[GOR] Creeping Chill

• 0_1536940241115_DnEIumKW4AAmQVF.png

Important to note that it's a trigger, not a cast, and that it can go through a Grafdigger's Cage.

I'm intrigued.

• I really hope this doesn't just slot into cookie cutter dredge lists, but I don't think so. They're usually pretty tight and this card 'does nothing'. What'd be more interesting would be if you could make a lands dredge deck that could take advantage of this for survivability and in general play around cage since a lot of sideboards rely on cage to give slots that work vs both oath and dredge.

• Now this is very interesting. The rest of the cards spoiled so far are just potentially marginal upgrades, but this is a potentially build around card in Dredge.

If you mill your entire deck, you are talking about a maximum of 12 damage with an expected value around 10. So the question is how do you get the other 8-14 damage in?

• @vaughnbros Perhaps we go full transformational? Hollow One, Gurmag, this? Molderhulk?

• This feels more like a modern plant where dredge may need a life cushion against red aggro. In vintage I cannot imagine the passive damage being enough unless there was some other direct and mana free way to finish them off. Are there any pitch or flashback for non mana cards that do damage to face im not thinking of other than Gut Shot and soul spike?

Like if you could run 7+ of these it could easily be an archetype in and of itself, just mill self and win with lab maniac as a backup. Then again maybe soul spike is something worth looking at.

• in open hand is pitch for unmask....

• @protoaddct Lava Dart, but that's not any help.

• @protoaddct

There's nothing manaless, but there are cards that cost low amounts of mana with flashback that could be used, similar to what the modern build does.

It also gets people into Blooghast haste range, which is a win con in and of itself (it just doesn't avoid hate as well as you'd probably want it to).

@Oestrus

That is certainly a route. Going to 0 Return/Therapy/Narc/Bloodghast/ect with a plan to actually cast a 1 or 2 mana card main deck opens up a ton of design space in the deck.

• If you wanna be crafty and try a manaless pitch way to win you could try starting with this:

4x chancellor of the dross
    4x chancellor of the forge
    4x blazing shoal
    4x soul spike
    4x creeping chill
    4x bazaar
    4x noxious revival
    4x street wraith
    4x squee, goblin nabob
    4x stinkweed imp
    4x mental misstep
    1x gitaxian probe

I dont think you could run serum powder in this because you need your pieces, and this is as far as I got. It feels like a thing that will Turn one 10-15% of games and then just lose the rest on overwhelming fashion.

• This card is close but I don’t think it quite gets there.

It needed to do 5 damage if exiled. So that playing 4 alone would be a legit strategy.

It also needed a different template, reading “if this card would be placed in your graveyard from your library, exile it instead and do damage” that way it could have played through Rest In Peace and Leyline of the Void. As it reads, a tormod’s Crypt can stop it. Better yet, it could have read “if it becomes exiled, do damage” to combo with sickening shoal and unmask.

The only good thing it has going is that it does play through Cage.

• I wonder if dealing 12 damage and gaining 12 life per game is relevant in Dredge lists. The life gain can buy you time against things like Shops, but is 12 damage relevant? I always think that Dredge, when it wins, it wins by a large margin.

@gkraigher said in [GOR] Creeping Chill:

This card is close but I don’t think it quite gets there.

It needed to do 5 damage if exiled. So that playing 4 alone would be a legit strategy.

It also needed a different template, reading “if this card would be placed in your graveyard from your library, exile it instead and do damage” that way it could have played through Rest In Peace and Leyline of the Void. As it reads, a tormod’s Crypt can stop it. Better yet, it could have read “if it becomes exiled, do damage” to combo with sickening shoal and unmask.

Any of these options you give would make the card too good. Dealing 5 damage is waaaaaay too good.

• This is good enough I think if your trying to win a grindy game with Bloodghasts and Ichorids. Or even thugs and imps game 2.

• @fsecco said in [GOR] Creeping Chill:

is 12 damage relevant? I always think that Dredge, when it wins, it wins by a large margin.

I think the question isn't necessarily the margin that dredge wins the games it wins by, but the margin that it loses the games it loses by. we don't need new cards for the set of games that are already in the win column. there's obviously some number of games, particularly vs shops(as the deck where we race and life total matters, that would be won if dredge had gained 6 or dealt 6 more.

• They will just adapt and add more/ change hate pieces.
    Montolio is already running 4x Leyline of the Void in sb, I guess others will just follow.

• @matori In Workshops?!

• @matori

The less variety of hate pieces = Easier it is for a Dredge player to counter. If this card can force everyone onto Leyline, then as Dredge you just need to have a great sideboard package for beating Leyline.

• @oestrus yep

• @fsecco Bless their hearts.

WAF/WHF