London Mulligan Coming to MTGO

I haven't been following the MTGO results, but a quick look at Saturday's Vintage Challenge shows only 2/32 dredge decks, neither in the top 8. What is the experience of people who have been testing the new mulligan on MTGO? Was the fear of Bazaar dominance overblown? What have been the other impacts?

@evouga saturday was under the current mulligan, not the london.

@evouga said in London Mulligan Coming to MTGO:

been following the MTGO results, but a quick look at Saturday's Vintage Challenge shows only 2/32 dredge decks, neither in the top 8

You mean this Saturday? Because now we're playing Vancouver Mulligan on MTGO.

@evouga said in London Mulligan Coming to MTGO:

I haven't been following the MTGO results, but a quick look at Saturday's Vintage Challenge shows only 2/32 dredge decks, neither in the top 8. What is the experience of people who have been testing the new mulligan on MTGO? Was the fear of Bazaar dominance overblown? What have been the other impacts?

Opinions are mixed. I think it does the job of making games nicer by making mana screw less common, but it also definitely does influence deck design for better or worse. Dredge did see an uptick in play but did not take over the format. The biggest impact was probably on PO, which @ChubbyRain did a lot of work rebuilding to abuse the combination of the new mulligan rule and various draw-sevens (scroll up for more information on that).

There is 3 relevant challenges, and in the last one WAR is legal. April 13, April 20 and April 27.

last edited by Cuikui

Outcome felt like it got the most significant boost. The whole format is going to be different in a few weeks anyway though due to the printings of Karn/Narset followed so closely by a whole new set full of artifact hate+other random stuff.

@vaughnbros and M20 will be out concurrently with the rule change

Just to be clear, since I play a lot of other formats, I think this change is 100% correct for limited and standard, and while I'm not sold on it being needed in Modern or Legacy I don't think it hurts too much there.

In vintage I see this as potentially a huge mistake, but at the least a huge change to the way people build lists.

@thecravenone said in London Mulligan Coming to MTGO:

@smmenen said in London Mulligan Coming to MTGO:

That's pretty insane. It also means it's really incumbent on Vintage players on MTGO to try to make the case, one way or the other. Dredgeapolooza.

Given my experience with WotC, this would be a lost cause. Play how you will but trying to make your case is tilting at windmills. Step outside and, if you're not in the Houston area, take a deep breath. Enjoy things that aren't Magic for a moment.

This made me lol; then 😞

I'm avoiding being outside during the day here in SA ,unless really necessary.

Ultimately I'm not particularly thrilled with this decision. I generally don't favor format changes that amplify the effects of the die-roll, which I believe the London Mulligan does. I'm further concerned that WAR has already pushed Vintage into a more die-roll dependent metagame, as Karn and Narset have become ubiquitous.

I also don't think the results of the London Mulligan "experiment" are particularly informative about the correctness of this decision. Factors that impact the metagame in a large way often take much more than three weeks to manifest. Remember how long it took for Mentor to rise to prominence?

Anyway, I do hope I'm wrong, and that this results in positive changes for the format.

(Also, testing for my first N.Y.S.E just got a lot more challenging...)

Views