[WAR] Tomik, Distinguished Advokist

0_1554477282324_843ffc02-2405-4708-b7d2-7530eba0a20b-image.png

This is a strange one but seems like a must include for Mono white humans/hatebears to me

2/3 flying for 2 is already a decent rate
Prevents your lands from being Wasted or Stripped
Prevents your opponent from using Crucible/Life from the loam
Can be protected with Karakas which is in turn protected by it

I mean a lot of this is incidental / splash hate but being a 2/3 flyer for 2 in a thalia list is already probably just playable as a 1 of at least.

Prevents Deathrite Shaman from using its mana ability.

Also, Tomik is a one-sided effect and can fit well into mana denial deck with Ghostly Prison.

last edited by Chronatog

How often is crucible really played, and how relevant are these effects to a deck like Hate Bears/Humans?

A 2/3 flying body for 2 is surprisingly relevant to them.

Deathrite is plenty played. Protecting cavern from Stripmine is plenty important.

The other cards mentioned are rarely played but there is very little opportunity cost to include a copy of this guy with all other things considered.

Not the best time to be a legendary creature with all the Karakas’s floating around. This still can be bounced by your opponents Karakas.

This does stop the value-Will replay land drop from the graveyard. Also this laughs at the Depths/Stage combo.

I will have to test to see if this is good in a White Eldrazi list. I might have to add Lotus Petal instead of Mox Sapphire.

I play nothing but white based hatebears, and this is certainly not what you want to be doing. The effect is way too narrow and nowhere near powerful enough.

This is at best a sideboard card, and probably only if you plan on facing a lot of creature decks.

Also - to my very great sadface - this stops the dark depths/thespian stage/hexmage combo cold. 😞 Can't target depths with stage or hexmage. Stage becomes total garbage as it can't even target a colored land for mana. Awful times for Marit Lage.

someone in wizards R&D keeps losing to legacy lands on their mtgo alt

Unless Vintage changes dramatically, this card will not see play.

It’s place is in legacy, where it is very good as a 1 of in d&t. Obviously helps vs lands and dark depths matchups, but also great in the mirror match and at worst trades with a delver.

@blindtherapy said in [WAR] Tomik, Distinguished Advokist:

someone in wizards R&D keeps losing to legacy lands on their mtgo alt

LOL. It's pretty funny how in-your-face nakedly against Lands this card is.

I don't think it's too relevant in Vintage at the moment but one day, something could happen that makes this a relevant sideboard card.

@brianpk80 said in [WAR] Tomik, Distinguished Advokist:

LOL. It's pretty funny how in-your-face nakedly against Lands this card is.

It's even 2/3 so it doesn't die to Punishing Fire hahahaha

I sense a lands matter in the upcoming set. Wotc have been printing cards that will be relevant in standard, a set or two ahead.

I likes me a hate bear any day. In vintage though, today is not this guys day.

I think this guy is a fantastic role-player, actually. I think he'll find a home in an aggressive 5-C Human deck because that deck HIGHLY values its rainbow lands and cannot really afford to have them wasted early. This guy will prevent that vs. decks like Eldrazi and shops. I see very little issue with running 1x Maindeck and would likely try 1 more in the sb.

How much early-Wastelanding is this guy going to stop, though, at the WW price point?

@evouga said in [WAR] Tomik, Distinguished Advokist:

How much early-Wastelanding is this guy going to stop, though, at the WW price point?

That is a good point. The only reason I mentioned 5-C Humans as a possible application is because that deck doesn't get to run a fetchland manabase and thus suffers from a highly wasteable manabase.

@ten-ten I don’t think this implies anything for the next sets. WotC have said that this is a WW 2/3 flier because of Standard and the rest of the text is for Legacy.

I like how this stops your opponent from pumping their own mishra's factories.

Just throwing that out there. I don't believe it will be enough to see vintage play.

I find the flavour of this card Ironic. An advocate as a Hate Bear.

last edited by John Cox

This should have also been written to prevent lands from drawing cards.

Views