[GRN] Assassin's Trophy

• @serracollector 4 Null Rod

• @thecravenone

More on the drawback:
    On average based on meta % and draw %'s, even the first one you cast will not have a drawback and the second one you cast will almost never have a drawback.

@Protoaddct

Again, I don't think the comparison to decay makes a lot of sense. Decay is being played for its uncounterability. There are a substantial number of targets that this hits that Decay doesn't:
    Any Lands. Most notably: Basic Lands, Bazaar, Tolarian and Mishra's Factory.
    JtMS, Tezzeret, and any other Planeswalker over 3 CMC.
    Hollow One, Lodestone Golem, Oath Creatures, non-BSC tinker creatures and any other creature over 3 CMC.
    Leyline of the Void. (highly relevant to a Dredge player that wants a truly universal answer).

• @vaughnbros said in [GOR] Assassin's Trophy:

Again, I don't think the comparison to decay makes a lot of sense. Decay is being played for its uncounterability. There are a substantial number of targets that this hits that Decay doesn't:

I think it makes a ton of sense--the things you're targetting are going to be the same some medium percentage of the time, and comparing "broadly usable removal for BG" spells seems right.

That said, I think your analysis is broadly correct--you want this card if you intend to target Leyline of the Void (this is the most broad, castable anti-hate card to ever exist), or if it's going to be Sinkhole some reasonable percentage of the time for you (and Sinkhole is an effect you want). Otherwise, Abrupt Decay having the words "Can't be countered" is probably better than the bonus set targets you get.

• @vaughnbros said in [GOR] Assassin's Trophy:

non-BSC tinker creatures and any other creature over 3 CMC.

isn't this usually sphinx of the steel wind, which has protection from this spell? or are people playing something else?

• @neo_altoid I would add Jace the Mind Sculptor as a huuuuuge target that this hits and decay does not.

• @neo_altoid

you want this card if you intend to target Leyline of the Void/JtMS/any other 4CC+, or if it's going to be Sinkhole some >reasonable percentage of the time for you

My point is that this is a large class of targets that Abrupt Decay has never been usable for giving this card a totally different type of functionality.

As a Dredge player, my removal's first purpose is to remove Leyline since my Force of Wills / Unmasks can't do that. So abrupt decay was not even in the conversation.

As a control player, my removal's first purpose is to remove a game ending threat. So again, Abrupt Decay was not even in the conversation.

• I played a few test games yesterday with a somewhat stock Inferno Oath list against BUG Control.

He had 4 Assassin's Trophy and 4 Abrupt Decays in his main deck.

My oath didn't trigger once during the whole evening. I desperately hard-cast my Inferno Titan once, but after one swing it got assassinated. I will definitely need to tweek my deck I think.

Now, my losses may be due to lots of reasons, but so far Assassin's Trophy seems like the real deal.

• TMD Supporter

@claasch said in [GRN] Assassin's Trophy:

My oath didn't trigger once during the whole evening. I desperately hard-cast my Inferno Titan once, but after one swing it got assassinated. I will definitely need to tweek my deck I think.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that you definitely need to tweak your deck after a testing session against one BUG control list, unless your metagame is swamped with BUG players that you expect to immediately go to 4x Decay 4x Trophy.

• @revengeanceful Perhaps not:-) However, there are in fact several BUG players in my local play group, and I expects these to main deck assassins trophy.

• TMD Supporter

@claasch Seems reasonable to adjust if that's the case. 🙂

WAF/WHF