@ChubbyRain What do you mean? Drops did well last night.

He must have disagreed as he deleted his TMD account.

Edit: I think it's hard to have a deck you created highlighted and not live up to expectations. Just trying to express sympathy. I hope he comes back and contributes some of his thoughts on the deck to TMD. The Dredge Shops deck is really hard to pilot and the VSL is a rough tournament to compete in.

last edited by ChubbyRain

Week 7 decklists are up and the spice flows!

https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2019/02/vintage-super-league-season-9-week-7-decklists/

Interesting the Brian K. would go with a list that is unproven on a large scale considering he has to win out to get into the playoffs. Rachel going with a safe bet as she needs just two wins to lock up a playoff spot. Bob, eliminated from playoff contention just wants to turn one someone and have fun. Also eliminated is Brian Coval playing Vintage Lands. Quick scan only sees one copy of Karakas from his opponents and no Swords (though there are several other ways for his opponents to interact with Marit Lage).

Should be good!

Dragonlord Brian was contemplating running a more conventional Blue Tempo deck but he recalled that Paradoxical Brian said "Since I am eliminated from playoff contention, my challenge now is to out-brew Brian Kelly." The Dragonlord was displeased, a great many cigarettes were consumed, and the playoffs became a secondary goal of this week's VSL festivities. Dromoka held counsel with Titania, Protector of Argoth, the enchantresses were summoned, and the Dragonlord spent the last couple of weeks preparing the following list for the pleasure of the audience. Hopefully, this affirms the Dragonlord's rightful place as the absurd creator of Vintage spice. Until Silumgar swoops in and usurps it. Mwhahahaha.

@chubbyrain said in VSL Season 9 Thread:

Dragonlord Brian was contemplating running a more conventional Blue Tempo deck but he recalled that Paradoxical Brian said "Since I am eliminated from playoff contention, my challenge now is to out-brew Brian Kelly." The Dragonlord was displeased, a great many cigarettes were consumed, and the playoffs became a secondary goal of this week's VSL festivities. Dromoka held counsel with Titania, Protector of Argoth, the enchantresses were summoned, and the Dragonlord spent the last couple of weeks preparing the following list for the pleasure of the audience. Hopefully, this affirms the Dragonlord's rightful place as the absurd creator of Vintage spice. Until Silumgar swoops in and usurps it. Mwhahahaha.

Silumgar is a heretic in thrall to Hollow Ones.

I can't find the words to adequately describe the joy of seeing Arcane Denial in that Enchantress list.

Some great lists this week! Very fun to see them all in action. Of course you especially gotta love Kelly's deck.

I've never known of Brian Coval before this year's VSL, but he seems like a very intelligent person and a very good player. However, I feel like he punted at least a few of his games this week, which I was a bit surprised to see.

Thank you craw_advantage and Griselbrother.

Brian lives in Pittsburgh where they had a major power outage and he was playing from his friend's house after having been up for 30 hours (I think?). He's been an excellent player and thinker every time I've encountered him at paper events under less draining circumstances.

Week 8 decklists are up!
https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2019/03/vintage-super-league-season-9-week-8-decklists/
Stephen Menendian (@Smmenen ) on Jeskai Mentor (Menendian Control)
Saffron Olive on Free Win Red (Mono-Red Prison)
Matt Sperling on Oath (Weird 4C Kelly Oath?)
Rich Shay (@The-Atog-Lord ) on RUG Xerox (Sperling Xerox)

I am interested to see how this plays out! Saffron seems like he will have some tough matchups with so much Dack around along with Oath. Oath seems like a good meta call, with little Cage and no Priest around! I wonder why he went with only 2 MD targets though .... Seems very risky.

Sounds like a lot of fun!

last edited by Rat3dE

Week 9 decklists are up!
https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2019/03/vintage-super-league-season-9-seminfinals-decklists/
Randy Buehler on Paradoxical Outcome Storm and Jeskai Xerox
Andreas Peterson on (Pitch) Dredge and Sylvan Outcome (Bant PO)
Rachel Agnes on Seeking Spells (Weird Jeskai Xerox) and UR Pyromancer (Temur Xerox)
Rich Shay on Sylvan Xerox (Temur Xerox) and Ravager Shops

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Last night's matches were super interesting (to me). I love the intricacies of the Xerox mirror, so I immensely appreciated the matches that demonstrated the advantages of different colors and tactics and the possible lines of play.

SPOILER ALERT:

W
A
R
N
I
N
G

As for who will win the finals, although he doesn't have the highest MTGO win rate according to that database in the other thread, for the last year or so, I've viewed Andreas as the most ambidextrous and overall best Vintage player, in the sense of someone who plays at a pro level, but deeply understands the format, and tends to play the best decks. On the other hand, Rachel is a savant with blue decks - she's very, very facile, and intuits the correct and best play quickly and swiftly.

To me, that sets up a perfect finals - two Vintage experts, but one who is deep and wide, who plays at an extremely high technical level, and another who is basically an extremely high level fun and intuitive player, and can easily overpower the former. We saw how Rachel did that to Rich, even though Rich is obviously a deeper format expert. I've felt all season long that Andreas was going to win the tournament, so I guess I'll go with Andreas, but Rachel has a great shot if Andreas isn't very careful in his deck selection, and doesn't also match her draws in terms of power.

last edited by Smmenen
    Views