What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?

Having Mishra's Workshop and Trinisphere in your opening hand. Having Ancestral Recall and enough Missteps to choke a Llama in your opener.

@nedleeds Now you're talking : ) A similar classic vintage skill is to have Oath, orchard, mox, FoW+blue card in opener.

Sequencing land drops and spells is a skill many still lack in mtg in general.

spell sequencing: For one, It took @Smmenen writing an entire book on how to play Gush properly before some people caught on to how good the card is outside of Grow.dec or Gush Storm. (Turns out, Gush was THE blue deck)

On lands: I still see players making the mistake of cracking one for a dual as soon as they play it, (many still think "thinning" your deck is a valid reason) unnecessarily giving away info and opening themselves up to wasteland.
Many times players lose to themselves, making the wrong land drop turn one.

last edited by Ten-Ten

Innumerable, but sideboarding is a complex and nuaced set of operations. To pithily reduce it to a sound bite or “tip,” remember to differentiate between sideboard plans on the play vs. the draw. Too many players overlook this with generic instructions.

I don’t think this was said yet, but if you can, don’t play into Mindbreak Trap. E.g. if my opener has land, mox, mox, Bob, I should play land, mox, Bob, mox.

Oath of Druids doesn't trigger if both players have the same amount of creatures. People do that wrong all the time.
Also, Pithing Needle does nothing vs Oath.

@BranDawri Also, if two Oaths are in play and an imbalance of creatures exists, they will both trigger. At this point, you can respond with Forbidden Orchard creating a further difference in creature amounts. When the first one resolves you can evaluate whether you need to use the second Oath ability. There are a few iterations of how this plays out, but you get the picture.

I think most of these aren't really "tips and tricks" as much as they are simply knowing or not knowing how cards work.

@thecravenone said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

@griselbrother Cool, thanks for the input!

You're welcome, I'm glad you're with me. It would be a pretty bad article on tips and tricks if really basic stuff was to be included.

@griselbrother For a column called “Vintage 101,” this stuff seems pretty appropriate.

Knowing how to maximize your use of Engineered Explosives against Sphere effects and Chalice.

Most people are aware of using colorless manner to get around chalice, but also paying two or more of one color can play around chalice ( and Misstep if explosives on one counter is needed).

Also being aware with a taxing effect, you can announce x to be less than the number of counters you will need and use the tax as a way to add extra colors to the payment (ie. announce x is one with Thalia in play and pay UW for your explosives to have two counters on it to kill Thalia)

There's a technique called 'Walking the Dog' with Flusterstorm. Also if you put your opponent on 2 good spells in lets say a 7 card opener and you feel you have a slow start it may be correct to counter (Force let's say) Lotus. Especially if you know what your opponent is on. Mana Crypt is sometimes a similar decision, especially against Shops or formerly Eldrazi. The decision gets easier with more information, and even easier if you are playing blue and have 4-6 textless cards to pitch like Skillstep and Flusterstorm.

But even against a blue deck who has Lotus, Mentor, any Blue Land, some mess of Flusters and Skillsteps. With perfect information you would Force lotus.

Brainstorm + Fetchland
“Sac then tap” (smokestack and tangle wire)

@ten-ten I see people crack fetches EOT thinking that "duh, thinning" is actually a thing. Then they waste card advantage by drawing Brainstorm, Ponder or similar effects.

@infectedmushroom yeah, it's always best to just wait to crack a fetchland when needed. I got a better handle on this before Brainstorm got restricted and even moreso when Lotus Cobra was printed.

@infectedmushroom said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

@ten-ten I see people crack fetches EOT thinking that "duh, thinning" is actually a thing. Then they waste card advantage by drawing Brainstorm, Ponder or similar effects.

To further expand on cracking fetches at the right time, people should also be extremely mindful about when they crack fetches. Remember that if you crack a fetch you do not have access to that mana till you fetch your land, which might allow your opponent to respond to the fetch activation!

True, mana drain is played a bit less these days, but it's worth keeping in mind that you don't want to drop your shields by fetching at the wrong time.

@griselbrother said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

@thecravenone said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

You're welcome, I'm glad you're with me. It would be a pretty bad article on tips and tricks if really basic stuff was to be included.

But a surprisingly large number of people still get these things wrong, basic or not, so they're useful tips, and a generic "know how your cards work" is IMO less useful than mentioning specific things people get wrong.

@brandawri said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

@griselbrother said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

But a surprisingly large number of people still get these things wrong, basic or not, so they're useful tips, and a generic "know how your cards work" is IMO less useful than mentioning specific things people get wrong.

Right, I guess I misunderstood the purpose of the article then. My apologies.

Here's a few things I've noted:

• Cavern of Souls actually makes creatures of the chosen creature type uncounterable
  • Eldrazi Displacer combined with Containment Priest exiles the creature targeted with Displacer. Same if the creature is exiled by Kaya, Ghost Assassin
  • Creatures lose their counters when they are flicked with Eldrazi Displacer This means your Walking Ballista and Hangarback Walker dies
  • You don't become the Monarch nor do you get back the exiled creature if you kill my Palace Jailer
  • Sanctum Prelate doesn't work like Chalice of the Void. You can't cast spells with the chosen converted mana cost
  • Your Arcbound Ravagers modular mechanic doesn't work under my Rest in Peace, nor do you get any Thopter tokens when Hangarback Walker is killed under my Rest in Peace.
last edited by Griselbrother

Here's a few things I've noted:

• Cavern of Souls actually makes creatures of the chosen creature type uncounterable

...Except if you have the use the colorless mana to cast the creature (say you want to cast a Thought-Knot Seer off 2 Plains, a Mox Emerald and a Cavern naming Eldrazi; you will have to use the colorless mana from Cavern, thus TKS can be countered).

Another trick I just thought of: You can actually play counterspells targetting a non-counterable spell; they will just do nothing, but they will trigger Prowess, increase storm count, etc.

Views