you attack the metagame is a very different way.

It does matter when you're trying to lay the groundwork, and your bricks all fold to Misstep (e.g. Wild Growth, Utopia Sprawl).

You're correct in that once you're established, you don't really care about it. But until then, it's very much a nuisance.

• @oestrus said in Enchantress Viability?:

It does matter when you're trying to lay the groundwork, and your bricks all fold to Misstep (e.g. Wild Growth, Utopia Sprawl).

As I indicated, I did not play these cards. Please read my reply entirely before responding. If you want to play 3 colours, you cannot afford to play these cards and get 3-for-1'd by an opposing Wasteland. The only 1 cmc cards I cared about resolving was Mystic Remora.

• This post is deleted!

WAF/WHF