Optimal number of City of Traitors

Specifically in mono red bloodmoon. I see a lot of lists that run 4 (when I do see lists) but historically I remember seeing decks with 2-3. The cards does have quite the drawback if your opponent takes you off moon or sun, so I am wondering what the general consensus is before I run out and get extra copies I cannot afford.

Similar to legendaries 3 is the optimal number from a not getting duplicate copies standpoint, but if your goal is maximize Turn 1 Moon / Rod, I’d play 4. You can also always start with 3 and then get the 4th later...

@vaughnbros said in Optimal number of City of Traitors:

Similar to legendaries 3 is the optimal number from a not getting duplicate copies standpoint, but if your goal is maximize Turn 1 Moon / Rod, I’d play 4. You can also always start with 3 and then get the 4th later...

I think the nuance here is that with legendary cards you are talking about copies 1-4, where as with City you also have Tomb. There are not too many legendary cards that overlap in intended function as these 2 do.

What the deck is seeking to do is maximize turn 1 Sol land or when you consider SSG, lotus, Petal, and Moxen, turn one action. If I were to build the deck one card at a time I would likely start with one tomb, then one City, then one Tomb, so on and so forth.

I guess this is just more a question of figuring out what the probabilities for a keepable opening hand look like with these configurations:

4 tomb, 4 City, Mox, Lotus, Petal, 4 SSG, 4 blood moon, 4 magus of the moon, 4 Null rod, 1 Trinisphere, 1 Cotv, lets say 9 mountains (15 accelerators, 14 lock )

4 tomb, 3 City, Mox, Lotus, Petal, 4 SSG, 4 blood moon, 4 magus of the moon, 4 Null rod, 1 Trinisphere, 1 Cotv, , lets say 9 mountains, +1 lock piece like Blood Sun (14 accelerators, 15 lock )

4 tomb, 3 City, Mox, Lotus, Petal, 4 SSG, 4 blood moon, 4 magus of the moon, 4 Null rod, 1 Trinisphere, 1 Cotv, lets say 9 mountains, +1 Basic land or strip mine (14 accelerators, 15 lock )

Math.

I mean, your deck will have more than 29 cards in it. I think if you can do the math, and make a decision once you get closer to 60 cards as to what is a keep-able and non-keep-able hands.

Views