Eternal masters roughly one month away, where's the hype (and further spoilers)?

I'm anticipating really 1 chase card in each color, with Lands (2) and Gold Cards (0) being the exception.

Red: Imperial Recruiter
Blue: Force of Will
Green: Sylvan Library
White: Elspeth, Knight Errant
Black: Vampiric Tutor
Artifact: Crucible of Worlds
Land: Wasteland, Karakas

Support Cards: I expect Enlightened Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Worldly Tutor as well. I'd expect Support cards like Containment Priest and other good cards from Limited sets like True-Name Nemesis and Flusterstorm.

Expect a LOT of cards that are flavorful, but probably awful. I'd say things like Verdant Force, Regrowth, Aven Mindscensor, and Gamble.

I'd expect Mana Vault but not Mana Crypt. I'd also expect very few cards from Portal that are 'hot'. Sea Drake could see a reprint, but I doubt Imperial Seal will.

I expect to see a cycle of reprint-eligible cards at mythic for draft purposes. Someone else mentioned the Elder Dragons, and I can definitely see that.

I expect to see Tron at rare or maybe uncommon, and I expect to see High Tide reprinted. For draft purposes, they may even reprint storm cards: Tendrils of Agony, Mind's Desire, Sins of the Past, etc.

Expect a bunch of big dumb artifacts too: Triskelion, Wurmcoil Engine, etc.

@joshuabrooks said:

I think it's cool that some of the old cards might see reprints (berserk, force, karakas, drain, etc), but will that really help the supply side? Won't these mythics still pull $60-100 even in a reprint state? Great for excitement, but I don't think it will do much to ease prices. At least the mythics slot in a low distribution set.

Heck, some of the mythics might be worth more than the originals!

Very exciting set to talk about though. I'm jazzed!

They way wizards is doing this set, I honestly think this will only drive prices on these cards up. A) it will re-raise awareness of the cards and B) the supply will not be enough to satisfy the demand.

Wizards has to know that this a) generates some money for them b) generates money for shops c) is exciting for players and collectors and d) is frustrating for players and collectors.

Knowing that dealers are simply going to be price gouging the packs from day 1 because they can and because of the way Wizards has these sets set up is frustratingly expensive for an already expensive hobby. I was excited for this but reading stories of gouged prices before the product is even available makes me want to have nothing to do with this.

I should propably sell my Daze playset at modo, though the price is already dropped from 30 to 16 tix...

Really looking forward the set. VMA and both MMA's have been fun to draft for a few times. I also liked Tempest Remastered, so there might be something wrong with me 😄

@Soly

elspeth has already been reprinted and has a dual deck. She won't be in this set.

But I like where your head is at. The set will probably be hugely disappointing. They will probably assume Force of Will, Wasteland, and Imperial Recruiter will be enough to sell packs and put garbage in the rest of it.

last edited by gkraigher

Honestly, the only other big want I have is a flusterstorm reprint at rare.

I'm really hoping for a mayor of arvorbuck reprint,

Grim Tutor would be nice. There is currently no black-bordered version in existence!

It wouldve been nice of them to print the set in pre 8ed frames. Just sayin, being eternal masters and all.

@Ten-Ten No. I want modern frames.

Ask @IronChef to verify this: At Eternal WEekend, I had 2 Speed V. Cunning Impulse. I also had about 19 Visions Impulses. I upped my Impulse count to 3, so I gave him $5.00 to open a Speed V. Cunning deck and give me the Impulse from it so I could have a 3rd Ugly one.

I try to play new Frames whenever possible (Unless the art is AIDS) because I find it hilarious to see the disgusting face on purists like @Prospero ! 🙂

@gkraigher I suspect the best use for EMA will be flipping sealed boxes while hype is high, or just tossing them in a closet until 2020.

Some men just want to watch the world burn, Soly.

@Soly I picked up Doomsday because it contained the most naturally white-bordered cards of any optimally-built deck.

@mickey.nobilis

Brainstorm (5th)
Duress (7th)
Doomsday (6th)
Mystical + Vamp (6th)
Duals (revised)
Basics (PLEASE tell me P3K English, or something terrible like 9th ed)
fastbond (revised)
Power (UL)
Demonic (Revised)
Hurkyls (5th)
Merchant Scroll (8th)
Pyroclasm (7th)
Ritual (5th)

Oh man. that IS A lot. Hmm. I might need to do an Eraser-Edition Doomsday deck.

@gkraigher I'm pretty sure this will be known as eternal letdown.

I'm sure I'm not alone here, but the Eternal Masters release doesn't have any personal effect on me whatsoever.

In basically every instance, I have the cards I need to play, but even if I didn't, I would never choose to obtain the version being printed in Eternal Masters. Not only will mostly every classic reprint come with a new and unidentifiable illustration, but they will also be printed with the new frame, new font, and snazzy hologram. No thanks.

With all of that said, however, I'm still sincerely excited to see what Eternal Masters brings to the table: for my own curiosity, an overall historical intrigue, and to hopefully help out players still looking to pick up essential cards. The question I wonder, though, is whether Eternal Masters will actually be a real help for people to obtain desirable cards such as (potentially) Karakas or Mana Drain.

In all likelihood, Wizards of the Coast will probably make the mistake of upgrading the rarity on nearly every critical card. I've written about this before in great detail, but I still feel like it wasn't tasteful to upgrade the rarity of cards like Dark Confidant, Vendilion Clique, and Tarmogoyf. Combine this issue with the small print run and overpriced MSRP. None of this is helping the players. I'll give Wizards of the Coast some credit, though; I was pleasantly surprised to see Wasteland printed at rare and not mythic rare. That's a great call; a real "for the players" action. With Wasteland being a Vintage, Legacy, and Commander staple, it's a card that most players need to own.

@gkraigher said:

They will probably assume Force of Will, Wasteland, and Imperial Recruiter will be enough to sell packs and put garbage in the rest of it.

I agree. On the back of Force of Will and Wasteland alone, Wizards of the Coast probably figures that those inclusions are more than sufficient enough to sell a ludicrous amount of booster packs. I don't disagree. With Force of Will and Wasteland in the set, I assume that it'll become less likely that players will see the addition of other top tier cards such as Imperial Seal, Mana Drain, and Mana Crypt this time around.

Even still, how much has Modern Masters really helped with the supply of staple cards? It'd be silly to say that sets like this haven't helped at all, but at the same time, the cards are still very rare and, if I recall correctly, prices didn't drop much. If a price dipped, it was often due to playability and relevance, not due to scarcity becoming a non-issue. I'm sure there is some real data out there that proves how Modern Masters helped or didn't help with card pricing, but I'm just speaking from a casual perspective.

I don't think that sets like this really do enough to help the overall player base, but I think that they certainly do something. Either way, I am hopeful that Eternal Masters will create more opportunities for players to own important cards, and most importantly, help to create new interest in paper Vintage.

last edited by Greg

The only thing I think is that they wouldn't put all their eggs in one basket with regards to Force of Will and Wasteland. They will have at least 5 other chase cards (not necessarily EXPENSIVE cards in the financial sense; a card like the Zendikar Fetchlands would potentially tank, and they're not super-expensive relative to the format anyway). They want to increase hype during spoiler season, not decrease.

Most likely cards from Futuresight will see print in Eternal Masters.
Such as:
Aven mindcensor
Tarmogoyf
Horizon Canopy
Anything Delve.
Even the Legends with Grandeur.

I feel this set might end up feeling like Timespiral but with mostly older cards? If that makes sense, lol.

Also either JTMS or JVP, not both.

last edited by Ten-Ten

@Greg Upon the release of the Modern Masters sets prices decreased significantly across the board while packs were still sold for close to MSRP. However, once the fresh supply dried up, the prices of tournement staples steadily increased back to about their pre Modern Masters levels. The casual/chaff cards faired much poorer. I've heard rumors that production of Eternal Masters will be more in line with the original Modern Masters, if so, I suspect prices will behave similarly.

I am very happy that Wizards has created these Masters sets as its a fairly predictable method for them to release a chunk of needed reprints annually without having to give consideration to Standard. While I can understand some of the frustration of increasing rarity for some of the staple cards, I think its Wizards acknowledgement of the secondary market and a desire to avoid a Chroncles like issue that drives it. There would be significant backlash if Force of Will and Wasteland were reprinted at their original rarity, as those cards were recently selling for nearly $100 and would have tanked completely if reprinted at Uncommon.

@Greg Oh yea, that art by Terese is completely unidentifiable. And goodness, look how bad the wasteland art is! such abstraction! C'mon, these artists are great & deserve respect, whether you like their style or not.

Also, a number of things:

• Force has art by Terese, explicitly directed to show a woman of color. Fuck yea women of color being represented in Magic. I would actively choose this art over anything else.
  • The hologram is probably going to have it's own value, as fakes get better and better.
  • Nearly everything printed at rare in MM saw a significant hit in price, even if only for a period of time. I'd also offer that Bob pretty much tanked. Some unjustifiably expensive cards tanked completely.

@OurLadyInRed said:

@Greg Oh yea, that art by Terese is completely unidentifiable. And goodness, look how bad the wasteland art is! such abstraction! C'mon, these artists are great & deserve respect, whether you like their style or not.

Also, a number of things:

• Force has art by Terese, explicitly directed to show a woman of color. Fuck yea women of color being represented in Magic. I would actively choose this art over anything else.
  • The hologram is probably going to have it's own value, as fakes get better and better.
  • Nearly everything printed at rare in MM saw a significant hit in price, even if only for a period of time. I'd also offer that Bob pretty much tanked. Some unjustifiably expensive cards tanked completely.

Im with Greg on this one. My interest in Eternal Masters is limited to drafting it and the impact it can have on the price of original prints. Theres only one original, and thats where its at.

I wouldnt worry about fakes until they start making stuff that can beat the UV test. A $5 light tells the tale.

Its not like this is the first time women of color have been on Magic cards either.

Views