Arena Rector Control

• @gutocmtt I was also thinking Drain makes sense. Actually makes sense on both ends. Casting Rector off Drain is quite good too!

• deck is really cool and funny to play👍 but omniscience/emrakul is better that any planeswalker exist in this moment.

• @wfain of course, but the question is instead of what?

the general theory posits that you either play discard spells or counter spells. it seems that cabal therapy is a prerequisite. Thus mana drain, the quintessential counterspell seems counter intuitive.

also, from my testing the difficulty arises in sacrificing rector; not casting it

• @nba84 I think you could probably stand to cut Mental Misstep actually. The reason I say this is you’re gameplan doesn’t revolve around resolving 1cmc spells nor does it fold to opposing 1cmc spells (in the same way Outcome doesn’t play them). Further, your deck isn’t exactly vulnerable to very many cards in the Jeskai control decks, so them resolving a Recall or Brainstorm isn’t likely to actually result in a real advantage for them. Beyond that- you’ve got Therapy as a tool to make sure you aren’t losing counter wars and a way of having quality information about when you can afford to not leave Drain up.

• i play rector / omniscience and show and tell is absolutely essential.
    win more games thanks to show that thanks to the rector.
    right now I'm playing a UB version without rectors.

• @babau said in Arena Rector Control:

i play rector / omniscience and show and tell is absolutely essential.
    win more games thanks to show that thanks to the rector.
    right now I'm playing a UB version without rectors.

You can't put a Planeswalker into play off a Show and Tell.

• yes you are right☹

• @wfain your suggestion has proved absolutely correct so far in my testing. the missteps have been replaced with two drains and elsewhere a volcanic has been brought in for the potential Bolas casting.

the only spell that has been difficult to deal with without misstep has been StP

• @nba84 said in Arena Rector Control:

@wfain your suggestion has proved absolutely correct so far in my testing. the missteps have been replaced with two drains and elsewhere a volcanic has been brought in for the potential Bolas casting.

the only spell that has been difficult to deal with without misstep has been StP

This is simply a play adjustment. Just wait to play rector until you have a therapy in the yard. With therapy in the yard, you can cast rector and they have no opportunity to stp it before you can sac it as a cost to flashback therapy.

• @nba84 Glad I could help! I think people just assume their FoW deck wants 3-4 MM most of the time, but there are certain strategies that approach games differently where MM doesn’t hurt you and your opponent resolving Ancestral isn’t likely to help them.

WAF/WHF