[WAR] Tomik, Distinguished Advokist

This is at best a sideboard card, and probably only if you plan on facing a lot of creature decks.

Also - to my very great sadface - this stops the dark depths/thespian stage/hexmage combo cold. 😞 Can't target depths with stage or hexmage. Stage becomes total garbage as it can't even target a colored land for mana. Awful times for Marit Lage.

someone in wizards R&D keeps losing to legacy lands on their mtgo alt

Unless Vintage changes dramatically, this card will not see play.

It’s place is in legacy, where it is very good as a 1 of in d&t. Obviously helps vs lands and dark depths matchups, but also great in the mirror match and at worst trades with a delver.

@blindtherapy said in [WAR] Tomik, Distinguished Advokist:

someone in wizards R&D keeps losing to legacy lands on their mtgo alt

LOL. It's pretty funny how in-your-face nakedly against Lands this card is.

I don't think it's too relevant in Vintage at the moment but one day, something could happen that makes this a relevant sideboard card.

@brianpk80 said in [WAR] Tomik, Distinguished Advokist:

LOL. It's pretty funny how in-your-face nakedly against Lands this card is.

It's even 2/3 so it doesn't die to Punishing Fire hahahaha

I sense a lands matter in the upcoming set. Wotc have been printing cards that will be relevant in standard, a set or two ahead.

I likes me a hate bear any day. In vintage though, today is not this guys day.

I think this guy is a fantastic role-player, actually. I think he'll find a home in an aggressive 5-C Human deck because that deck HIGHLY values its rainbow lands and cannot really afford to have them wasted early. This guy will prevent that vs. decks like Eldrazi and shops. I see very little issue with running 1x Maindeck and would likely try 1 more in the sb.

How much early-Wastelanding is this guy going to stop, though, at the WW price point?

@evouga said in [WAR] Tomik, Distinguished Advokist:

How much early-Wastelanding is this guy going to stop, though, at the WW price point?

That is a good point. The only reason I mentioned 5-C Humans as a possible application is because that deck doesn't get to run a fetchland manabase and thus suffers from a highly wasteable manabase.

@ten-ten I don’t think this implies anything for the next sets. WotC have said that this is a WW 2/3 flier because of Standard and the rest of the text is for Legacy.

I like how this stops your opponent from pumping their own mishra's factories.

Just throwing that out there. I don't believe it will be enough to see vintage play.

I find the flavour of this card Ironic. An advocate as a Hate Bear.

last edited by John Cox

This should have also been written to prevent lands from drawing cards.

@joep said in [WAR] Tomik, Distinguished Advokist:

I like how this stops your opponent from pumping their own mishra's factories.

Just throwing that out there. I don't believe it will be enough to see vintage play.

It also stop Ravager shenanigans with your factories.

last edited by Khahan
    Views