Team Serious Open - 10/20/18 at the Kidforce Collectibles Berea, OH Results

• @garbageaggro said in Team Serious Open - 10/20/18 at the Kidforce Collectibles Berea, OH Results:

Yeah that was me! I changed in those chants right before the tournament from Mental Missteps which hadn't been doing work. Having a turn 1 play when you don't have acceleration to get to impactful 2-drops seemed nice. It also is pretty funny in response to outcome or will.

You are right about the softness to shops, I don't know how to solve that problem other than to totally rethink the sideboard, I don't think 1-for-1s is the answer but I am not entirely sure what a good answer is, any thoughts would be welcome.

Oh I also realized late that this sideboard is off by a card I had -1 Kataki +1 Sanctum prelate, cause I couldn't find my 3rd kataki before the tournament, I found the prelate to be good.

Yeah that were my thoughts as well. It acts like a pseudo Time Walk allowing you to play less acceleration (although I see you played all the moxen anyway - did you ever find that between 5 moxen and 4 Deathrite you were playing too much acceleration?). What I also like is that it seems decent against Shops as well, and the kicker shouldn't be underestimated in that matchup.

I've found the Shops matchup to be hard no matter what you do, but I agree that 1-for-1's aren't enough - but it's needed anyway. Currently my anti-Shops plan is 2 Kataki (main deck), 4 Swords (2 main, 2 board), 2 Nature's Claim, 1 Devout Witness (just something I'm trying out at the moment) and 4 Serenity (along with 2 Thalia 2.0 and 3 Wastelands main deck).

Serenity is very good and can get you out of situations no other cards can, but it still needs some other cards alongside it. Thalia 2.0 isn't very good vs PO but it still has some value, and I've found it to be one of the few cards that's good in almost all matchups (it's great vs Dredge, BUG and Landstill for instance), and it's really good vs Shops - especially with a Stony Silence in play. I think you want to play something like 10 sideboard cards to bring in against Shops.

If you were to go that route, I'd recommend cutting the Revokers. I do like Revoker for it's versatility and as a solution to Jace (which is hugely problematic for a deck like this), but Jace isn't played that much currently.

Sanctum Prelate is one of my pet cards, and I think it's very underrated, but it's also a bit slow vs Paradoxical Outcome.

• TMD Supporter

My problem with cutting revoker and also with 4 serenity (which i was thinking about a bit) is that walking ballista is SO GOOD against us. Now maybe serenity is good enough that i don't mind if they draw ballista after I wipe their board and my revoker/stony.

As for prelate, I agree that it is a bit slow, but I think if we can slow down the game with our other stuff, it locks out the game which is quite pleasant. Interestingly I sided it in against everything i played that wasn't shops. Naming 2 against oath seems VERY good. It wouldn't come in against Dredge probably, but overall I was happy with it as a one-of.

I have actually played Devout Witness in the past and I was considering a different spellshaper actually in the form of Hammer Mage. I will test out serenity, and I also had a crazy thought involving ancient tombs and Settle the Wreckage that might be crazy.

I really liked this list against everything that wasn't shops. My only other loss on the day was a close match against jerry yang's paradoxical oath which turned 1'd me in game 3, I want to chalk that up to just getting vintaged. Our games were super interesting. In game 1 if I had a chant in hand I would have beat him when he oath'd his whole deck and had to memory's journey to be able to win with will, had I had the chant (or consultation) I could have blown him out in response to will with 0 cards in library.

• TMD Supporter

Added Twaun's decklist and fixed Jake's.

• @garbageaggro said in Team Serious Open - 10/20/18 at the Kidforce Collectibles Berea, OH Results:

My problem with cutting revoker and also with 4 serenity (which i was thinking about a bit) is that walking ballista is SO GOOD against us. Now maybe serenity is good enough that i don't mind if they draw ballista after I wipe their board and my revoker/stony.

As for prelate, I agree that it is a bit slow, but I think if we can slow down the game with our other stuff, it locks out the game which is quite pleasant. Interestingly I sided it in against everything i played that wasn't shops. Naming 2 against oath seems VERY good. It wouldn't come in against Dredge probably, but overall I was happy with it as a one-of.

I have actually played Devout Witness in the past and I was considering a different spellshaper actually in the form of Hammer Mage. I will test out serenity, and I also had a crazy thought involving ancient tombs and Settle the Wreckage that might be crazy.

I really liked this list against everything that wasn't shops. My only other loss on the day was a close match against jerry yang's paradoxical oath which turned 1'd me in game 3, I want to chalk that up to just getting vintaged. Our games were super interesting. In game 1 if I had a chant in hand I would have beat him when he oath'd his whole deck and had to memory's journey to be able to win with will, had I had the chant (or consultation) I could have blown him out in response to will with 0 cards in library.

I definitely agree with you on Revoker. It's one of those few coveted cards that are good in a lot of matchups, and I'm not really happy to be cutting it from my lists, but the disapperance of Jace from the metagame (more or less) makes it a little better.

Yeah, Prelate is very good vs Oath and (and Jeskai and exceptional against Landstill). Glad to see someone else play it!

Hammer Mage does seem interesting. In fact, if you really want to beat Shops, adding red is probably the way to go. I've had the most succes against Shops playing Red/White with Ancient Tombs and By Forces and Meltdowns.

• @nartman99
    Any chance you might have the Landstill and Dragon lists? Thank you in advance 🙂

• TMD Supporter

I bet we can get the dragon list pretty easily. @korak, any help?

• TMD Supporter

Yeah I asked Patrick and Matt for their lists yesterday but haven't heard from them. I think Matt picked up Assassin's Trophies at the store and Patrick played U/W/R Landstill because he comfortably played U/W Landstill last time but I believe he said the deck was not where he wanted it to be.

• Who can help me get in contact with twaun?

• @fisken said in Team Serious Open - 10/20/18 at the Kidforce Collectibles Berea, OH Results:

Who can help me get in contact with twaun?

good luck with that, he's pretty difficult to get in touch with.

• What’s up?

WAF/WHF