Vintage 101: Survivor - Amonkhet Edition

@volrathxp pretty good breakdown. The reason to go BUG with survival, though, is for the free disruption. Free creatures AND free disruption is crazy good. You no longer have to choose between deploying a clock or deploying disruption.

The rest of the deck is a balancing act of enough creatures for survival, enough blue cards for fow, enough Mana against shops, and the core cards. Leo is the best intersection of those first two, Deathrite for the first and third.

Overall feels much better in the mirror, against PO, against oath. Weaker vs shops.

last edited by kaluma

Oh man, side note: I watched the hoogland survival video linked and it was painful! He scoops so aggressively early (to a tangle wire one game?), sideboards out ALL survivals way too aggressively, and in general makes in game plays that seem pretty loose. I can give a pass for that last one - the deck is actually pretty tricky to pilot - but he basically just tried to cheese wins and then concedes. If you're playing a vintage league, actually play vintage? Pretty sure he was just trying to play it like a modern hollow one deck haha. I don't think he even activated survival one time!

I think people that watch his stream are not looking for good gameplay. That being said, I agree in a sense that it probably wasn't a good reference for someone that would like to know how to play the deck.

@gutocmtt @kaluma
I hope they’re not watching for good gameplay... he is certainly not going to deliver on that account.

I've watched jeff hoogland a few times and get the feeling he doesn't know vintage that well. I agree he's probably more of a modern player. I like that he is showing people our format though, exposure is hard to turn down!

@john-cox my issue is that he is showing the format from such a jaded and narrow viewpoint. Show off what the format is like, don't just scoop after 3 turns to a revoker and tangle wire! Against oath of druids, let them spill their deck into the GY and see what's in it, either for your own strategic decisions or at least to let the viewers see more of the deck.

@kaluma i really dont understand your last posts... so i have 2 questions for you, so i can understand the whole thing better:
Do you stream aswell? If so...
Does this jeff got more viewers than you?
Somehow i feel i know alredy the answers.... and now i understand your post better.... it actually makes sense xD

@kaluma

Yeah, sometimes Jeff can be a bit much. I agree on that notion. I didn't watch the whole thing, was just trying to find different content viewpoints. 🙂

@megustalabanana said in Vintage 101: Survivor - Amonkhet Edition:

@kaluma i really dont understand your last posts... so i have 2 questions for you, so i can understand the whole thing better:
Do you stream aswell? If so...
Does this jeff got more viewers than you?
Somehow i feel i know alredy the answers.... and now i understand your post better.... it actually makes sense xD

I don't want this to get out of hand, but Kaluma (along with a whole bunch of other people here* @wfain) invented the deck and did it witha lot of it streaming so I doubt Kaluma has stream envy. I think jeff is very good at playing popular decks in interesting formats. Most TMD people are more attuned to vintage gameplay than jeff's audience probably is.

last edited by John Cox
    Views