Mono Blue Paradoxical Outcome

• @gutocmtt Hi, that was probably me. The mono-blue belcher is great against anything without interaction and survival often gives just enough time to pull it all together. Took it to a tourney this weekend and not only was it super fun, it tied for 3rd out of 11. Had a few T1 wins and some opponents who were excited just to see the topdeck reveal as I belched through the deck, with Academy already in play. It can be easily disrupted, but has enough threats to punch one through and go for it. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

• @gutocmtt That was me. I felt pretty heavily favored on the Belcher side, but I certainly was going to lose games at random to Stony/Thalia et. al.

• This post is deleted!

• You should cross-post to the Survival Thread.

• Mystic Remora is now a card played in Outcome so this really pushes me to think that this deck can and almost should be mono blue. I have a build that I am messing around with and Karn is main deck and you need at least 3 - 4 different types of bounce spells.

How many counters should a deck like this run? I have stuck with 4 FOW and no more but as mono blue I think you need 2 Flusterstorms. Also, I cut Mental Misstep entirely even though I run 4 Preordain. I am of the mind that if someone wants to stop a cantrip - so be it.

• @moorebrother1 said in Mono Blue Paradoxical Outcome:

Mystic Remora is now a card played in Outcome so this really pushes me to think that this deck can and almost should be mono blue. I have a build that I am messing around with and Karn is main deck and you need at least 3 - 4 different types of bounce spells.

How many counters should a deck like this run? I have stuck with 4 FOW and no more but as mono blue I think you need 2 Flusterstorms. Also, I cut Mental Misstep entirely even though I run 4 Preordain. I am of the mind that if you want to was a slot to stop a cantrip - so be it.

Why should it be mono blue? What do you gain by keeping the deck one color?

• Have you tried using High Tide as a one or two-of? It could be really good with a candelabra. Candelabra with High Tide, Outcome and Hurkyl's would result in a pretty high storm count provided you have a few other artifacts and a couple or more Islands. I think a single Frantic Search could be good with High Tide too, while helping chain Outcomes.

I've been experimenting with using a couple of mainboard Cunning Wishes to tuck away the more clunky win condition cards into the sideboard, like Brain Freeze and even Blue Sun's Zenith (which gets shuffled into your library after using it, which is nice). I think it works reasonably well in streamlining the deck. Given that you don't have too many tutors as a mono blue deck, a couple of Cunning Wishes alongside Merchant Scroll and Mystical tutor doesn't seem bad at all. An added benefit is being able to wish for specific solutions like Echoing Truth when necessary, without having to clutter up your mainboard with them.

• @griselbrother The reason for a mono color deck is consistency and streamlining. You gain Mentor and Balance with white with some removal spells but I am not seeing the removal in the lists that I have been looking at lately. You gain Yawgmoth's Will and Tendrils of Agony from black with Demonic Tutor and maybe Night's Whisper.

I tested both versions last night and the mono blue is just more consistent. Better mulligans and better at fighting through stuff.

If your goal is play in a large event that is more than 6 rounds then a more consistent deck is usually the way to go.

I played only 2 colors at SCG Con and I feel that the deck played extremely well. Mentor was broken as usual but now with Sai you can close out the game in about the same amount of time and have a more resilient deck.

• Having played PO with restricted and unrestricted Mentor, Mentor is the best card in the deck. I don't think that Sai is quite as comparable, it takes an extra turn or two to kill on average unless you're going off (and if you go off, win con is somewhat irrelevant). Balance has been very hit or miss for me. The sideboard cards really seem to help with

DT is great of course, but I have found Vamp and Will to be unreliable. Night's Whisper is a good draw engine though.

The red splash is the most intriguing to me. Dack has been great for me in outcome lists, just a great all around card in nearly every matchup, red blast is great, and you get to shore up the shops matchup with more artifact hate. One of the problems I have with red blast is the vulnerability to planeswalkers. You can run needle or spyglass to deal with them but that is somewhat dicey.

I've found the 4 color list (UWBR) to have mana issues. I want to play 3 colors (3 color outcome has a pretty reliable mana base) but have a hard time deciding what to cut.

• @mediumsteve Your points are very good. And, if I were just playing in a league on MTGO or playing at a small local event I would probably think about a 3 color version.

I have tested many iterations of the deck and I have to emphasize that if you are playing more than 6 rounds consistency is key. Some people will do extremely well with 3 colors but I have found that against Shops and Jeskai you need to be very consistent. I strongly believe that a 2 color build is good but the single color build is just more consistent.

WAF/WHF