N.Y.S.E. Open VI - 7/20/19 - Long Island, New York

Nick, aka Prospero, typically hosts the NYSE, which is one of the marquee Paper events with 10-15 proxies (I forget the specific number allowed and it might change). People have traveled from across the US and even from Europe to Long Island, New York to play in it, which is why this is here as a heads up to those who might want to make plans or take off work.

Historically, the event has been $100+ entry fee with prizes of the Power 9, though with the cost of Power increasing I think there was talk of switching to cash to keep the entry fee relatively the same. Number of players is in the low 100's. I've been to a couple of these and they are fantastic. Nick takes it seriously, so there is security checking bags with wristbands like at Eternal Weekend. There are also giveaways and special prizes. It one of the special player run events in a format that mostly exists because of such player run events.

Take all this with a grain of salt as I'm sure if the details were fixed, Nick would let us know. But if you are interested in attending a Paper Vintage event and have means to do so, I would definitely recommend this one.

This and all local vintage metas i keep hearing about make me want to move to New England.

There's some little talk about doing a large yearly even in a similar vein here in the PNW with Card Kingdom's storefront. We have a monthly sanctioned Vintage right now but probably a ways off from a big enough event to draw attendance from across the nation.

@chubbyrain Awesome, thanks for the info.

This weekend, I swear, the announcement will go up.

A few more things than usual will be the subject of a community vote. Interested in seeing what people want. The event is happening, it's just going to look a little different than in years past.

The basic announcement is now up.

In the coming weeks and months there will be further updates about everything else; trophies, alters, giveaways, judge staff, the Vintage FNM, a Sunday Old School tournament, NYSE Open dice (yes), shirts (hopefully), and more.

Please be patient with me.

So I'm assuming I'm banned from coming, being blocked on Facebook and all, would be good to know before paying for registration

Registration for the NYSE will open up this weekend.

Due to qualifiers, only 140 of the 153 spots will be available.

As soon as it's set, I'll post the link for registration here. Again, it's $125 to everyone who pre-registers, and $150 from 7/1-7/20.

last edited by Prospero

I've always been curious: what does NYSE mean? New York Southeast?

last edited by fsecco

It stands for the New York Stax Exchange πŸ™‚

@hrishi thanks! The material about the tournament basically never spells it out πŸ˜›

Hrishi's right, it does indeed stand for New York Stax Exchange.

It was, very briefly, a team name for myself and a few others, before it became the moniker for rebooted Vintage tournament series that I started running again in 2009. The N.Y.S.E. Challenge was a monthly Vintage series that I ran out at Brothers Grim. I ran 20+ of those, then abandoned the name when Nick Coss and I started running the N.E.V. (North East Vintage) series after that. I stopped running monthly Vintage events after the N.E.V. Invitational, and started running the N.Y.S.E. Open annually after that (though I did skip 2018).

With every NYSE Open that's run, a limited number of qualifier tournament are run. For the price of an entry fee, a T/O is able to run an event guaranteeing the winner of the qualifier free entry to that year's NYSE Open.

I currently have seven qualifier spots left open. If you'd like to run a qualifier, please reach out to me and let me know!

Prize support for the NYSE Open has been announced!

1st: Unlimited Mox Sapphire
2nd: Unlimited Mox Ruby
3rd: Unlimited Mox Emerald
4th: Unlimited Mox Pearl
5th-8th: Mishra's Workshop

For 9th-16th, based on final standing, each player will be able to choose one of the original 10 Revised dual lands. So, for example, 9th picks Underground Sea (leaving nine duals left), 8th picks Volcanic Island (leaving eight duals), until each player has one dual land, and we then stop.

And, as always, there will be giveaways galore, with playmats, altered Karns, and a slew of other cool things that I've been collecting for a while now.

If you haven't pre-registered, please pre-register soon! This event will be capped!

Hope to see you all soon!

What is the LIRR situation to get out there from Queens like?

Where in Queens?

From Penn, probably 50ish minutes and a 3-5 minute cab ride? It’s right off the LIE.

Can someone help me finding a not so expensive place to stay near to the Four points?

I can't check availability from work, but here are a few hotels that are close by:

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/Plainview/entity/CgoIn8Sa6vfazsYbEAE?g2lb=4159844%2C4207876%2C4208993%2C4223281%2C4240557%2C4242898%2C4248641%2C4251622%2C4253666%2C4250437&hl=en&gl=us&un=0&q=hotels in plainview ny&rp=EMKKo9r75pDA5gEQn8Sa6vfazsYbEPTjxoPwxbbGSRCphv3ylIusqQo4AUAASAI&ictx=1&ved=2ahUKEwjFptSG3sjhAhVuhuAKHWeDCXoQvS4wAXoECAoQJQ&hrf=CgUIrAIQACIDVVNEKhYKBwjjDxAEGBISBwjjDxAEGBMYASgAqgELCgIIEhIDCJsBGAGqAQ4KAggUEgIIGxICCE4YAaoBEgoCCBwSAghHEgIINhICCE0YAaoBCgoCCBESAghAGAGqAQ8KAgguEgMIhwESAgg9GAGqAQoKAgg1EgIIExgBkgECIAE&tcfs=EhoaGAoKMjAxOS0wNC0xOBIKMjAxOS0wNC0xOVIA

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/Plainview/entity/CgoI9OPGg_DFtsZJEAE?g2lb=4159844%2C4207876%2C4208993%2C4223281%2C4240557%2C4242898%2C4248641%2C4251622%2C4253666%2C4250437&hl=en&gl=us&un=0&q=hotels in plainview ny&rp=EMKKo9r75pDA5gEQn8Sa6vfazsYbEPTjxoPwxbbGSRCphv3ylIusqQo4AUAASAI&ictx=1&ved=2ahUKEwjFptSG3sjhAhVuhuAKHWeDCXoQvS4wAnoECAoQLw&hrf=CgUIrAIQACIDVVNEKhYKBwjjDxAEGBISBwjjDxAEGBMYASgAqgELCgIIEhIDCJsBGAGqAQ4KAggUEgIIGxICCE4YAaoBEgoCCBwSAghHEgIINhICCE0YAaoBCgoCCBESAghAGAGqAQ8KAgguEgMIhwESAgg9GAGqAQoKAgg1EgIIExgBkgECIAE&tcfs=EhoaGAoKMjAxOS0wNC0xOBIKMjAxOS0wNC0xOVIA

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/Plainview/entity/CgoIqYb98pSLrKkKEAE?g2lb=4159844%2C4207876%2C4208993%2C4223281%2C4240557%2C4242898%2C4248641%2C4251622%2C4253666%2C4250437&hl=en&gl=us&un=0&q=hotels in plainview ny&rp=EMKKo9r75pDA5gEQn8Sa6vfazsYbEPTjxoPwxbbGSRCphv3ylIusqQo4AUAASAI&ictx=1&ved=2ahUKEwjFptSG3sjhAhVuhuAKHWeDCXoQvS4wA3oECAoQOQ&hrf=CgUIrAIQACIDVVNEKhYKBwjjDxAEGBISBwjjDxAEGBMYASgAqgELCgIIEhIDCJsBGAGqAQ4KAggUEgIIGxICCE4YAaoBEgoCCBwSAghHEgIINhICCE0YAaoBCgoCCBESAghAGAGqAQ8KAgguEgMIhwESAgg9GAGqAQoKAgg1EgIIExgBkgECIAE&tcfs=EhoaGAoKMjAxOS0wNC0xOBIKMjAxOS0wNC0xOVIA

Let me know if none of those worked.

Views