Planet Money did a podcast on MTG and it's success as a collectable card game

• In a classic bubble — housing for example, or tech stocks or Beanie Babies — the fun ends in a crash. Things go belly up, and people can lose a lot of money.

The creators of the collectible card game Magic: The Gathering faced such a bubble. The cooler they made their cards, the more the resale value increased — and threatened to send Magic cards the way of the Beanie Baby.

Today on the show: how the folks who made Magic cards came up with a plan. A plan to once and for all conquer the science of bubbles, and make a collectible toy that could live forever.

Music: Grapes's "I dunno" and Jessie J's "Price Tag." Find us: Twitter/ Facebook/ Spotify/ Tumblr.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/03/11/392381112/episode-609-the-curse-of-the-black-lotus

• Administrators

Just listened to this over my lunch break, thanks for the heads up! A little fluffy for seasoned planeswalkers, but pretty neat hearing Skaff talk about the early days, and how the pro tour very likely saved the game from collapsing.

• This is cool and all, but this was posted on The Drain when the piece first came out, about a year ago. :)

• Administrators

@MaximumCDawg ugh, who read THAT old site. It didn't even work on my phone

• That much is true -- this new format is far more smart-phone-friendly than the old.

Which is something I'm noticing is becoming the norm for ALL websites. Big, simple, clean. Pretty, if sometimes not as functional. <_<

• Ha, well I just started listening to PM and I've been going through all the archives.

I will say the site is a million times easier to use on my phone. I miss the information density of the old site, but the new layout makes a lot more sense on mobile.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.