What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?

• @griselbrother said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

@thecravenone said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

@griselbrother Cool, thanks for the input!

You're welcome, I'm glad you're with me. It would be a pretty bad article on tips and tricks if really basic stuff was to be included.

But a surprisingly large number of people still get these things wrong, basic or not, so they're useful tips, and a generic "know how your cards work" is IMO less useful than mentioning specific things people get wrong.

• @brandawri said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

@griselbrother said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

@thecravenone said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

@griselbrother Cool, thanks for the input!

You're welcome, I'm glad you're with me. It would be a pretty bad article on tips and tricks if really basic stuff was to be included.

But a surprisingly large number of people still get these things wrong, basic or not, so they're useful tips, and a generic "know how your cards work" is IMO less useful than mentioning specific things people get wrong.

Right, I guess I misunderstood the purpose of the article then. My apologies.

Here's a few things I've noted:

• Cavern of Souls actually makes creatures of the chosen creature type uncounterable
    • Eldrazi Displacer combined with Containment Priest exiles the creature targeted with Displacer. Same if the creature is exiled by Kaya, Ghost Assassin
    • Creatures lose their counters when they are flicked with Eldrazi Displacer This means your Walking Ballista and Hangarback Walker dies
    • You don't become the Monarch nor do you get back the exiled creature if you kill my Palace Jailer
    • Sanctum Prelate doesn't work like Chalice of the Void. You can't cast spells with the chosen converted mana cost
    • Your Arcbound Ravagers modular mechanic doesn't work under my Rest in Peace, nor do you get any Thopter tokens when Hangarback Walker is killed under my Rest in Peace.

• Here's a few things I've noted:

• Cavern of Souls actually makes creatures of the chosen creature type uncounterable

...Except if you have the use the colorless mana to cast the creature (say you want to cast a Thought-Knot Seer off 2 Plains, a Mox Emerald and a Cavern naming Eldrazi; you will have to use the colorless mana from Cavern, thus TKS can be countered).

Another trick I just thought of: You can actually play counterspells targetting a non-counterable spell; they will just do nothing, but they will trigger Prowess, increase storm count, etc.

• Mana Drain on an uncounterable spell stills nets you the colorless Mana of said spell you tried to counter. First time I seen this was at a tourney in 2000ish, right after Invasion. One guy casts Obliterate to wipe the board, guy 2 drains it, guy 1 says can't uncounterable. Guy 2 says I know but I still get 10 colorless Mana. Next turn he drops U Sea, casts Yawg Will into a lotus, moxen, and brain geyser to refill his grip. Was a beautiful play.

• @griselbrother Yeah a lot of this stuff is just basic things, I'm looking for mostly little advantage tips that most people might not know.

• @serracollector That is gucci.

• I'll be doing some compilation later on all of this and picking out the good ones, I appreciate all of the great submissions. 🙂

Still would be looking for anything spicy decklist wise if someone wants to get a good spice listed.

• I been working on a jank Paradoxical Outcome deck involving Snap/Cloud of Fairies, Concordant Crossroads, and lots of Mana dorks. Cloud of Fairies is really strong in PO acting as Mox opals 5-9 for the most part. I don't have results or anything mainly testing on Cockatrice, but it's been fun and unexpected.

• @grr said in What are some Common Vintage Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know?:

Here's a few things I've noted:

...Except if you have the use the colorless mana to cast the creature (say you want to cast a Thought-Knot Seer off 2 Plains, a Mox Emerald and a Cavern naming Eldrazi; you will have to use the colorless mana from Cavern, thus TKS can be countered).

But only if you have to. If you don't have to (ie, you're also using another colorless source), you're assumed to be using colored mana for the generic mana portion of the cost, regardless of whether you announced it. [Source]

• @volrathxp you mean like "cheat codes" for Vintage? Or a sort of list of Vintage Combos?
    That wouldn't be as interesting.

WAF/WHF