How did you start playing Vintage?

• TMD Supporter

I remember when Type One and Type two were basically of equal importance to the community. I was a young highschool kid. There was one guy who came to the shop that would ONLY play type one against you even if all you had was type two AND he was fully powered. It was a case of an aggro try-hard trying to impress all the kids like me with his mad magical skillz, even though he was so bad I saw him cheat my little brother before.

Anyway, I always WANTED to play type one but I couldn't get the cards. I used to skip eating lunch at school and buy packs with my lunch money because I had no allowance or anything. My tiny bankroll covered a few boosters but not power, which was much cheaper then but still expensive for a kid.

As soon as I was old enough to legally work I got a job. After paying for my room and board (yes, I had to pay rent while I was still in high school. I lived with a single mother and that's reality) I would spend all my extra money on cards. Eventually I traded for a set of dual lands, a time walk, a mox emerald, wheel of fortune, and some other restricted stuff and made a haphazard deck.

Basically I just played five color good stuff with Force of Wills and my one italian Mana Drain and tried to win with serra angel or mahamoti djin (or maybe morphling, now that I think of it Morphling seems like it was my win condition). There weren't any type one tournaments around so I never even tried this pile in one. Within a year or two I quit, sometime after Mercadian Masques block.

In 2014 I got back into Magic. I saw that Vintage was affordable on MTGO and I decided to take the plunge. The rest is history.

• I started playing in 95. Power cards were only something we heard about but no one had at that time in my play group. We played a bunch of jank decks that were totally awesome. I remember having an awsome Lord of the Pit deck, but not much more to than that.

I bought power in 2001. Played until I got married and had my first child in 2006, where as a lowly E-2 in the Navy, I sold all my cards to furnish our first place.

Got back into the game durring INS/RTR standard, and slowly got into Modern and legacy.
    Bought back into Vintage on-line about a year ago, and am so glad to be back playing vintage.
    (Even though the belcher deck I played back in early 2000's is long dead).

• TMD Supporter

I got into tournament magic playing extended in 6th or 7th grade, and at the time, the duals and force were still legal (as a hold over). When those cards rotated I traded for a set of forces and started playing mono blue control casually, and hanging out outside of the tournamnet scene again, and slowly picking up duals, oaths, survivals to recreate all the tournament decks I loved, while still occasionally playing "new extended". Eventually, I heard about legacy when it still shared a banned list with vintage, and played that extensively and then, at some point heard about a 5 proxy vintage tournament when Control Slaver was the best list. Met all the the team serious guys playing my shitty mono blue control list in vintage and haven't really looked back. I went to school out of state and slowed down magic, but every break was hanging out in cleveland with the Team Serious guys, at Caribou coffee slinging vintage. When I moved back to Ohio in 2010 i finally started picking up power, and playing in all the events.

• TMD Supporter

This thread is great! But I'm amazed at how many lurkers there are on this site, this thread really brings them out. Nice work OP!

• My cousins and I played in Germantown, Wi in 1993 where I bought Arabian for $1.15 a pack. When I came home on leave from Marine Boot Camp I played a ton with my buddy Mike (whom I played with this past weekend). In 94 I deployed to Italy and bought a lot of Italian legends. In 95 I was stationed in Beaufort, SC and got a play group together where I traded a ton and ended up with the moxen and a lotus. deployed on the uss Roosevelt in 96-97 and the uss washinton in 98 where I played magic with the sailors a ton. in 1999 I was stationed in cherry point, NC and played sporadically at the lgs. I stopped playing about 2002, moved to SoCal in 2003 and didn't play again till I got divorced in 2009. in 2010 I deployed to Afghanistan where I arranged a Friday night magic tourney at the USO. We drafted cards I had sent out and the USO provided good prize support. I did the same thing in 2011-12 in Afghanistan. about then I met a few folks at the LGS that wanted to play legacy so I dusted off the old cards and built reanimator. eventually all the locals that had power wanted to sling so now we get together once a month and play old school/vintage. Mike and I went to eternal weekend last year after not playing in a real tourney since 95. The results are funny and on camera.
    I wish I could play online but I cant get myself to buy digital cards.

• @elusive Thats a great story! Is Magic really big in the armed forces or were you fortunate to run into that?

• @p3temangus I'm obviously not a marine corp or anything but during the past few years of professionally selling Magic cards I shipped many orders to different ships and bases all around the world (takes long time till it gets where it should and tracking those shipments is certainly funny). Some people order from me regularly and I always wonder when do those people have the time to actually play Magic. I've been also sending larger quantities of FNM and Prerelease promos (some base in Afghanistan was one of those places) and wondered what someone would actually want to do with that in larger quantities. The thought of someone organizing an event didn't come to my mind...
    The Americans living here that I know all started playing Magic while in the army...(that might be just a coincidence)

@elusive thanks for sharing^_~

• Speaking from experience, when your out on a boat, there is not much to do other than work. Card games like magic are perfect when on deployment. I would imagine deployment to places like Afghanistan would be similar. Magic is a pretty popular game to play in the military, and holding tournaments or prereleases over seas is pretty common I think.

• I started playing Vintage late last year. I have been a huge fan of Dredge, and played it in Modern, and Legacy. But I had never played it in Vintage, largely because I don't really have a Vintage scene near me. Some friends encouraged me to try it, and took me through a couple Daily events on MTGO, and I was hooked. Now I'm making plans to attend my first Eternal Weekend, and I'm so hype!

• @stsung
    The greatest thing you ever saw was a dispute on magic rules in Afghanistan. so.. picture it.. everyone is heavily armed and there's a rules question. We don't have any judges so I just make the call as best I can. The prize support was a half box for the 30 of us so sometimes it got a little heated. Generally everyone was just happy to get to draft and pay a little. I sold the packs for $3 each cash which was near cost with shipping. It also helped the last time that innistrad was awesome to draft.

• @p3temangus I played a great deal while active duty in the USMC. Stationed in Okinawa I found a literal hole in the wall store (about the size of a gas station bathroom). Guy had faded GW models and a ton of cards. I blew many paychecks there buying P9. Later, while stationed in California I used to drive to LA for vintage. This was 2004-2005. I remember psychatog was everywhere. I played Legion Land Loss, maindeck null rods and ravenous baloths. I loved that deck so much.

• So i still don't properly play vintage (i.e fully powered), but hoping to within the next year. I am however, ready for the Eternal Central tournament at Eternal Weekend, and as an added bonus it's in my backyard! I'll take this opportunity to respond with "How did you start playing Magic?", instead...

I started playing Magic at the end of Fallen Empires, and right when Ice Age was being released. I recall the Ice Age shortage the first month the set was released, and being on vacation and asking my dad to find a gaming store where I think I paid either $10 or $12 at the time, for a single pack. I was only 14 years old so that was a pretty big investment for me at the time!!

My fondest memories are of playing big 10 to 12 player games every Saturday morning in a place called L&L Sportscards in Kittanning, PA, about 45 minutes north of Pittsburgh. We'd play from about 10AM to 4PM, order Pizza, just have a great time. A few guys had Moxes and other older cards, but most of us were slinging Ice Age & Mirage & Tempest for those early years.

I've left the game and came back many times over the years, and have just gotten back into it in the past year. It's amazing how long the game has been a part of my life, and I'm glad I now finally have the income that I can more fully enjoy it and play with some of the cards I never had back then.

• In 5th grade my buddy Ben moved to town and brought Magic with him. All the guys in class got into it, and for a few years we all played horrible casual decks in the school library.

In middle school, though, Ben and I got into playing Type 1 at Howie's, the card shop a half hour from our town. I built Sligh and White Weenie, which with 4 Mox Monkey/4 PoP and 4 Disenchent/4 Orim's Chant (respectively) held their own. In retrospect, all the guys with Moxen, Duals, etc must have hated playing against the 13 year old jamming Jackal Pup, but whatever.

I quit in 2004 and came back in 2014. At the time I was living in Cambridge, and Pandemonium was a T stop from my apartment. I found that with 10 proxies, I could build a deck for about $300. Once again, in retrospect I'm sure all the Vintage ethusiasts with real cards must have hated playing against the guy who's new to the format and shows up with, of course, Forgemaster Shops.

• Fortunate enough to have started MTG during Beta, but then unfortunate in terms of having my ridiculously valuable collection stolen a few years later. It was definitely a different game back then. I remember everyone's excitement when Colossus of Sardia came out because 9/9 was suddenly the new 8/8. I also remember the release of Antiquities especially because I traded for all my friends' Moxen and Lotuses to create an Atog deck with all artifact mana. I think at one point I had 30 Moxes and 5 Lotuses. Again, quite a ridiculous collection. Of course, most of us were also playing "house rules" back then, and commonly this included drawing two cards per turn and playing as many lands as you like per turn. This obviously devalued things like Moxen, Lotus, Ancestral, and Library in our circle, so I'd pick up a couple Moxen on trades for something silly like a Lord of the Pit. Ah, the good old days.

WAF/WHF

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.