Terrible brew idea! DrainTwist!

• Hello TMD
    One card that I think is sorely underplayed in vintage is mind twist. When this card was the scourge of all formats it was combined with mana drain to demolish your opponents hand. It is said that it mind twist resolves you often loose on the spot. So, onto the list!

This is something that I threw together quickly as a brain fart, unfortunately I'm away from my computer this weekend and unable to test it at all online.

This version is very control heavy, with Jace as the only win condition and a ton of interaction. What does TMD think of my terrible brew?

• I think it needs repeals/hurkylls recall/echoing truth, but I like it.

• @nungnum I think if you want to rely on discard to do heavy lifting you should play either Notion Thief or Leo to keep people from refilling.

• TMD Supporter

There used to be a moderatelly succesful UB Mind Twist deck called: Jedi Mind Twist.
    It played with 4 Dark Confidants 🙂

• I don't hate the idea of Mind Twist, but I wonder if you're too optimistic what the card can do without support. This deck looks very capable of winning a fight on the stack, but it might have some trouble dealing with cards that make it to the board.

3 Fatal Push being your only way to interact with the board feels very risky. For instance, if your opponent plays a turn one or two Young Pyromancer, before you have a Mana Drain wall up, even with a Fatal Push in hand you could be in real trouble. If they get even a small number of Elemental tokens in play, your deck can't really kill them, and Jace, the Mind Sculptor becomes quite bad. A single Monastery Mentor would be a real problem, or any Workshop hand where they play 2 or 3 creatures in the beginning of the game (and that's an extremely common opening for Workshops)

This doesn't mean that the deck is a dead end, but I do think you'd be rewarded for running either more removal, or more threats that match up better against the cards which are already good against your discard ... maybe Tinker+Blightsteel Colossus, maybe Tasigur, the Golden Fang, or even just planeswalkers that have more of an impact on the board ... maybe a Karn, Scion of Urza or Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, but both of those are better with more artifacts. If you're up for splashing a color, red and white planeswalkers are particularly good at closing out the game even if your opponent has threats in play, and of course Monastery Mentor fills this role admirably.

As an aside I'll say that it's very non-traditional for a Vintage deck this controlling to run Necropotence, but the same could be said for Timetwister which is a pet card of mine in Vintage control, so I don't know that I think Necro is necessarily wrong. If you want to keep it, it may be worth running more cards to be sure you don't get locked out with no draw step ... whether that's Tendrils of Agony or more planeswalkers or Paradoxical Outcome or something else entirely, I'm not sure.

• Not a terrible idea at all...

4 Duress
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Force of Will
    4 Mana Drain
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Repeal
    3 Mind Twist
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    1 Tolarian Academy
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Platinum Angel
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Tinker
    1 Mana Crypt
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Library of Alexandria
    1 Swamp
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Mox Jet
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Mystical Tutor
    1 Rebuild
    1 Time Walk
    1 Yawgmoth's Will
    1 Empty the Warrens
    Sideboard
    3 Pithing Needle
    3 Yixlid Jailer
    3 Rack and Ruin
    2 Black Knight
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Darkblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast

This is the Jedi Mind Twist deck from LCV right after MT was unrestricted in ‘07. Pretty outdated (Platinum Angel, 4x Brainstorm), but a good reference point.

+Blightsteel, Key Vault, adjust the cantrips a bit and baby you got a stew going!

• Thanks everyone for the feedback! I decided that adding more artifacts and white for mentor + swords would be worth playing, I will add some results after testing

Mainboard

1x Ancestral Recall
    1x Black Lotus
    1x Blightsteel Colossus
    1x Brainstorm
    1x Demonic Tutor
    1x Dig Through Time
    2x Flooded Strand
    1x Flusterstorm
    4x Force of Will
    2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Karn, Scion of Urza