Want a tourney deck that is not budget, but not full power

I have been sitting on a lot of my power now for some time and I came to the realization that they have appreciated to much in value for me to not do anything with them and risk having them get stole or damage or whatever. I really do not like playing blue but I also like playing thinking I have a viable tourney deck that can actually win.

What I would like to do is sell my off color moxen, ancestral, and Timewalk and try and put together a list that can still use lotus and a mox or 2 to correct effect, but would not be underpowered as a result of not having the other power. Full disclosure I just had kids so the money from the sale of the cards is likely going towards diapers.

Here is my criteria for a list

• Non blue except for maybe pitch stuff/MM
  • Only uses a Lotus and up to 2 moxen but that is the optimal setup for the list
  • No Bazaar, library, or tabernacle
  • Ideally does not have any unwinnable matches, Punchers chance in any game
  • Has future growth potential with new releases

I'm trying to figure out what list this is. I keep looking at mono red blood moon lists as all that list seems to want to run is lotus and ruby, but what are some other options? Dredge is out because I sold my Bazaars to get the power some years ago. I seem to remember there being a decent mono black deck when I started playing the format but that was ages ago now, and I have no idea what Eldrazi looks like right now but it feels like they would be sub optimal as long as workshops is a thing.

I await your recos!

Why not sell of all the power, buy Bazaars, and just have Pitch Dredge together?

Short answer is I have it for legacy and didnt want to criss cross, but it is a consideration to be sure. I started vintage with Dredge and I'm not in love with how autopilot some of the matches are, and I don't like how it can literally drop to a tier 3 deck depending on how people decide to sideboard in the meta. Splash hate for Survival and possible Phoenix builds literally drop dredge percentages more than I like.

As much as the London Mulligan is going to give it a percent or 2 boost to hit bazaar every game, I actually suspect it will help other decks hate it out even more. It not only helps decks find leyline and Relic/cage faster, the reduced hand size can actually be a huge boon to a deck like Blood Moon who can get hellbent easier for ensnaring bridge.

Some type of White, GW, or Junk Hatebears comes to mind. Otherwise Moon Stompy (which you mentioned) sounds right.

Jund is a decent answer. @ChubbyRain has a good list.

Jund is a good answer. I think Jet/Ruby/Emerald might actually be better than Lotus + any 2 moxes.

You could also do 2 moxes and one spirit guide if you really wanted a lotus. Spirit guide isn't terrible since you play null rod and (my list has) chalice.

Views