Kaya reminds me of Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, which is a card that I feel should probably merit more play.

They both have a game winning ultimate that are based on things you are already doing, is powered up by one of their other abilities, are cheapish, and power up very quickly. I know that is about the only similarity, but still there is something about it. To me the big difference is that Tezz can get to ultimate off 1 activation with a timewalk, and the things you do to power it up are contingent on how you build your deck, not things your opponent is doing.

Updates: I've gone a combined 13-2 with Junk (Azban) Kaya, including a trophy.

I've tried an Esper Xerox version and it's been much more variable. The first try was a 1-3 drop. The second is currently 3-1. Same list - I've just drawn answers at the right times and my opponent's have had fewer nut draws. 🤷

Your moment of Kaya zen:
0_1554782289462_131ed51a-d653-4ad2-af35-5a4505733143-image.png

Edit: the number of cards exiled is 15, if that is not clear.

last edited by Guest

We will see if people pick it up with the dawn of Dredge about to start tomorrow, but my gut says that this needs a little too much support to win a game 1 against Dredge and I think in most matchups I'd rather have different card for games 2/3.

@vaughnbros said in [RNA] Kaya, Orzhov Usurper:

We will see if people pick it up with the dawn of Dredge about to start tomorrow, but my gut says that this needs a little too much support to win a game 1 against Dredge and I think in most matchups I'd rather have different card for games 2/3.

Games 2/3 this is your wincon against dredge that has synergy with dredge hate. You can +1 her on an empty GY. If you have no other hate, she can target the peskiest cards. Or you can just drop tormod's crypt, exile the yard and win. I think the colors means she needs a different than we normally see (in paper at least) but if you happen to be in these colors I see no reason not to include her in your 75 against dredge.

@khahan

Yes, but the problem is I don’t really want it in any other game 2/3 MU, and this is a well below par Dredge hate card as they can still fairly easily win through sorcery speed exile 2. This means that I think it’s suboptimal in all game 2/3s.

I mentioned that I've won several game 1's against Dredge, literally in the first post.

Edit:

I give up. This isn't productive and I don't care any more. If people are interested in the card or list or any other card or list, please message me.

last edited by Guest

@chubbyrain

Wasteland* won you game 1s.

@khahan

Yes, but the problem is I don’t really want it in any other game 2/3 MU, and this is a well below par Dredge hate card as they can still fairly easily win through sorcery speed exile 2. This means that I think it’s suboptimal in all game 2/3s.

You dont want it against xerox which is pitching cards to fow and exiling 6 and 8 cards at a time to delve plus whatever cards you exiled w/ her + ability?

I guess no matter what you have your mind made up. Meanwhile the rest of us will play test with it. We may come to same conclusion, yes. But we may not. I just dont understand the complete lack of desire to even try given the potential of this card. If its in my main I side it out against shops and probably oath. Against any other deck I see in my meta, this card offers quite a bit.

@khahan

I haven’t made my mind up. I wrote that in my first post. I said that this next month is a test (since dredge will be played more). Perhaps it provides enough utility in game 1 across all matchups that being suboptimal in them game 2/3s doesn’t matter.

Why do you think what is essentially a burn spell fused with GY hate is a great against big blue? More specifically, why is this better than other 3 mana options (to which there will be a lot with new spoilers)?

Does this need to full support of Wasteland, DRS, Tarmogoyf, etc. build to be a playable card? Or are there other decks that it is good in?

If we aren’t going to honest about evaluating the card then there isn’t anything to discuss though. If you are wastelanding Bazaars that is what is winning you game 1s. If this card needs a very specific decklist and Matt Murray piloting it to get results then I’m not sure that really points to the individual card as being great.

Views