R/G hatebears (deck in Progress)

• Martyr of Ashes
    Melira, Sylvok Outcast
    Soldier of Fortune

• @chronatog Soldier of Fortune? The ol' shuffle-your-opponent's-deck-until-they-quit strategy?

• Orcish Lumberjack!

• @dr-j said in R/G hatebears (deck in Progress):

@chronatog Soldier of Fortune? The ol' shuffle-your-opponent's-deck-until-they-quit strategy?

If you decide so. And if you do, perhaps you can combine it with Cosi's Trickster :), but this is a different color and off-topic here.

I would use Soldier of Fortune to make games against library manipulation decks a bit more fair.

• @ribby
    I want to build a hatebear deck that uses spirit guides. Null rod is strong here, and magus of the moon/blood moon could be auto wins if they come down early. As far as where to go from there, I'm evaluating my options.

• @chronatog
    I really like soldier of fortune , for a few reasons, if your using sylvan library its amazing. Also most decks these days are using some form of library manipulation; Sensei top, sylvan, braisnstorm, ponder, preordain, jace etc. I also think that being a dude is an asset, since he won't always be useful (against shops/dredge) so having a body is a good thing there.
    I have ordered a playset. Thanks for the idea.

• @john-cox said in R/G hatebears (deck in Progress):

I really like soldier of fortune , for a few reasons, if your using sylvan library its amazing. Also most decks these days are using some form of library manipulation; Sensei top, sylvan, braisnstorm, ponder, preordain, jace etc. I also think that being a dude is an asset, since he won't always be useful (against shops/dredge) so having a body is a good thing there.
    I have ordered a playset. Thanks for the idea.

Glad that you found it useful. Soldier of Fortune is less functional than Deathrite Shaman, for example, but he has an interesting ability. With all this group thinking and interbreeding sometimes an unexpected obscure old card can help to win a game or two 🙂

• @here

So the core of what I see that might work could be,

4 harsh mentor
    4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
    4 Scab-Clan Berserker
    4 null rod
    4 elvish spirit guide
    4 simian spirit guide
    4 magus of the moon
    4 lightning bolt
    2 ramunap excavator
    18 ish land
    4 meta slots

or

4 null rod
    4 simian spirit guide
    4 elvish spirit guide
    4 magus of the moon
    4 stingscourger
    4 tin street hooligan
    4 lightning bolt
    4 deathrite shaman
    4 dryad militand
    2 ramunap excavator
    18ish land
    4 meta slots

any suggestions on which to test first?

• Looks like green is pretty expensable and the decklist leaned towards the red hatebears deck, which is kind of a natural course for this kind of deck IMO. I'd recommend to cut green entirely and play blood moon. It's really an insane card in vintage. It stops bazaar, blue decks usually play only 1 basic land (which won't do much on it's own without moxen), against shops it can slow down and hit the factories. It was always awful for me when people played blood moon against me in vintage, when playing BUG, URw and also with survival.

Chalice sounds great here, playing it for 0 on the play to prevent mana acceleration or for 1 against blue decks on the draw. And cavern of souls to prevent FoW on the hatebears sounds pretty legit too.

Also, I'd play at least black lotus for potential of an explosive turn 1. It can be awkward to draw it later in the game with null rod, which is the reason I wouldn't recommend moxen in general, but a turn 1 moon, or scab-clan, or eidolon + null rod, sounds pretty bad for vintage decks to deal with.

WAF/WHF