@cuikui said in Best way to brew a deck:

@rat3de To cast Crop Rotation you have to sac a land, when it get MM it's a 2 for 1. When Death's Shadow is counter it's a 1 for 1.

Can't you just Misstep their Misstep? Or if necessary Misstep the Misstep that Missteps your Misstep?

@rat3de and @Cuikui you both just proved my point that there is still a lot to discuss about Vintage Lands and it can brewed better with this discussion.

How do we get more of this?

last edited by moorebrother1

@moorebrother1 There should have people interested in the deck, and at least one person dedicated on the task of brewing, thinking, talking and testing ideas for improvements/new stuff. Survival drew attention of lots of people. And in the beginning @wfain was all the time bringing new stuff, and eventually me and @kaluma were hooked, and we became the dedicated people to improve the deck and keep that flow going.

It got my attention after it proved by people playing against me that it was a decent idea, that was still in it's early drafts but that was promissing. And the deck idea is pretty different from most of vintage and that sounded awesome.

I don't know what the problem about lands is. I always liked the idea of the lands deck, but it used to be too expensive, now it's not anymore. Actually, now everything is cheaper than ever on MTGO \o/

But it's hard to get attention from people before doing a lot of brewing and showing something worth spending some time on. I mean, brewing is nice, but when we got so many things to do in the world, it takes something that look worth spending some time on to really get hooked. I personally read everything new here. My unread tab on TMD is usually empty, because I love looking at new ideas and thoughts for the format, and when something comes to my mind I reply to keep the ideas flowing. But one thing is read what people are saying and say something new I may bring to the table.

Spending more time on thinking deeply, researching, etc, is different, and I guess we are lucky that you along with some other people are always trying to bring nice discussions here on TMD.

PS.: Oh, and also to draw attention it should be something that seems nice/cool/great to people in a personal level. I never got into PO discussions because I never really liked the deck. The same way there are people that like PO and don't like survival, and so on. I don't know if that's the case, but maybe there are less lands entusiasts playing vintage than there usually are. I doubt that's the case, but that's also a possibility and something that influenciates on the community effort made to brew.

last edited by GutoCmtt

@GutoCmtt @moorebrother1 I agree. It all comes down to personal preferences and creating an alluring deck. A random internet stranger is much more likely to invest time and effort into brewing a deck with you if you can provide results and/or feedback. I would personally love brewing a lands deck, in fact I have at least three very different ideas for it! The problem for me is accessibility and time. If you want any help with Lands, I will try my best.

@moorebrother1
I started brewing the deck sometime last summer. I saw Dredge using Hollow Ones and friends of mine enjoyed the modern version of Hollow One so I decided to look at cards that could work well with it in vintage. Years ago I missed out on playing Survival in legacy by a few weeks and that was a bummer since I’ve been in love with the card since the World Championship Rec-Sur deck.

What ended up happening is I figured out the core cards in the deck and threw some other stuff in to try it out. I messaged @infant_no_1 to jam some games online and we both felt like there was something good happening, so I kept working on it until I started putting up about a 5-0 per week (plus basically never going negative). That sold me on it as a “real” deck and not just a project. That’s when I posted it here. People chimed in, it got picked up a couple times in VSL and then won the Japan champs event!

I simply started out by saying free 4/4’s have to be good enough for the format and worked to figure out how I could make it happen. Bazaar was obvious, then Rootwala fit right in, then VV, then Survival. Those 20 cards just happened really, it was about finding the right mix to work with them.

@rat3de To cast Crop Rotation you have to sac a land, when it get MM it's a 2 for 1. When Death's Shadow is counter it's a 1 for 1.

Technically, MM a DS is still 2 for 1 since they used a mana source to cast DS.

@ten-ten So MM a crop rotation is a 3 for 1? 😨

Edit: Just realized it is a 3 for 3, you spend 1 card and 2 lives.

last edited by GutoCmtt

@ten-ten said in Best way to brew a deck:

Technically, MM a DS is still 2 for 1 since they used a mana source to cast DS.

They also made a token and got +1 mana for delve. (ducks)

I want to come back to this topic and discuss how to approach brewing a deck.

I want to build a Karn deck so I focused on the card Karn. I will say that I looked at 3 possibilities. First, a shop deck that helps push constructs. Second, a Paradoxical Outcome variant that bounces Karn and pushes fast constructs. Third, a planeswalker deck that plays a mix of planeswalkers to take control of the board.

None of these approaches are net new but all require a lot of time and thought. What is the best approach to get help here? I own all of the card on paper but I do not own them on MTGO. Do I buy in on MTGO to try this out even though it will probably fail? I am all about try and fail and try again but this is really hard to do in a bubble.

What is the best way to engage others and get people interested?

Views