Thanks for chiming in old friend!

Mox diamond can of course be a liability. It has performed very well though, probably because it plays well with all the cards in the deck that provide actual or virtual card advantage. Ouphe is straight up bad against several expected matches. I recently included mox ruby and moved one ouphe to the sideboard, mostly because ouphe has so high variance and secondly because Im at a point now where I have more artifact mana than half the field. When ouphe is good, I dont care that it shuts off my moxen, because it hurts my opponent so much more.

Deafening silence should be good! Since its only a one-off in the board (and cant be found with once upon a time), I have only played it a few times. I intend to side it in in all blue matches except oath, and expect it to slow the game down to where all my cards are business and a good deal of the opponents cards are air and I win. 🙂

Allosaurus Shepherd is interesting. I will consider it. The most typical play pattern against PO and UR delver (which are the match-ups I have played the most) is that I play a two-drop turn one, which gets countered. Turn two I play a second two drop, and if it doesn't get answered straight away I have a good chance of winning. Shepherd is interesting, because I can reproduce the same pattern without having to play so many moxen. Of course, I dont draw out force of wills when I play it, so non-green cards should be few and far between (Thalia always makes it, but maybe thats it). I dont think I have the time to test it for this summer, because it means reconfiguring the manabase (taking out moxen) to make room for it, and that requires quite a bit of testing.

The deck feels almost ready. I have to figure out what to do to increase my green count by 1-2 cards post sideboard in matchups where I want to keep all four force of vigors. Im debating playing a sylvan library in the main over the third confidant (I dont like it, but may do it. Sylvan in the main was good for me last year). The other consideration is to drop plague engineer in the side for a green card that gives board control or card advantage. Im considering the fourth knight, second ooze or second sylvan library. Suggestions are well received.

Nothing in the sideboard is sacred by the way. Particularly, non-green cards could be replaced.

It's cool that you keep on playing the deck! I don't play red in my builds so I can't comment on that inclusion, but Wrenn and Six seems like a big part of your strategy.

17 lands seems like too few to me. I would play 19 at least. I think that most builds with stuff like Wrenn and Knight of the Reliquary play even more. I'm also not a fan of Mox Diamond (especially with so few lands), although I see the synergy with Wrenn. If you really want a lot of acceleration, I would consider Elvish Spirit Guide, which is very good with Once Upon a Time.

last edited by Griselbrother

@griselbrother Thanks for the feedback!

There isn't little mana in the deck. I haven't seen other knight builds in a long time, but I guess they play fewer moxen than me if they play 19 lands. Where should I go to look at recent lists? I have been building these kinds of decks for many years now, and this one has been tested quite a bit (of course, only by me). In most matchups I side out 1-2 mana sources: I side out a mox whenever deathrite shaman is a fine turn one play and speed is less important (I do this against xerox decks, but not against shops, for instance), or 1-2 lands if I really need 2 mana turn one, but am not concerned about mana disruption from the opponent. The maindeck manabase is built both for speed and consistency (and once upon a time helps). At the moment I wouldn't consider adding land.

I have added and removed a single mox diamond to my builds a bunch of times: The diamond usually ends up being too cute. But in this particular build, the two of them have been gold: My mana requirements are quite steep, and the synergy with W6 is very strong. I will look at the possibility of shaving a diamond when I side out W6, if I think dropping to 6x turn one accelerators is ok.

And: Nothing wrong with elvish spirit guide. I played it over mox diamond a year ago. In this build, mox diamond performs way better. Of course, powering out collector ouphe with diamond seems completely silly, but if the opponent needs to get rid of it to advance his gameplan, im more than happy.

Hi all,

Since last update I have tested little, but pondered and discussed my options and done some changes.

The expected meta is now: Oath, 2x UR Arcanist, Jeskai Arcanist, Bug Delver, White Eldrazi, Ravager Shops, HollowVine, PO Storm, PO Mentor, Bomberman, Breach and 1x blue nonsense

New cards highlighted:

3 windswept heath
3 verdant catacombs
2 savannah
1 taiga
1 bayou
1 scrubland
4 wasteland
1 strip mine
1 karakas
1 the tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

1 black lotus
1 mox emerald
1 mox pearl
1 mox jet
1 mox ruby
2 mox diamond
1 chalice of the void

4 wrenn and six
2 swords to plowshares
1 mental misstep
3 abrupt decay
4 once upon a time
4 force of vigor

4 deathrite shaman
4 thalia, guardian of thraben
2 collector ouphe
3 dark confidant
3 knight of the reliquary

Sideboard:
1 swords to plowshares (Comes in in 7 matchups)
2 surgical extraction (Comes in in 6 matchups)
3 pyroblast (Comes in in 9 matchups)
1 abrupt decay (Comes in in 9 matchups)
1 grafdiggers cage (Comes in in 5 matchups)
1 sylvan library (Comes in in 11 matchups)
1 dark confidant (Comes in in 8 matchups)
2 collector ouphe (Comes in in 5 matchups)
1 elvish reclaimer (Comes in in 8 matchups)
1 scavenging ooze (Comes in in 8 matchups)
1 Knight of the reliquary (Comes in in 8 matchups)

Updated sideboard plan:

Oath: -2 collector ouphe, -3 dark confidant, -4 deathrite shaman, -1 savannah, -1 tabernacle, -1 chalice (11) +2 surgical extraction, +1 abrupt decay, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 swords to plowshares, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 grafdiggers cage, +1 knight of the reliquary (11) (22 green in library, minimum)

Im not particularly happy with elvish reclaimer against oath. If I play reclaimer and the opponent responds with oath, the reclaimer can only find a tapped Karakas and the oath player gets a full turn to go off. At the same time, I have a bunch of creatures that are little but liabilities against oath that I want to take out. Loosing containment priest hurts here. Grafdiggers cage is a weaker card in my deck, but I like having a strong one-drop and a piece of hate that is not a creature.

2x UR Arcanist (brings in blood moon): -2 collector ouphe, -1 Karakas, -1 force of vigor, -4 once upon a time, -1 mox ruby, -2 swords to plowshares (11) +1 abrupt decay, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 Knight of the reliquary, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 dark confidant, +1 scavenging ooze, +2 surgical extraction (11) (22 green in library)

I will try to get maximum value from all my cards and if I can kill off or control arcanist, I should dominate on the board. The surgicals are earmarked lightning bolt, but can function as a counter to a flashbacked ancestral. The three pyroblasts and last plow in the deck are weak to his counter-magic. I will do what I can to play them on his turn.

Jeskai Arcanist: -4 force of vigor, -4 once upon a time, -2 collector ouphe, -1 mox ruby (11) +1 abrupt decay, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 knight of the reliquary, +2 surgical extraction, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 dark confidant (11)

In this matchup, there are still weak cards in the deck after boarding. I think I should drop one mana source, but am unsure if the ruby is weaker than the second surgical extraction, or if the third swords to plowshares should come in.

Bug Delver: -3 force of vigor, -4 once upon a time, -2 collector ouphe (9) +3 pyroblast, +1 swords to plowshares, +1 sylvan library, +1 knight of the reliquary, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 dark confidant (9)

This should be one of my hardest matchups. I plan to keep all my mana, and even tabernacle as a late-game option I could try to maneuver towards if I fall behind on creatures. My opponent probably plays TNN, and after cutting plague engineers, I need to counter it with pyroblast or pressure with two knights to go over it. The fourth dark confidant found its place in the sideboard mainly for this match. Deathrite and W6 should be really good, while Thalia could be cut if I decide I want 1-2 more force of vigors for leylines and other sideboard tech on his side.

White Eldrazi: -1 force of vigor, -1 once upon a time, -1 chalice of the void, -1 mental misstep, -2 collector ouphe, -1 thalia, (7) +1 swords to plowshares, +1 abrupt decay, +1 knight of the reliquary, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 sylvan library, +1 dark confidant (7) (25 green in library)

This sideboarding looks strange, but I belie that after ouphe, chalice and misstep, the fourth thalia and the fourth force are the worst cards in the matchup.

Ravager Shops: -1 chalice of the void, -1 mental misstep, -3 thalia, -2 once upon a time (7) +1 swords to plowshares, +2 collector ouphe, +1 knight of the reliquary, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 dark confidant (7) (26 green in library)

The shops player may opt to play Golos stax or something similar. Even though games change, I believe sideboarding should be the same: I have enough removal to be the control, and I will cut 3 or 4 thalia, since it slows down all the removal spells.

HollowVine: -2 collector ouphe, -3 abrupt decay, -1 mental misstep, -1 chalice of the void, -1 Karakas (8) +1 swords to plowshares, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 knight of the reliquary, +2 surgical extraction, +1 sylvan library, +1 grafdiggers cage (8) (23 green in library)

The plan here is really simple: Kill the first few creatures with spells, stonewall with Kotr for a turn and land tabernacle. W6 gets tabernacle back if he wastes it and tries for a comeback. Im not interested in paying an extra red to pyroblast his counterspells: There’s no time, and he will run out of counterspells quickly.

PO Storm: -4 deathrite, -2 wrenn and six, -1 Karakas, -1 Savannah, -1 Tabernacle (9) +2 collector ouphe, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 swords to plowshares, +1 abrupt decay, +1 grafdiggers cage (9) (22 green in library, minimum)

The single grafdiggers cage made its way into the library because it answers tinker perfectly (I hadn’t considered that it stops Bolas’ citadel).

PO Mentor: -3 deathrite, -1 dark confidant, -4 wrenn and six, -1 Karakas, -1 Savannah (10) +2 collector ouphe, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +knight of the reliquary, +1 swords to plowshares, +1 abrupt decay, +1 grafdiggers cage (9) (22 green in library, minimum)

I will try to find out if he plays back to basics. If he does, I will keep in 3 deathrites and cut the tabernacle and one knight instead. Tabernacle isn’t a great answer to monastery mentor in this matchup, since he plays a bunch of basic lands.

Bomberman: -2 mox diamond, -4 wrenn and six, -2 swords to plowshares, -1 Karakas, -1 Savannah, -1 Tabernacle (11) +2 collector ouphe, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 abrupt decay, +2 surgical extraction, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 dark confidant (10) (25 green in library)

I will be on the lookout for tinker in his main or side and side in cage and plows if I see it. All my hate hits bomberman hard, so this match should be one of my easiest, as long as he aims for the salvagers kill.

Breach: -2 mox diamond, -4 wrenn and six, -4 force of vigor, -1 swords to plowshares, -1 Karakas, -1 Tabernacle (13) +2 collector ouphe, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 abrupt decay, +2 surgical extraction, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 dark confidant, +1 grafdiggers cage, +1 knight of the reliquary (13)

I’ve never played against breach before, but it seems as though it needs a few turns to set up while it plays control. So I can ease a bit on the fast mana. W6 looks lackluster, but as far as I can discern, he cannot win through thalia, ouphe or cage. At the meantime, deathrite and ooze snack at his graveyard. Surgical should probably be aimed at ancestral or bolt in the midgame or black lotus or lions eye diamond if he is about to go off. I may be wrong here, but it seems like I should not aim at his combo pieces directly (breach, brain freeze or sprite dragon), since I will win the game if I can prevent his deck from functioning and lose the game if I spend too much resources trying to survive. Still: Pyroblasts, abrupt decays and the last remaining plow can easily be aimed at a sprite dragon.

If library is coming in for 11 matchups, maybe you could mpve it to md.

I have a savage Junk Hatebears list that I've been brewing that takes a very different approach. I may even start a new thread to talk about it, because I think it deserves its own archetype. I'll hint at that its built around Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose.

Hi all,

The Cave Open was held 11.07. I didn’t have a good tournament and went 2-3. This was the meta: Oath, Jeskai Arcanist, Bug Aggro, White Eldrazi, Golos Stax, HollowVine, PO Storm, PO Mentor, Doomsday, Breach, 4-colour Planeswalker Control, Bant Aggro, Song of Creation Combo and yours truly.
A short write-up of my matches at the bottom. Since I use this forum as a notebook for coming years, Ill include the sideboard plan first. Feel free to scroll right through it.

I had made a few more changes, notably making room for the fourth confidant and fourth Knight in the sideboard for grindy matchups. This is what I went with:

3 windswept heath
3 verdant catacombs
2 savannah
1 taiga
1 bayou
1 scrubland
4 wasteland
1 strip mine
1 karakas
1 the tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

1 black lotus
1 mox emerald
1 mox pearl
1 mox jet
1 mox ruby
2 mox diamond
1 chalice of the void

4 wrenn and six
2 swords to plowshares
1 mental misstep
3 abrupt decay
4 once upon a time
4 force of vigor

4 deathrite shaman
4 thalia, guardian of thraben
2 collector ouphe
3 dark confidant
3 knight of the reliquary

Sideboard:
1 swords to plowshares (Comes in in 7 matchups)
2 surgical extraction (Comes in in 6 matchups)
3 pyroblast (Comes in in 9 matchups)
1 abrupt decay (Comes in in 9 matchups)
1 grafdiggers cage (Comes in in 5 matchups)
1 sylvan library (Comes in in 11 matchups)
1 dark confidant (Comes in in 8 matchups)
2 collector ouphe (Comes in in 5 matchups)
1 elvish reclaimer (Comes in in 8 matchups)
1 scavenging ooze (Comes in in 8 matchups)
1 Knight of the reliquary (Comes in in 8 matchups)

Updated sideboard plan:

Oath: -2 collector ouphe, -3 dark confidant, -4 deathrite shaman, -1 savannah, -1 tabernacle, -1 chalice (11) +2 surgical extraction, +1 abrupt decay, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 swords to plowshares, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 grafdiggers cage, +1 knight of the reliquary (11) (22 green in library, minimum)

Im not particularly happy with elvish reclaimer against oath. If I play reclaimer and the opponent responds with oath, the reclaimer can only find a tapped Karakas and the oath player gets a full turn to go off. At the same time, I have a bunch of creatures that are little but liabilities against oath that I want to take out. Loosing containment priest hurts here. Grafdiggers cage is a weaker card in my deck, but I like having a strong one-drop and a piece of hate that is not a creature.

2x UR Arcanist (brings in blood moon): -2 collector ouphe, -1 Karakas, -1 force of vigor, -4 once upon a time, -1 mox ruby, -2 swords to plowshares (11) +1 abrupt decay, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 Knight of the reliquary, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 dark confidant, +1 scavenging ooze, +2 surgical extraction (11) (22 green in library)

I will try to get maximum value from all my cards and if I can kill off or control arcanist, I should dominate on the board. The surgicals are earmarked lightning bolt, but can function as a counter to a flashbacked ancestral. The three pyroblasts and last plow in the deck are weak to his counter-magic. I will do what I can to play them on his turn.

Jeskai Arcanist: -4 force of vigor, -4 once upon a time, -2 collector ouphe, -1 mox ruby (11) +1 abrupt decay, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 knight of the reliquary, +2 surgical extraction, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 dark confidant (11)

In this matchup, there are still weak cards in the deck after boarding. I think I should drop one mana source, but am unsure if the ruby is weaker than the second surgical extraction, or if the third swords to plowshares should come in.

Bug Delver: -3 force of vigor, -4 once upon a time, -2 collector ouphe (9) +3 pyroblast, +1 swords to plowshares, +1 sylvan library, +1 knight of the reliquary, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 dark confidant (9)

This should be one of my hardest matchups. I plan to keep all my mana, and even tabernacle as a late-game option I could try to maneuver towards if I fall behind on creatures. My opponent probably plays TNN, and after cutting plague engineers, I need to counter it with pyroblast or pressure with two knights to go over it. The fourth dark confidant found its place in the sideboard mainly for this match. Deathrite and W6 should be really good, while Thalia could be cut if I decide I want 1-2 more force of vigors for leylines and other sideboard tech on his side.

White Eldrazi: -1 force of vigor, -1 once upon a time, -1 chalice of the void, -1 mental misstep, -2 collector ouphe, -1 thalia, (7) +1 swords to plowshares, +1 abrupt decay, +1 knight of the reliquary, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 sylvan library, +1 dark confidant (7) (25 green in library)

This sideboarding looks strange, but I believe that after ouphe, chalice and misstep, the fourth thalia and the fourth force are the worst cards in my deck.

Ravager Shops: -1 chalice of the void, -1 mental misstep, -3 thalia, -2 once upon a time (7) +1 swords to plowshares, +2 collector ouphe, +1 knight of the reliquary, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 dark confidant (7) (26 green in library)

The shops player may opt to play Golos stax or something similar. Even though games change, I believe sideboarding should be the same: I have enough removal to be the control, and I will cut 3 or 4 thalia, since it slows down all the removal spells.

HollowVine: -2 collector ouphe, -3 abrupt decay, -1 mental misstep, -1 chalice of the void, -1 Karakas (8) +1 swords to plowshares, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 elvish reclaimer, +1 knight of the reliquary, +2 surgical extraction, +1 sylvan library, +1 grafdiggers cage (8) (23 green in library)

The plan here is really simple: Kill the first few creatures with spells, stonewall with Kotr for a turn and land tabernacle. W6 gets tabernacle back if he wastes it and tries for a comeback. Im not interested in paying an extra red to pyroblast his counterspells: There’s no time, and he will run out of counterspells quickly.

PO Storm: -4 deathrite, -2 wrenn and six, -1 Karakas, -1 Savannah, -1 Tabernacle (9) +2 collector ouphe, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 swords to plowshares, +1 abrupt decay, +1 grafdiggers cage (9) (22 green in library, minimum)

The single grafdiggers cage made its way into the library because it answers tinker perfectly (I hadn’t considered that it stops Bolas’ citadel).

PO Mentor: -3 deathrite, -1 dark confidant, -4 wrenn and six, -1 Karakas, -1 Savannah (10) +2 collector ouphe, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +knight of the reliquary, +1 swords to plowshares, +1 abrupt decay, +1 grafdiggers cage (9) (22 green in library, minimum)

I will try to find out if he plays back to basics. If he does, I will keep in 3 deathrites and cut the tabernacle and one knight instead. Tabernacle isn’t a great answer to monastery mentor in this matchup, since he plays a bunch of basic lands.

Bomberman: -2 mox diamond, -4 wrenn and six, -2 swords to plowshares, -1 Karakas, -1 Savannah, -1 Tabernacle (11) +2 collector ouphe, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 abrupt decay, +2 surgical extraction, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 dark confidant (10) (25 green in library).

I will be on the lookout for tinker in his main or side and side in cage and plows if I see it. All my hate hits bomberman hard, so this match should be one of my easiest, as long as he aims for the salvagers kill.

Breach: -2 mox diamond, -4 wrenn and six, -4 force of vigor, -1 swords to plowshares, -1 Karakas, -1 Tabernacle (13) +2 collector ouphe, +3 pyroblast, +1 sylvan library, +1 abrupt decay, +2 surgical extraction, +1 scavenging ooze, +1 dark confidant, +1 grafdiggers cage, +1 knight of the reliquary (13)

I’ve never played against breach before, but it seems as though it needs a few turns to set up while it plays control. So I can ease a bit on the fast mana. W6 looks lackluster, but as far as I can discern, he cannot win through thalia, ouphe or cage. At the meantime, deathrite and ooze snack at his graveyard. Surgical should probably be aimed at ancestral or bolt in the midgame or black lotus or lions eye diamond if he is about to go off. I may be wrong here, but it seems like I should not aim at his combo pieces directly (breach, brain freeze or sprite dragon), since I will win the game if I can prevent his deck from functioning and lose the game if I spend too much resources trying to survive. Still: Pyroblasts, abrupt decays and the last remaining plow can easily be aimed at a sprite dragon.

Tourney Report:

In the weeks prior to the tourney, I had played plenty of vintage and thought of vintage way more than I should. I had slept poorly and wasn´t very focused. I also intended to be drunk from round one: I like that very much, but it contributed to keeping hands I shouldn´t have kept and not reading my opponents all too well. Needless to say, I am not at all happy with the 2-3 record.

Match 1: 2-1 against Bug Aggro

I was well prepared for this matchup. It revolves around having deathrite supremacy: Whoever uses deathrite the best and/or nukes the other player’s deathrites will come out on top. I have W6 and Knight as trumps, but can still lose to TNN and Leovold.

I drew a completely bonkers lotus hand game 1. He played TNN relatively early but needed to keep it on defense against Kotr, which is a hard position to win from. I ended up grinding him out with Tabernacle and deathrite. Game 2 I had advantage on the board, but he beat me down with TNN. Game 3, I had another bonkers lotus hand and nuked several of his lands with W6.

Match 2: 1-2 against Doomsday

This was the match-up I feared the most going into the tournament. My disruption is quite poor against him. The doomsday player can choose to put 2 thassa´s oracle in the pile and go off slowly, playing the second as his last card. Force of vigor is pretty much useless and ouphe only cuts him off his fastest win with lotus. I basically need to hit Thalia turn one and follow up with 2-3 wastelands to have a chance. If he resolves Doomsday, I´m pretty much done for.

I managed to steal game 1 with several wastelands and a timely misstep on dark ritual (after letting mystical tutor resolve). Game 2 I made the biggest mistake of the tournament: I was gunning for turn one Thalia, and kept a six card hand with bayou, mox emerald and once upon a time, hoping to see Thalia. I saw Thalia, but couldn´t keep it, since I lacked white mana. I ended up taking a deathrite instead and got steamrolled. In game 3 I was able to pressure his manabase some and decided to play Kotr on turn 3-4, rather than hold abrupt decay for Oracle, when he was on 2 lands. He drew another land, cast Doomsday and won on the spot. He revealed after the game that he had put a back-up thassa´s oracle in his pile: Decaying the first oracle would have delayed his win with 2 turns, which would still have been fast enough.

I only knew about this deck being in the meta two days before the tourney and decided not to adjust. I onestly don´t know how to adjust.

Match 3: 2-0 against Golos Stax

This seems like a very favourable match-up. I have W6 to out-grind him, deathrite to stay ahead on mana and Knight to tower over his creatures.

In game 1, I opened on a land and a mox and established my mana effectively, while keeping him below five mana at all times. He played crucible, but I had W6 and wasteland and used deathrite to keep his graveyard devoid of lands. In game two, he opened on land, mox, sphere of resistence. I answered with land, mox ruby, mox emerald, mox diamond. He went to play his second sphere and I responded with force of vigor on his mox and first sphere. I was out of cards, but drew business and started nuking his lands. He couldn’t play a meaningful spell after that.

Match 4: 0-2 against oath

This was possibly the most miserable game of magic I have played in my life. I believe my match-up against oath is quite strong, but I had not properly identified Oko as the card to aim for in the match-up.

Game 1 took forever: I destroyed 1 or 2 oaths, but he played Oko, which my deck has difficulty beating through. The stupid subgame of elks ramming into eachother lasted until he hardcast Niv-Mizzet and then Griselbrand for the win. I thought I could manage Niv-Mizzet, but should have scooped to save a few minutes. Game 2 was extremely frustrating. He went orchard, mox oath. I responded with land, mox, abrupt decay, surgical extraction on oath (!!!). After that I tried to play as fast as possible, to have time for a game 3, but he played 3 Okos: I beat the first one down, spending ages to do so, abrupt decayed the second and ended up losing to the third. I´m sure if I had realized that there was only time for two matches, I would have beaten the third Oko and got a draw. I was on tilt most of the match and played sloppily, due both to my anger and drunkenness. My opponent (a dear old friend) also played as fast as humanly possible. Oko stole at least 40 minutes of our time, and I have nothing but hate for that card.

Match 5: 1-2 against PO Storm

This match-up clearly favours me. The two of us have played about a hundred games and I´ve won the vast majority. But to win, I need to play two of Thalia/ouphe/force of vigor by turn two. In two games that day, I didn´t draw more than one such piece and he drew very strong hands. He had Bolas Citadel turn two in both those games. I´m honestly not a hundred percent sure that I took a game from him. I think we had one of those games where he forces a Thalia, but I ride ouphe to victory.

After the event, I´m very happy with the deck, both maindeck and sideboard, and I wholeheartedly recommend trying it out. Chime in if you have a good idea for how to adjust to Doomsday.

@recklessmbermage
Aven Mindcensor in response to Doomsday is pretty funny.

Facing Oko is not great magic I agree, and you can't have infinite decays. Did you bring in the Pyroblasts? Decays AND Pyroblast should destroy Oath these days. On paper it looks like you have a very strong match up against Oath. But sometimes their advantage of card draw/deck manipulation and a Oko that isn't answered quickly, could result in ; them stealing a game.

last edited by Guli

@guli said in Junk Hatebears:

Facing Oko is not great magic I agree, and you can't have infinite decays. Did you bring in the Pyroblasts? Decays AND Pyroblast should destroy Oath these days. On paper it looks like you have a very strong match up against Oath. But sometimes their advantage of card draw/deck manipulation and a Oko that isn't answered quickly, could result in ; them stealing a game.

Agreed. Yes, I sided in the pyroblasts.

@griselbrother said in Junk Hatebears:

@recklessmbermage
Aven Mindcensor in response to Doomsday is pretty funny.

That does sound funny! It is a turn two play though, which I think is going to be too late a lot of the time. This deck is hurt quite a bit by leonin arbiter, but that seems like a stronger card than mindcensor against Doomsday. If I were to sideboard any of the two, I would go for the arbiter and accept the dissynergy with the manabase and the knights.

@tittliewinks22 said in Junk Hatebears:

If library is coming in for 11 matchups, maybe you could mpve it to md.

I also thought so for a while. This list maindecks fairly narrow but strong cards for two kinds of match-ups: Ouphes and forces for fast artifact-based opponents and knights and W6 for grindy opponents. When sideboarding, it will typically cut cards from one of these categories (and Thalias when facing taxing decks) and board in more cards from the other. Youll notice from the sideboard plan that the deck sideboards a large number of cards for any match-up. Sylvan library is probably at its strongest against oath, but in general confidant is a higher impact card and what I want to play maindeck. Library comes in in most matches because it is better than one of the narrower cards that are cut, not due to its own strength. It also helps that it bolsters the green-count post-board.

In my last post, I didn´t give any credit to the players that bested the rest of us in the tournament: Breach took down Mentor Paradoxical in one semifinal, while Hollowvine beat Oath. Mentor Paradoxical took third place over Oath, while HollowVine beat Breach in the finals. All four very competent players on strong decks.

Views