Tips for playing Necropotence efficiently on MTGO?

• TMD Supporter

I wasn't sure where to put this as it isn't really a strategy question. I am brand new to Vintage on MTGO. I think I've figured out most of the shortcuts and mechanics, but I got stymied using Necropotence.

Setting aside cards was easy enough, but when I got to the discard and cleanup phase after over necroing things fell apart. Different triggers kept popping in the discard and cleanup phases, and weren't automatically stacking, even though I have it set to stack triggers automatically. And I couldn't figure out how to yield to the discard triggers, or even where I was supposed to click to process the triggers. Basically I burned up seemingly infinite time, and at one point accidentally necroed to death under time pressure.

I was also confused why the cards I discarded with necro in play were placed underneath Necropotence. Are these cards not in the exile zone? It also cluttered the board, which was annoying. I don't suppose there's a way to turn this feature off?

Would anyone be kind enough to provide a remedial step-by-step explanation of how to use necro efficiently on MTGO, and what if any shortcuts I can set to make things go quickly?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Note, I am only asking about MTGO mechanics; I have been playing Necropotence for nearly two decade without incident in paper magic.

• I think the issues with autostacking and autoyield have to do with the fact that it's the cleanup step. I've noticed this with Necro also, and it's even more annoying in a multiplayer EDH game where each person has to pass priority.

• TMD Supporter

In paper magic the rules have been changed so that cards that exile another card, like oblivion ring, place the exiled cards underneath them as to remind players what cards exiled specific cards. I don't remember necro placing cards underneath itself until after that rule went into effect, so I'm pretty sure that's what is happening.

What you should do is goldfish a bunch of matches (set players to one player in the free play room) and practice using necro that way. There's no easy answer, but you'll get it if you just practice.

• @Islandswamp said:

In paper magic the rules have been changed so that cards that exile another card, like oblivion ring, place the exiled cards underneath them as to remind players what cards exiled specific cards.

This "rule" only applies to feature matches on camera. Much like having to place your creatures above your lands.

• @The-Atog-Lord I am pretty sure MTGO just followed suit. I think the "rule" is pretty ridiculous for cards like Necropotence, though, as the exiled cards have no further relevance with respect to Necropotence. It makes perfect sense for cards like Oblivion Ring, but Necropotence? Really?

• TMD Supporter

@The-Atog-Lord You're correct, but that was the only possible explanation I could come up with. I honestly don't actually know why the game does that, but I think it is to show what card exiled what. It can be very cumbersome, and I don't think it is necessary. Could be worse though! At least it works :)

On a side note, my expedition Forbidden Orchards appear to give my opponents foil Spirit Tokens. Seems like a poor use of resources...

• TMD Supporter

@Islandswamp said:

On a side note, my expedition Forbidden Orchards appear to give my opponents foil Spirit Tokens. Seems like a poor use of resources...

Thank you @islandswamp, I spit coffee through my nose when I read this.

• One trick you can do is to press f7 to put all the Necro triggers on the stack rather than click individually.

Same thing works for Mentor/Young Pyromancer triggers

• @shawnthehero True but that only works when you activate necro to draw cards (and F6 is needed once the triggers are on the stack). For some reason it does not work in the cleanup phase whereby each individual card you discard then needs to be exiled from the graveyard (by clicking ok for each trigger separately) although they are all from Necro's triggered ability. Or have I missed some trick for the cleanup phase triggers?

• @kistrand

Yeah I know. Nothing u can do about it

• You should be able to right click on the 'draw a card' when it's on the stack and say 'always yield'. You don't have to stack them and then hit F6. However the cleanup phase part is broken.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.