It's that time of year again! Or past it, actually.

It's an annual tradition with @Klep and I. Last year's thread: http://themanadrain.com/topic/1758/best-films-of-2017

To begin, here is a list of 2018 releases: https://www.firstshowing.net/schedule2018/

Here are the 2018 releases I've seen, in order of release date:

The Commuter
Black Panther
Annhilation
A Wrinkle in Time
Ready One Player
A Quiet Place
Avengers: Infinity War
RBG
Deadpool 2
Solo
Jurassic World 2
Won't You Be My Neighbor?
Three Identical Strangers
Ant Man and the Wasp
Sorry to Bothering You
Blindspotting
Mission Impossible: Fallout
BlacKkKlansman
The Predator
The House with a Clock in its Walls
A Star is Born
Venom
The Hate U Give
First Man
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Widows
Green Book
Bohemian Rhapsody
Creed II
Mary Queen of Scots
If Beale Street Could Talk
Aquaman
Vice

Movies I still want to see:

Minding the Gap
At eternity’s gate

Wow! I saw quite a few films released in 2018! It was a pretty good year for film, but my tastes this year veered more 'popular' than the Academy.

The documentaries of 2018 were absurdly good, and if I included them, they would swamp my top 5 or even top 10. Won't you Be My Neighbor was probably the best thing I saw all year, so I'm going to stick to the non-Doc films.

My top 5 films of the year, from 5th to 1st:

1. Creed II

I had Creed I in my list before, and I liked this one even more.

1. The Hate U Give

This was the best narrative on race I saw in 2018, and there were a number of good ones, including Blindspotting, which was better than the strange twist Sorry to Bother You.

1. A Star is Born

I really dug this film. The performances were outstanding. The music was great, and I loved it from start to finish.

1. First Man

Damien Chazelle made one of my favorite movies of all time, Whiplash, and this film was unbelievable. Must see film. Completely profound too.

1. A Quiet Place

The best film of the year. I have never seen anything like it, and I loved every moment. It was so quiet in the theater that someone near the front literally got out of their seat to close the theater door. I'll never forget that.

RBG and Won't you Be My Neighbor would be basically tied for the top couple of slots if I included them.

Your turn!

last edited by Smmenen

You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't see Roma or Eighth Grade.

I watched 30 minutes of Roma and gave up. I have a pretty high tolerance for slowly plotted films, but not for overly indulgent films. I may try and finish the film if I can do it while multitasking.

I’ll check out eighth grade thanks for the tip.

Change that to "Best North American Films of 2018" and I can go with it 😛

last edited by fsecco

A Quiet Place is the only "scary movie" my mother has sat through in a long time. I liked it too, -good movie!

Views