Collectors and International Edition Cards for Sanctioned Play

• I am going to keep this short, since I feel the argument is a simple one. Now that there is an official policy on Proxys for foil only cards like Kess in Legacy and Nexus in standard, I believe it is time for Wizards to extend the policy further to include CE/IE cards in the Eternal Formats.

I have no idea if this somehow infringes on the reserved list (not sure how it would...) but the merits of this have to outweigh the negatives. Access to cheaper duals for legacy, and additional power for Vintage players. This would add approximately 14,000 copies of these cards into the pool of available duals and power, and could help facilitate additional sanctioned Eternal events in the future.

Thoughts?

• TMD Supporter

This is an old argument and most people seem to be firmly on one side or the other, and wizards has never even hinted at allowing them.

I will say, the interesting aspect of CE is that it is already within striking distance of where moxes and duals were priced 1 yr ago, and that’s only with one unofficial format (old school) allowing them. I don’t see this helping make Vintage that much more accessible other than for old school players that can convert to occasional Vintage tournament play.

I would argue that if they became legal, there would be almost zero price benefit to the format, as demand would quickly outstrip the addition of 13,000 cards. As old school has shown us, demand for mint CE might overtake demand for beat power/duals.

I agree with you, I just don’t think it will help that much, and might even drive prices higher.

• @joshuabrooks My main point is because it won't hurt anything, and the proxy precedent has already been set, then why not?

• This should have been done after Innistrad was released. You can now play both Alpha (the corners) and fucking puzzle cards (the cards backs on Innistrad and the crazy meld ones). Now the final nail is the warped 'foil only's' from commander / buy a box.

And I agree with @joshuabrooks this would have negligible impact on format accessibility. It may result in people having decks to loan as many folks have a set of CE power. But the prices on IE/CE have gone nuts anyway.

I for one would love the affect on aesthetics since they are beta ink, beta stock beta plate printed cards and look far better in a sleeve than a washed out revised.

• It wouldn't have any major impact, which is why it should probably be done. Duals would specially skyrocket though, because of Legacy and Commander.

• I do think there is the possibility now for Wizards to reprint Bazaars. I am a big fan a people pimping out their decks. But when my Dredge opponent has a completely foiled out deck except for the best 4-of in their deck it gets me wondering if there are marked cards. Now if there are proxy foil Bazaars supplied by Wizards then there are no marked cards. Problem solved.

i don't know if allowing CE is a good idea. Just because we can doesn't mean we should. (Jurassic Park ref.)

• TMD Supporter

@p3temangus said in Collectors and International Edition Cards for Sanctioned Play:

@joshuabrooks My main point is because it won't hurt anything, and the proxy precedent has already been set, then why not?

I think it opens up a can of worms for them with World Championship decks then too.

• @joshuabrooks said in Collectors and International Edition Cards for Sanctioned Play:

@p3temangus said in Collectors and International Edition Cards for Sanctioned Play:

@joshuabrooks My main point is because it won't hurt anything, and the proxy precedent has already been set, then why not?

I think it opens up a can of worms for them with World Championship decks then too.

And there's also little to no reason not to allow them.

• I think they decide things in an arbitrary fashion. They'd just say World Champs aren't allowed and wave hands. They make decisions like

"Magic needs to be an eSport, we're improving the live streaming"

... then they print expeditions and evocations ...

Buy a box exclusives won't be competitive

... print instant Time Walk ...

That being said with everything going on with Type II lagging and Arena being received poorly this is 1,098 on their list of things to fuck up. The depressing part is it would take a 15 minute blog post and an update to the TR.

• I don't actually own any World Champs cards, but I think I remember reading that the cards weren't as thin as normal MtG cards. Anyone know?

• As a quick reference, there are currently 2 CE Underground Seas on TCGPlayer, both at roughly $450. As discussed above, making these legal probably won't do any good except for the people who already own them - not that that's a problem, but I just wouldn't expect it to save Vintage.

WAF/WHF