2019 MOCS Championship Update Announcement

Awesome! Even if i have no interest in even trying to qualify for the pro tour this feels like a great move.

This is awesome indeed! It feels awkward having all those qualifier points, and to not waste it play formats you don't really care about. It's a pretty nice move, and I think it will probably increase the number of people playing vintage. About the pauper league, I think it was about time. It has grown a lot, and it's a nice format too. Having competitive league may bring more people to it.

I've posted about this just about everywhere but I can not stress how much I love this announcement. I know that I am in the minority as a Vintage player striving for the Pro Tour but this change perfectly fits my goals for Magic. I cant wait sink more time into Vintage and not feel like I am sacrificing to much time on my goal of making the PT. HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I wonder if people like LSV and Duke will play more vintage now. There are a lot of pro players that really like the eternal formats but play standard because thats where the pro scene is.

@john-cox said in 2019 MOCS Championship Update Announcement:

I wonder if people like LSV and Duke will play more vintage now. There are a lot of pro players that really like the eternal formats but play standard because thats where the pro scene is.

I doubt it, since they're qualified already.

@John-Cox I bet this WILL make guys who don't qualify automatically based on previous results and such play. I'd imagine some of the grinders will pick up Vintage, just to increase their chances to qualify.

It wasn't clear to me until re-reading the announcement, Format Points (FPs), which are used to enter the Format Challenges, can be earned starting on December 2nd, 8am PST.

Now that there is no pro tour, what happens to the format champions?

@Smmenen @ChubbyRain However the MTGO account did tweet "Players will still be able to qualify for tabletop Mythic Championships through Magic Online tournaments." earlier today. Unclear if that still means format champs or not, but we're supposed to get more details next week.

last edited by craw_advantage

@craw_advantage Yeah, they said a more significant announcement is coming next week.

This just went up: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/state-magic-online-2018-12-14

Relevant portion to this question:

Speaking of ways to play, by now you've seen Wizards' announcement about esports, and MTGO will continue to play its part by qualifying players for the tabletop Mythic Championships as well as hosting our own Magic Online Championship Series. As part of that support, we increased the prizes for Championships to $250,000 for the 2019 season. We've also expanded the ways you can qualify by expanding the Weekend Challenges to be part of the Championship Series. Now you can even qualify for the tabletop Mythic Championships by focusing on your favorite formats.

So it sounds like everything they announced before is still on, including format champs qualifying for the Pro Tour Mythic Championship, and that this was just a communication miss.

Views