Planet Money did a podcast on MTG and it's success as a collectable card game

In a classic bubble — housing for example, or tech stocks or Beanie Babies — the fun ends in a crash. Things go belly up, and people can lose a lot of money.

The creators of the collectible card game Magic: The Gathering faced such a bubble. The cooler they made their cards, the more the resale value increased — and threatened to send Magic cards the way of the Beanie Baby.

Today on the show: how the folks who made Magic cards came up with a plan. A plan to once and for all conquer the science of bubbles, and make a collectible toy that could live forever.

Music: Grapes's "I dunno" and Jessie J's "Price Tag." Find us: Twitter/ Facebook/ Spotify/ Tumblr.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/03/11/392381112/episode-609-the-curse-of-the-black-lotus

Just listened to this over my lunch break, thanks for the heads up! A little fluffy for seasoned planeswalkers, but pretty neat hearing Skaff talk about the early days, and how the pro tour very likely saved the game from collapsing.

This is cool and all, but this was posted on The Drain when the piece first came out, about a year ago. 🙂

@MaximumCDawg ugh, who read THAT old site. It didn't even work on my phone

That much is true -- this new format is far more smart-phone-friendly than the old.

Which is something I'm noticing is becoming the norm for ALL websites. Big, simple, clean. Pretty, if sometimes not as functional. <_<

Ha, well I just started listening to PM and I've been going through all the archives.

I will say the site is a million times easier to use on my phone. I miss the information density of the old site, but the new layout makes a lot more sense on mobile.

Views