WAR-Planeswalker Card Discussion

I wanted to highlight and start some discussion regarding some of the new cards spoiled today in WAR.
This is a link to some of the more interesting cards spoiled today: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/b7r5u4/potential_spoilers_for_war/

In the comments there are people typing out what they think the cards will be.

I believe that of the cards spoiled above their are two that are potentially interesting to Vintage.
Teferi, Time Raveler (1)WU (Starting loyalty 4)
Each opponent can cast spells only at any time they could cast a sorcery
+1 Until your next turn, cast sorceries as if they had flash
-3 Return up to one target artifact, creature or enchantment to its owner's hand, draw a card.

This card seems really good in Xerox or blue mirrors and can provide some incredible tempo advantages or strategic advantages if needed. The plus allows you to surprise or overpower your opponent with some optimally timed instant-speed sorcery. The minus can allow you to temporarily get rid of any non-land or planes-walker permanent, potentially providing you with a huge tempo boost or open up the window to execute a large strategic objective. Additionally the passive ability seems ridiculous at being able to protect your spells from resolving. I estimate that this may be what people wanted Lavinia to be and will likely be adopted by all UWx decks. PO and Jeskai Xerox both seem like the decks that can use this card best in the current metagame.

Karn, the Great Creator (4) (Starting loyalty 5)
Artifact abilities of artifacts your opponents control can't be activated
+1 Until your next turn, up to one target noncreature artifact become an artifact with power and toughness equal to the amount of artifacts equal to their converted mana cost
-2 You may choose an artifact card you own from outside the game or in exile, reveal that card and add it to your hand
This card seems much harder to evaluate than Teferi. While he is a Nullrod that does something the somethings it does are not particularly amazing. I could see the minus being of use in game 1 against something like Dredge to get a Crypt or Cage. The plus could be interesting since it allows you to blow up one of your opponents moxen each turn, just like the original Karn did.

Finally there is one more card that I think may be worth discussing:
https://old.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/b7ouk6/war_tezzeret_master_of_the_bridge/
Now, I think this card is a little to expensive to be seriously played in Vintage at (4)UB but some of the text is very interesting. The passive ability for this planes-walker is rather interesting, but it does not seem to slot into any current shell for Vintage. I think this would be played in some sort of PO build, as the plus can be an extremely quick clock and alternate win-condition. The minus 3 seems a little lackluster, but could excellent for returning Lotus for extra mana, or returning some part of the Time-Vault combo, allowing you to execute it after a part of it being countered or destroyed. The minus 8 will likely never be done in Vintage unless the player knows that Blightsteel or some other Tinker target is in the top 10 cards.

What are your guys' thoughts? I am excited for the new possibilities all new cards and sets provide and hope that we get at least a few Vintage playable cards!

Wow, a one-sided Null Rod for shops/eldrazi, thanks dudes.

@craw_advantage I think that while a one-sided Nullrod is good, Eldrazi will have a hard time getting it out. I wonder if some form of Blue Stax will pop up from it or if it will be played as a PO mirror-breaker.

Karn is super interesting to me, tbh. Can't wait to see how that pans out.

That Karn is probably the worst Karn and looking at the Teferi and the Jace and Bolas I'm shocked Karn was even noticed.

@protoaddct said in WAR-Planeswalker Card Discussion:

I'm shocked Karn was even noticed.

@Protoaddct What do you like about Bolas and Jace? They both seem meh to me.

last edited by Rat3dE

@rat3de said in WAR-Planeswalker Card Discussion:

@protoaddct said in WAR-Planeswalker Card Discussion:

I'm shocked Karn was even noticed.

@Protoaddct What do you like about Bolas and Jace? They both seem meh to me.

Jace combines a few niche but strong cards (Lab Maniac, thought scour, and just a solid draw 7 ability) into one card that represents something that has not existed before. He is also a counter / Protection from JTMS ultimate wins against you, and there is probably a combo with him and arena rector I have not thought about yet. He is at least novel and does so while still providing pure CA.

Bolas also represents something that has not existed before. Since he has every walker ability, he in effect lets you have 2 jaces on the field, 2 teferis, etc. I don't know if that is good enough when combined with his other abilities or if they are even relevant, but just a clone walker is new and potentially strong

Jace is blue heavy, so I see him in a mana drain shell. Max counters, drain, leveler, +1 jace = gg

Jace is better than Lab Maniac in play, since you don't need a cantrip to win and he doesn't die to Bolt like Maniac. But can you even get him into play in a Doomsday shell? Seems hard but I may be wrong.

Now Karn seems pretty good. One sided Null Rod that gets Cage and Crypt from the SB? Kinda slow, sure, but not that bad. PO can play a one-sided Null Rod now, for the mirror.

This Teferi seems pretty broken. He's a better, on color, Grand Abolisher that also doubles as removal or as a "Repeal" on your Mox. Seems pretty good (but probably not Dack Fayden good).

last edited by fsecco

@fsecco said in WAR-Planeswalker Card Discussion:

This Teferi seems pretty broken. He's a better, on color, Grand Abolisher that also doubles as removal or as a "Repeal" on your Mox. Seems pretty good (but probably not Dack Fayden good).

I can think of quite a few places where you would rather have this Teferi than Dack. I can also think of quite a few places where you would rather have one of each instead of a backup of just one.

Dack will remain the go to for dealing with shops, and both are basically useless against dredge, but the first Teferi feels so much better against xerox and PO to me.

@rat3de im definitely running at least 2 of these Karn in my Colorless Eldrazi. Making it virtually 6 null rod main is sweet. Then again, I also run a single Inspiring Statuary in there, lol.

maybe too cute and rather bad because hard to pull of in a world of spheres (and misstep), but the new jace + demonic consultation could be a nice option in maybe a fair xeroxy shell: both combo pieces aren't that bad on its own, and jace - once it hits the battlefield - is rather hard to remove, fuels delve, provides card advantage and a probably game winning ultimate by itself.

Teferi seems nuts, though maybe the +1 ability is too situational?

last edited by mountain-goat

@mountain-goat said in WAR-Planeswalker Card Discussion:

Teferi seems nuts, though maybe the +1 ability is too situational?

It's not, I guess. Being able to leave mana open for Fluster and Preordain eot if nothing happens seems pretty cool. Same with Tinker or Time Walk or Treasure Cruise - but yeah, it's not useful 100% of the turns like Dack's +1 is.

Thing is your eot Tinker will be uncounterable and the Blightsteel you get will be unbounceable (since they can't play bounce spells as instants anymore).

Views