Anti-metagame deck ideas

• @moorebrother1 I believe the issue with Bob is shops. You said that it would be a five color deck, and I think you would get destroyed by shops through their mana denial and life loss. Just my two cents.

• @rat3de I have been helping my brother prep for Eternal Weekend and it brought me back to when I prepped for SCG Con. The issue with saying deck A will just wreck deck B is that with the current metagame no deck is safe.

I am partial to Paradoxical decks when playing in large events because I feel like I always have a chance based on my style and ability. With some practice, I can could play Jeskai or Shop or even Dredge. All of these deck have a good shot at just winning.

The idea of an anti-metagame deck is either a deck that ignores the metagame or hates on the metagame. The Survival deck and Eldrazi decks play in the metagame soft spots and Storm decks play in the ignore the meta and just try to win.

I guess it just comes down to having fun at some point and losing is never fun but it throwing something out there can be fun.

• @moorebrother1 I understand I think that is really cool. Although for a Bob deck, I think that your points annul themselves. Bob is a very good card, but in a metagame deck it will not work great because of things like shops and anti-meta decks. Now in an anti-meta deck I think you would have a very hard time making it viable because it would be to slow to ignore the meta and not effective enough on hating the meta. Though I do believe that B/W humans may be the exception to this as it is relatively fast and has good SB options, and I am sure that someone could build a viable deck in the current meta with Bob in it, I just think that it would be hard and would probably look pretty different from other decks today. An example of this might be @ChubbyRain's Kaya Kontrol deck, although I do not know if the shell would support it.

• @smmenen said in Anti-metagame deck ideas:

@ten-ten said in Anti-metagame deck ideas:

Perhaps a Modern Vintage "The Deck" is in order?

Many millennia ago, @Smmenen , walked us through his process of building his "The Deck"...I can't find the link at this moment but if someone can help with that, it'd be great. Otherwise, soon as I can find it I will post it here.

Are you talking about this? http://www.vintagemagic.com/blog/old-school-magic-chapter-2-the-history-of-the-deck/

I think they are after the one on SCG where you talk about making "the deck" to beat deck X then finding common cards and ending up with a meta'ed "The Deck". Patrick Chapin had a "the Deck" at the time that he played at gen con around then.

Edit:
    here it is http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/vintage/18454_So_Many_Insane_Plays_The_Return_of_The_Deck.html

• What about a list that looks something like this?

I just threw this list together in roughly five minutes but is this similar to what you are looking for?

Edit: You could probably try to find room for a Balance in the MD or SB and a few Preordain and a Time Walk in the MD.

• just want to point out that if you're running tinker/bsc you absolutely need to run time walk. time walk is also a common DT target.

• @john-cox thank you. That's the one.

• @mediumsteve I know, I realized after that I should have included it among other things. I just threw the list together in about five minutes so their is a lot of dissynergy and probably suboptimal cars choices.

• You might have an interest in my RUG "Hate Cards" deck I've been playing for the past ~6 months or so. Has been doing decently well at local paper events. Current list:

Goal of the deck is to have a wide range of avenues to attack your opponent from, depending on the matchup. Sometimes I win via Loam+Wasteland locking people out, sometimes I win from card advantage/selection from early Dack or either Library, sometimes it’s from playing a Tarmogoyf on turn 1 and protecting it for 5 turns delver-style, sometimes it’s just slamming Null Rod on turn 1. Makes sideboarding against the deck very hard (do I board in crypts to fight the loams? Dismembers to fight the tarmogoyfs? Spyglasses for the planeswalkers?).

FAQ I've been asked about card inclusions:

Taiga – I personally would never cut the Taiga. Very often you’ll have hands such as: Loam/Wasteland/Fetch/Pyroblast/Misstep/Force/Dack, and you’ll want to have a red source for a t1 pyroblast and a green source for a t2 loam. Also good to have an extra mountain for SB Pulverize.

Fastbond – Pet card, but has its uses in providing a "combo kill" with Loam or just acceleration against shops.

Tarmogoyf – In the ‘ways to win the game’ department (consisting of Tarmo, Pyromancer, Snapcaster, and Hydra), I like Tarmogoyf the best as he’s immune to lightning bolt/ballista, and comes down already big and ready to wall shops’ artifacts/hollow one/gurmag. If people switch off of lightning bolts and more towards StPs, perhaps Pyromancer might be worth considering. However, this deck is nowhere near Xerox-y enough to make a real token army, and not playing ‘go-wide’ opens up better sideboard options against shops/fish/dredge.

Chandra – This deck takes a while to win (often ‘wins’ by locking someone out, either hard or soft), so having a PW that directly wins the game by herself and is immune to bolt/pyro is very useful.

Treasure Cruise – It might seem like hearsay for a triple Dack Fayden and dredge deck to not play both delve spells but this deck gains a lot of merit from keeping its GY intact. Tarmogoyf gets better with a full-er GY, Loam asks to not be delved as well as discourages lands from being delved, Snapcaster also benefits from keeping sorceries and instants. All this combined make it actually hard to find 6 or 7 cards in the GY you want to get rid of. Thus I stuck with just Dig as its better at finding the right disruptive piece for my opponent’s deck.

Punishing Fire – Way too slow and the manabase cannot support both Groves and Wastelands.

Nature’s Claim – While most GY hate is garbage to average against this deck, Rest in Peace is a back breaker. Need at least 1 answer to it in the 75.

vs PO: Rod/Chalice/Pillar, combined with 2x MD Ancient Grudge and 3 Pyroblasts. If you can counter/dodge the mentor, you should be fine in this MU.

vs Shops: G1 Deny their mana via wasteland and rod along with either walling up behind goyf or dack or killing their stuff with bolts and grudges. G2-3 Shop can't pay for Tabernacle so if you get this out plus 1 other piece of disruption (rod/goyf/chalice0) you've usually won. If they try to sphere lock you, you're fine with this deck since it has 23 mana sources, and pulverize + loam can help get under or over the spheres.

vs UR/URg/URw: Their manabase is surprisingly garbage for a 2 color deck, usually only playing 1 island. Wasteland them out while Tarmogoyf walls snapcaster/pyromancer (they can't kill it since all they have is bolt/pyroblast). Post board they still can't kill tarmogoyf and now additionally get wrecked by tabernacle.

vs UWr: Hardest MU since they play plow and usually 2+ basics. Matchup comes down to "protect the tarmogoyf/pyrostatic pillar" as they will out CA you eventually.

vs Oath: If they haven't resolved an Oath by turn 3 you win. Their mana base is terrible and their deck is filled with expensive cards. Board out all your creatures, keep in all the mana denial (even rods), play "protect the cage" and win with spirits. I have never lost to this deck

vs Dredge: G1 is impossible, G2-3 would be awful if they just sideboarded 4 claims but they also now cut more GY stuff for Hollow Ones and Gurmags, which Tarmogoyf, Tabernacle and Dack can easily deal with.

vs Survival: Point forces at survival and wastelands at bazaars and goyf checks the rest. Post board they heavily struggle with rod/tabernacle/wasteland

• @reb Awesome deck! Have you thought of some number of Bazaars or Squees? You could try turning it into a pseudo RGu Lands build or go for a more controlling route with Squees which might help you against blue decks. What are your thoughts on either of those options? Also what are your thoughts on running a basic land or two, or running Ramunap Excavator?

WAF/WHF