Dark Petition Storm Sideboarding

I like Chains of Mephistopheles against PO, since they usually don’t have enchantment removal against DPS. Chains shuts down much of their deck. You may need Karakas or Liliana against BW PO because they bring in Kambal.

Against Thalia, I like creatures. Phyrexian Obliterator, for his immunity to Ballista, as the finisher, and a collection of variable underlings such as Pack Rat, Black Knight, and Plague Spitter. This usually catches them off guard.

I haven’t played against the new card , Lavinia, but I would probably cut Dark Petition and go back to Burning Wish.

last edited by desolutionist

@desolutionist
There's got to be something better that black knight?

@john-cox

Nothing that much better than Black Knight, other than Vampire Hexmage which has some other utilities.

Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet is also one of my favs. Thrashing Wumpus a classic.

Dread of Night.

last edited by desolutionist

@desolutionist
You’re encouraging me to bust out some Lake of the Dead... that’s not nice!

last edited by wfain

@john-cox said in Dark Petition Storm Sideboarding:

@desolutionist
There's got to be something better that black knight?

Order of the Ebon Hand? 😉

@desolutionist

I like the chains idea, but can Ritual Storm really afford to have sb slots dedicated to the outcome matchup?

I love Phyrexian Obliterator but since we'd be bringing it in mana denial/sphere matchups, can we reliably pay XBBBB to cast that thing when Ritual is mostly a colored mana fix?
Black knight just isn't good enough and plague spitter doesn't deal with Lavinia without therapy.
Pack rat just doesn't pan out against shops between revokers and Ballistas.
I think the only reliable plan B in the current state of things is Tinker Bot and/or Mentor if you splash white.

I like the Burning wish idea, it's much better than Petition in the face of Lavinia and/or at finding answers to disruption. It also does a better job at abusing broken cards like LED, Demonic Consultation and Gifts Ungiven. But Dark Petition has a lot more raw power and consistency.

Thanks for the many insights everyone. It's been very helpful. I think I've landed on an SB configuration I'm happy with (at least to begin with) but I do have a follow up questions: is it worth bringing Hurkyl's against PO?

@stasis_kismet In my experience, bringing in Hurkyl's has not been worth it because being reactive against PO tends to be a losing plan since they plenty of countermagic. I have found the PO matchup extremely difficult. Grid + discard has been the best plan I have found, but even that is typically not enough. They're just better able to disrupt your gameplan than you're able to disrupt theirs, and they're just about as fast as you are.

last edited by revengeanceful

If you want to beat outcome, you can sideboard Sadistic Sacrament. This card will beat the pants off most outcome lists.

@13nova said in Dark Petition Storm Sideboarding:

If you want to beat outcome, you can sideboard Sadistic Sacrament. This card will beat the pants off most outcome lists.

I always wonder why Cap effects aren't played more often, when there are so many decklists out there that have all of 1-3 win conditions.

Views