[DRK] Blood Moon

• So, it might seem a little silly, but I thought I'd ask: How good or bad is blood moon right now?

@moorebrother1 has posted about Blue Moon a bit, and it makes me wonder, is this now the only deck type in which Blood Moon is even remotely viable?

Folks here seem to have a dim view of prison strategies right now, but does that mean we should just tuck our Blood Moons hastily away in our binders to be looked at admiringly from time to time?

Has mono-red prison been completely gutted by things like the nerf to Chandra? Or is recently printed goblin tech carving a space for these decks to maybe pack a little more punch?

The lock pieces have a place in the current meta, but are other Null Rod decks just above and beyond better? PO has no problems using Red to Shattering Spree and Abrade away pesky null rods, even if their enchantment removal is pretty thing.

If Ensnaring Bridge isn't good enough for any other decks to run right now, does it give enough lift to stave of the lean aggro decks?

It may just be in the current meta that Jeskai and Grixis are the only place that red has a comfortable home, but is there any love left for Good Old Blood Moon in traditional builds or new brews?

• I played Bloon Moon, and Magus of the Moon, in Richmond to a top 32 finish.

I’m not gonna discuss the other cards in the deck, or the archetype in general, but I will talk explicitly about moon effects in Vintage and how they play out in matches.

Vs Dredge it’s one of the very best cards, and a card you hope to see in the opening hand. It’s not an autowin, as they can already have a graveyard if you are on the draw, or they can discard down if they are given enough time to do so.

But it still wins a lot

Vs Mud
    The card is playable in small quantities. You would never want to see multiple copies of it because each copy beyond the first is an actual do nothing.
    It doesn’t prevent anything from happening, it simply slows them down. Taking away a wasteland or factory effect is simply slowing them down. Nothing more nothing less.
    You still have to find a way to win the game.

And often times they still have the ability to play through it very fast. All their cards can still get cast with enough time.

Magus of the Moon is worse because 1) it almost never blocks 2) it almost never attacks 3) dies to walking ballista.

If you care enough to invest in this type of effect, you want it to stick around.

Vs the Jeskai control decks
    It’s okay. Not great, they can still play through it, not awful. It has a small chance of locking them out early. Especially on the play. It has just as likely of a chance of doing nothing at all against them.

This was my biggest surprise playing them in Richmond, I thought moons would shut these decks down, it didn’t.

Magus of the Moon is especially worse here because of lightning bolt, which they all play.

Vs BUG lists
    Okay we found another matchup like Dredge where the card feels like an auto win. They have assassin’s Trophy now if that matters. Abrupt decay did the same job.

This even hurts deathrite shaman because they won’t be able to sacrifice lands to get them in the yard.

Vs Oath
    It’s tech against Forbidden Orchard if you can land it before they get an orchard. Asides from that, it is slightly better here than it is against Jeskai, but worse than BUG.

It’s a nice card to see.

Magus of the Moon is also worse here because, well, Oath Of druids text.

Vs Paradoxical Outcome

Pretty bad. Easy to play through without support like a null rod.

Honestly I was boarding out Bloon Moons against this list and I’ve had success against them in general.

Magus of the Moon is much better than Blood Moon here. This is probably the only matchup where I can say that.

Vs Eldrazi

Absolute house against them. Both the colorless and white versions.

Vs Landstill

Very good, but not an ultimate closer. They will find a way to deal with it, but it will provide you with plenty of time.

The only matchup where multiple copies actually get better.

Vs Survival

It’s a solid card, but you run the risk of doing nothing while they ley down threats. High Variance. They can get a lot of work done with a single Forest.

For the record, I haven’t played against Grixis.

So, in summation, the card is playable vs the entire field. But it is only okay vs three tier 1 lists: Jeskai, MUD, and PO. Which is probably why you don’t see moons getting sleeves up a lot these days.

• Thanks for the exhaustive details!

I feel like it says something about the meta when Blood Moon is only Kinda good.

How does Blood Moon have an impact on your mulligan choices? Does it really even matter in most of these cases? Or is it just dependent on the opponent described above (i.e. vs Dredge mull hard to moon, as oppose to Shops where you could take it or leave it)

After champs, would love to see some of the tech you are using if you're willing to share!

• @bandswithothers

If you are speaking about the Mono Red Prison Build and mulligans, I would have to say it only slightly affects your mulligan decisions. Obviously vs Dredge you need hate early, so if you know your opponent is on it, then yes maybe you do in game 1. But post sideboard, any combination of sideboard cards would be a keepable hand.

Vs. Mud I guess its similar. If I know you are on it, and I have a marginal hand that has a turn 1 blood moon, and no real threats or power cards in the matchup, I would probably throw it away. It just doesn't do enough. However, if I had say Chalice of the Void and the ability to play Blood Moon turn 2, backed up with any threat, I would keep that hand vs Shops.

I'm still not sure what deck I will be playing at Eternal Weekend. I have access to most cards. I wanted to try this deck out in Richmond because I thought it was well positioned for that meta. But I had not done extensive testing with it prior to the event. I thought that MUD, Dredge, and Jeskai would be favorable matchups, with Paradoxical Outcome being a coin toss. My results were that I lost to Shops a lot, won more than I lost against Dredge but by no means is it an easy round, got destroyed by the Jeskai decks, and ended up beating Paradoxical. Nothing about that sounds enticing for EW.

• I've been thinking about using Blood Moon in a red-splash Paradoxical Outcome deck as a two-of sideboard card. Paradoxical Outcome is relatively weak to White Eldrazi, and Blood Moon gives White Eldrazi significant difficulty. Back to Basics is an on-color option that can be good, but it's usually too slow as it requires persistent removal (like the Abyss, which also is often too slow) along with it to work.

Red splash could also help streamline the deck as done in 'the Epic Storm' through Burning Wish, where win conditions are mostly put in the sideboard to reduce dead draws. Empty the Warrens, Shattering Spree/By Force, and some sorcery-speed removal cards in the sideboard could be good. Empty the Warrens could win the game on its own if cast T1, while also putting valuable defense against taxing aggro decks until early-mid game. Mainboard singleton Pyroblast (rather than REB for occasional storm count) could also help win counter wars.

I'm not sure if this has already been done, but I think splashing red to include Blood Moon and the other red cards could help PO become more resilient against White Eldrazi and other hate decks while not sacrificing effectiveness against blue decks.

• @nower1990
    Blood Sun Might be what you want, this deck came 3rd or 4'th at EW Asia using it as you were thinking of.

• @gkraigher I respect your take on the card and your drinking capacity. In which of those scenarios (and play / draw) would have rather had Blood Sun (given you also draw a card).

• @nedleeds

That’s a great question. I haven’t really tested blood sun since the beginning when I was running a different build.

For starters I don’t think a deck can run both Blood Sun and Blood Moon because one of the greatest abilities of Sun is to take lands offline entirely. Playing a moon would allow them to tap it for something. It’s also too much of the same effect that really isn’t that back breaking.

The most material interaction would be Sun against Dredge and their access to nature’s claim allowing them back in the game. Whereas moon takes all of that away.

It would be an improvement vs Jeskai and Grixis becauze of the card drawing and turning fetchlands offline entirely. Sun is much worse against BUG lists. I think Assassin’s trophy will uptick the number of BUG lists in the format.

It would be better than moon against PO, for fetchlands and your own sol lands.

VS MUD, I would deny them mana and change their lands, which makes Moon much better. Blood sun does nothing to Ancient Tomb and Mishra’s Workshop. Blood sun makes them unable to activate Wasteland and Mishra’s Factory.....that’s basically a blank.

WAF/WHF