Eternal Central: Introducing Middle School

• I think there's a mistake in the list for not including Tempest Efreet as a banned card.

• @samuela I think you got the lists wrong. The differences are actually:

Middle School bans:
    Dark Ritual
    Imperial Seal
    Lion’s Eye Diamond
    Tinker
    Yawgmoth’s Bargain

Premodern bans:
    Earthcraft
    Entomb
    Force of Will
    Frantic Search
    Grim Monolith
    Mystical Tutor
    Necropotence
    Show and Tell
    Tendrils of Agony
    Time Spiral
    Worldgorger Dragon

They both attack fast mana in a way (Mana Crypt is illegal in both), but I fell premodern is much more interested in slowing combo decks, while Middle School is more interesting in making FoW check combo. I for one prefer the Premodern approach. Letting stuff like Entomb, Frantic Search, Necro, Mystical, etc, feels to me like the format makes a lot of archetypes obsolete. Haven't played it yet, but that's the overall feeling. Premodern seems more fair and willing to make a different gameplay than we're used to.

I mean, am I really going to play an old school format to play the same combo x FoW games I play in Legacy/Vintage? I want a different game feel than what I'm used to. That's what old school formats are all about. I hate the name "Premodern", but I feel it's a format I'm more willing to invest.

1. "Never sell your cards." -BetaFiend

2. If you don't want to play a format, don't.

3. Don't shit on someone's idea of fun just because it doesn't align with your own.

• TMD Supporter

So can play Cabal Ritual, Tendrils, Necro, Yawgmoth’s Will, Lotus Petal. Let’s build storm!

• Just realize there is a format called 'Premodern'. I think its better to just focus on either Premodern or Middle school and promote it big to increase the player base and interest. There is no use to have different small formats.

• @covetousrat said in Eternal Central: Introducing Middle School:

Just realize there is a format called 'Premodern'. I think its better to just focus on either Premodern or Middle school and promote it big to increase the player base and interest. There is no use to have different small formats.

They are very different formats though. I'd never be interested in Premodern with their banlist, for example.

• @hrishi said in Eternal Central: Introducing Middle School:

@covetousrat said in Eternal Central: Introducing Middle School:

Just realize there is a format called 'Premodern'. I think its better to just focus on either Premodern or Middle school and promote it big to increase the player base and interest. There is no use to have different small formats.

They are very different formats though. I'd never be interested in Premodern with their banlist, for example.

Premodern seems as unexplosive as Modern considering their banlist. Middle School seems different and probably warrants distinction from other formats.

• @hrishi I'm much more inclined to play Premodern than Middle School exactly because of the banlist. A meta of "Early game breaking threats x Force of Will" is not something I'm looking for outside of Vintage and Legacy. Premodern seems much more balanced.
    Also, Middle School seems much more expensive to play, because of the banlist and for allowing Portal and Starter.

• Has Middle School or Premodern been promoted before on other websites eg Mtgthesource.com?

• Hyperextended > All

• TMD Supporter

@fsecco My Rock deck cost less than $40 to put together and that's using 'real' cards. If you're looking at using gold borders, all decks are fairly cheap. Not sure how much cheaper you can get.

• TMD Supporter

@desolutionist So will is banned in both formats, which is why it isn't listed above. You can play the rest of those cards though! (We have had a hard time building a storm deck with only necro as the engine, because of the way necro works, if you find a good build please share!)

• @cutlex you know you can't use 1 deck as an example of the costs of a whole format, right? Look beyond your own yard.
    To play Middle School you need FoWs, Grim Monoliths, etc, which makes it more expensive, as does allowing Portal and Starter. If a card in those sets ever becomes a staple... Good luck.
    Allowing Gold Bordered cards is nice, but I bet most Premodern groups would allow it too.
    Now, as I said before, the overall play style of the Middle School seems something I'm not looking for, since that banlist seems pretty much reliant on FoW to keep things in check.

• @fsecco just picked up a playset of gold border monoliths for $10/ea!

• @tittliewinks22 Good for you. If the format gets any popular, they'll cost Collector's Edition prices 😉
    Anyway I think it's more expensive and less fun to play because the dynamics are the same I see in Vintage and Legacy. I want to play a slower format to have a different feel, which is why played Old School in the first place. For me Premodern seems better in that sense.

• TMD Supporter

@garbageaggro

I would try a list that doesn’t force the Tendrils kill to happen all in one turn. And instead uses the lifegain to keep going with Necropotence. Depending on the speed of the format, can look into Cabal Coffers, Lake of the Dead, and Consume Spirit. And also some multi-function black creature that can either attack for those final points of damage or have some kind of useful ability in the meta; maybe similar to Hypnotic Specter.

• @desolutionist

Zombie Infestation is pretty baller with Necro.

• TMD Supporter

@rat3de It might? I think the harder part is playing enough islands with no dual lands? But yeah man, try to get it working. We are definitely in experimental exploration phase!

• @garbageaggro I think it would just be cool to have such an iconic archetype come back, but sadly I do not own many cards, and was not alive when most of Middle School's sets came out. Though I could still try to cook out a list for you if you would like.

• I'm pretty excited about the format. I built a group of 8 that fit both "premodern" and "middleschool" rules. In general in casual formats like this, I'm not super interested in combo which is really the only thing these banned lists are for (with a few exceptions). It's not like there is a super competitive scene where you need to win an event. I just got to build some of my favorites from history:

• Sligh
    • Stompy
    • U/G Madness
    • U/G Control (Adrian Sullivan Style)
    • Zombie Clerics
    • Song of Blood Aggro
    • Slivers
    • Goblins

Should be a blast!

WAF/WHF