The Eternal Weekend NA 2018 Thread

• I scrubbed out on 4C Humans at 3-4 in Vintage Finals. Fun, interactive magic, but nothing for the history books.

Legacy I played Belcher (PEOPLE'S CANNON) just for fun and lots of downtime. After dropping first match to Miracles, I went on a 7-0 tear to get to the feature tables at 7-1! I lost (BARELY) to Show and Tell in Game 3 (He was at 10 life after a failed gamble on a Burning Wish line, I was 1 short for Empty, and had to settle on a Grapeshot from sideboard). He Casts Show and Tell, and he shows me Griseldaddy. I show him Belcher, I have a Taiga on board, and am looking for 2 permanant mana sources OR an LED to belch. I am at 20, so I have 2 live draws to get there. First draw is SSG, so now I can draw any of the 7 remaining spirit guides to belch (and he cannot stop it!). Alas, it was not meant to be. I finished the day in Legacy at 8-3, good enough for 50th place. Woohoo!

• @volrathxp Highest placing unpowered player was Andrew Franks on Mono Red Blood moon. I lost to him in round 6, on my way to 8-2 and 16th.

• @neo_altoid

Thanks! I'll try to hunt down his list.

• @aeonsovarius Not sure how serious you are at picking up Bazaars but I have an extra one currently ...

• @volrathxp let me know when you find it 😉 I think there were seven total players on mono red, i want to try and get them into a think tank and perfect a list, or just run andrews lol

• TMD Supporter

If anyone has that sean o'brien list i would be interested seemed pretty cool.

• @garbageaggro

@JACO has the lists and I think will be scanning them similar to Waterbury or NYSE or one of the other large Vintage tournaments from last year.

• @neo_altoid
    Well, that's pretty different.
    I looked at the top 8 games, he played perfectly. I'm not sure i would have done as well. Congratulations to all players.
    But once again, i'm convinced you really need to be in a "good day" to perform that great.

• @chubbyrain do you have an idea of when this might occur?

• @garbageaggro

Sean O'Brian
    "Requiem for a Teeg"

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Null Rod
    2 Leovold, Emmissary of Trest
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Manglehorn
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Time Walk
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Assassins Trophy
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Black Lotus
    4 Mox E/J/P/S
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Savannah
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

SB
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Kambal, Consul of Absolution
    1 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Abrubt Decay
    1 Steel Sabotage
    2 Energy Flux
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Nature's Claim

@volrathxp

I don't know but Jaco typically has a pretty quick turnaround time. Ryan Eberhart and I were just granted access to the scanned lists so that we can do our metagame analyses. Check Eternal Central's website or twitter for when the post goes live.

• @chubbyrain I sent you a DM.

• @chubbyrain said in The Eternal Weekend NA 2018 Thread:

@garbageaggro

Sean O'Brian
    "Requiem for a Teeg"

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Null Rod
    2 Leovold, Emmissary of Trest
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Manglehorn
    1 Noble Hierarch
    1 Vampiric Tutor
    1 Demonic Tutor
    1 Time Walk
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Brainstorm
    1 Abrupt Decay
    4 Assassins Trophy
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Ramunap Excavator
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Black Lotus
    4 Mox E/J/P/S
    1 Lotus Petal
    1 Strip Mine
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    1 Savannah
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Misty Rainforest
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Bayou
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland

SB
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 In the Eye of Chaos
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Kambal, Consul of Absolution
    1 Grafdiggers Cage
    1 Abrubt Decay
    1 Steel Sabotage
    2 Energy Flux
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Nature's Claim

@volrathxp

I don't know but Jaco typically has a pretty quick turnaround time. Ryan Eberhart and I were just granted access to the scanned lists so that we can do our metagame analyses. Check Eternal Central's website or twitter for when the post goes live.

*O'Brien ... Thanks @ChubbyRain for typing it out.

I started off 6-0 crushing the same shops 75 4 times, crushing White Eldrazi by mounting TKS and Smasher heads on my wall and beat SotF pretty easily by controlling the yard with DRS game 1 and leaning on Ooze and lots of G mana game 2 which is almost unbeatable by current builds.

Then I got Misstepped 30 times in the next two rounds. The landstill match wasn't remotely close, my round 7 vs. Matt was pretty close. Game 1 I got a Goyf which is quite good against him and I think his hand became counterspells and he got beat down. Game 2 was bolts, snaps and bolts ... I drew Teeg one turn late and he drew DTT into the Restricted list. Game 3 I had a decent keep vs. a cantrip hand with Ancestral to Duress a Misstep. So I upkeep Ancestral on his 6 and he Missteps. His remaining 6 were Lotus, Land, Young Money x 2, Probe, Mystery Card. So he passed back to me with 6 power and infinite tokens. In past years when pyro was more prevalent I've had better solutions (Illness in the Misstep and Virulent Plague) but I had piled more PO hate in my board and didn't have a great token solution. RIP.

I beat Blaine in the last round as well. I think my deck is amazing vs. PO, SotF and shops. But probably needs some better sideboard cards vs. Misstep Stew. Probably just 2-3 Missteps. Or some Thoughtseizes to incinerate main phase mana to psuedo-Duress the first Skillstep.

Great event, had fun, met some awesome and gracious opponents who ended games with no permanents.

• Just want to note that I got ahold of the list I needed from Andrew himself. 🙂

• TMD Supporter

@chubbyrain I appreciate it, looks like a cool list

• This week I'll be writing an (unnecessary) tournament report about my 6-4 finish, and also recording a podcast about the event and thoughts on the meta. But long story short:

• On the ground Vintage felt pretty solid.
    • I've been one of those Shops apologists who's spent the past couple years saying people need to build/play better against Shops, and it feels like we're finally reaching the point where people are doing that to very good results.
    • Paradoxical Outcome can be a pretty unfun card/deck to play against - if we could restrict it while not grossly changing the meta, I'd like to see it restricted - but it's seemingly contributed to a much more balanced Vintage.
    • Great, great, great event. Thanks to all my opponents for some good matches, my buddies for traveling with me, and anyone else I got to say hi to!

• @themonadnomad shoot me a pm

WAF/WHF