UW Lantern Control

• I made a deck in Legacy I called “Technodrome” that was basically lantern control with Paradox Engine, and it could create an endless turn where you could mill your opponent to death with Codex Shredder. It relied upon Sensei’s Divining Top, which is now banned in Legacy.

So I am prting the deck over to Vintage, hoping it can be viable. It’s Blue and White, still has one Paradox Engine, but also Voltaic Key and Time Vault, and aims to mill out the opponent. Jace the Mind scultpor is in the deck as well as an alternate win condition.

Check out the list and let me know what you think.

4 Senseis Divining Top
    2 Codex Shredder
    2 Lantern of Insight
    3 Mox Opal
    1 Sol Ring
    1 Mox Pearl
    1 Mox Sapphire
    1 Mox Emerald
    1 Black Lotus
    1 Paradox Engine
    1 Voltaic Key
    1 Time Vault
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

4 Terminus
    4 Force of Will
    4 Mana Drain
    3 Jace the Mind Sculptor
    1 Ancestral’s Recall
    1 Timewalk
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Ponder
    1 Dig Through Time
    1 Treasure Cruise
    1 Tinker
    1 Moat

6 Fetchland
    4 Tundra
    1 Island
    1 Plains
    1 Tolarian Academy
    3 Maze of Ith
    1 Tabernacle at the Pendrell Vale

• @GrimoirePath I would begin with analyzing both your goals and metagame. Do you just want to play your pet deck? Do you want to try out Vintage and thought this would be a good deck to start? Once you have decided on your goals, then think about the metagame. If you are playing paper, then go to your LGS or whatever and watch a few players to get a feel for what to expect next time. If you are playing MTGO then how you evaluate your goals will be very important. Then think of how your deck will do in your intended field, if it does not seems satisfactory to your goals, then tune it. Also think of what your deck has going for it that others do not, this will help you find its strengths and weaknesses. I see you do not have a sideboard, I suggest you make one, as all the strategies in vintage are very different it is important to have a good SB. Most importantly, good luck, and have fun!

• @rat3de Thanks! i have a sideboard, just didnt post it.

All of my vintage play is, for now, just with some local friends for fun. I may go to some events though in the future, depending on scheduling.

• @GrimoirePath Cool, you may want to post it if you want feedback just so you know. Right now I feel like your deck would be fine against other blue decks, but you are very weak to Shops and Dredge (you are actually helping them so...). Also you may want a few creatures like Mentor or Containment Priest to help you win, and prevent your opponent from winning. Also one of the problems with Terminus in Vintage is that there is very rarely a large board of creatures unless you are playing Dredge and you have not lost yet. This means that it may get minimal value against a variety of strategies, and combined with both Ponder and Brainstorm being restricted it can be very hard to set up. I could be wrong as I have no experience with the card but that is just my advice with my limited (and new) experience. You may want to ask for help from someone more experience who would be willing to help with a janky build like @ChubbyRain or another friendly fellow. Also you may want some number of Trinket Mage and/or Tezzeret to help you tutor up the artifact consistently, along with a tinkerbot to help you get free wins.

• @rat3de thanks for the advice. I have been goldfishing it against ravager shops, and the build Im using does have a decent board of creatures, but ill take your word on it for the field at large.

• @grimoirepath Take this for what's it worth, but you really need Mental Misstep over Mana Drain. I love Mana Drain but 4 is too many and too slow. Your Sensei's Top will be countered by Mental Misstep or shut down by Null Rod/Stony Silence and you are too slow against PO. I would go with a PO style build and add 4 Mental Misstep maybe 2 Flusterstorm and 2 - 4 Paradoxical Outcome to accelerate.

Cut the Moat, it is too slow and does not do what you want it to do any more and go down to 2 Jace the Mind Sculptor because Pyroblast and Phyrexian Revoker get heavy play in Vintage.

If you want to improve you Dredge match up consider main deck Leyline of the Void and one Helm. If there is not room add at least one more Ensnaring Bridge and sideboard in the Leylines.

All of that said, I love your deck and I think it has great potential. Good luck.

• @moorebrother1 thanks for the tips! I actually started with Missteps, so I can go back to them. I guess its meta dependent, but is Dredge typically prominently played enough to require main deck gravyard hate?

• @grimoirepath I am having this issue with my Blue Moon deck. The deck is a solid 10% of the meta online and depending on your paper meta it varies.

At one paper event I played the deck 4 times in a 6 round event, but only played against it once at SCG Con in 13 rounds.

WAF/WHF