Spell Snare - Time for a comeback?

• Re: [RAV] Spell Snare

Has anyone tried this lately? In addition to shops and Oath as mentioned in the old thread, there are a bunch of targets for this being played now: Survival (and associated bears), Pyromancer, Snapcaster, Ancient Grudge, Assassin's Trophy, etc. Worth a shot, or still too narrow compared to Flusterstorm/Spell Pierce?

• Sounds worth trying. It's a condicional counterspell that's live against shops.

• @craw_advantage When it's useful it's a 1 for 1 trade that nets you 1 mana over your opponent. When it's not useful you get mowed down by an opponent who deploys their gameplan while you sit there helplessly with a reactive spell in hand.

• Not with Misstep running around. It's also marginal against PO (Grid, restricted cards). There's no room left after packing a stew deck with 3.8 x Misstep and 4 x Force. Costing mana is a bummer for Spell Snare, it would be better if it cost 2 life and was +1 mana for delve. I think you could play 1-2 Snares and hope to hit Sphere decks and SotF if you backed it up with your own Missteps which you'll need in the Stew mirror. If Misstep gets restricted I think you'd see a more eclectic mix of counter magic, with Pierce, Snare, Sabotage returning to playability.

• @countdabubba said in Spell Snare - Time for a comeback?:

@craw_advantage When it's useful it's a 1 for 1 trade that nets you 1 mana over your opponent. When it's not useful you get mowed down by an opponent who deploys their gameplan while you sit there helplessly with a reactive spell in hand.

That sounds like Mental Misstep.

• @griselbrother said in Spell Snare - Time for a comeback?:

@countdabubba said in Spell Snare - Time for a comeback?:

@craw_advantage When it's useful it's a 1 for 1 trade that nets you 1 mana over your opponent. When it's not useful you get mowed down by an opponent who deploys their gameplan while you sit there helplessly with a reactive spell in hand.

That sounds like Mental Misstep.

I think costing zero mana vs costing one mana (even though they are both +1 mana advantage, assuming you're not misstepping a misstep) makes Misstep worth the risk of this situation.

Sure, they're both gonna be irrelevant at some point. (That's the drawback of cheap conditional counters), but costing no mana makes Misstep worth it.

No mana over one mana is greater than the difference of one mana.

• @xxhazardxx exactly, which is why Misstep needs to go. Nothing beats free (or +1 mana if you are playing the delve spells).

Compared to Misstep there's no reason Nix shouldn't also cost 2 life and -1 mana.

• The only deck I feel comfortable running any amount of spell snare, is in Landstill. Even then, I'd rather run spell pierce #3-4 over spell snare #2
    Just depends on your decks weekness and your meta.

• TMD Supporter

I tried EW tp8 landstill decklist with an additional Spell Snare in the main and it was golden. However, I played mainly vs. Oath, Jeskai and Pyromancer lists.

At first I was a little reluctant to try it, but playing with 4 MM and 2 Snapcasters, the Snares are "always" protected. I was really impressed by the performance of the card and the "security" it provides when holding it specially in a deck with so many counters.

I would try to upwards it to 3 if possible as you want it to be a hard counter in turns 3+ vs. Xerox style lists.

WAF/WHF