new to vintage

• hello

i am new to vintage and i was thinking in buying in a deck for mtgo, since the prices are to high for me i was looking for a cheap one

i found dredge and was looking for a good list and an explenation on how to play sideboar etc...

someone recomend this site to me, can someone help me?:D

thank you

• Hey @88_link , welcome to the best format in the universe! So nice to have you. If you're looking for dredge play... I have no idea. BUT, we have some resident experts. @ajfirecracker is good and has produced some really good vids on youtube... this should get you started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfVuEiduCTU

Another great dredge player is Sullivan Brophy. You can google him... but here's a sweet win of his in the Mana Drain League. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr6hHHMknHI

Hope that helps.

• I'm going to assume you want to play traditional Dredge because transformational Dredge is a lot more expensive.

Required pieces:
    4 Bazaar of Baghdad
    4 Serum Powder
    4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    1-4 Golgari Thug
    4 Bridge from Below
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Narcomoeba
    3-4 Bloodghast
    1-2 Dakmor Salvage
    7-8 Rainbow lands (Undiscovered Paradise, Mana Confluence, City of Brass)
    There's other cards that you may choose to add, such as Riftstone Portal (as a 1-of), Library of Alexandria, and Petrified Field. Petrified Field is excellent Wasteland protection and you should fit as many as you can into your deck. My current build only has two because Shops is so down recently, but if I were to face a lot more Wastelands, then I would go to 3 or 4.

Build dependent:
    2-4 Ichorid
    2-3 Dread Return
    1 Dragonlord Kolaghan OR Flame-Kin Zealot
    0-3 Sun Titan
    0-3 Fatestitcher
    0-1 other DR target (optional; you can have main deck Elesh Norn or Ashen Rider for toolbox options, if you wish)

*note about build dependent section: Generally you choose how heavily you want to invest in combo. Heavy combo versions might have only 2 Ichorid, or sometimes even less, and sacrifice some other slots for cards like Sun Titan and Fatestitcher for speed; less heavy combo versions might have 3-4 Ichorid and only 2 Dread Return and DK or FKZ, and possibly one more toolbox Dredger. Less combo versions make more room for disruption cards.

Disruption package:
    4-8 Disruption cards (Leyline of the Void, Unmask, Mental Misstep, other)
    Remember you're still using 4 Cabal Therapy no matter what

Sideboard:
    Dedicated to anti-hate cards. You want to be able to answer opposing Artifacts, Enchantments, and Creatures. Common selections include Nature's Claim, Ingot Chewer, Wispmare, Serenity, Barbarian Ring, Cabal Pit; there's many other options out there. Using Serenity, Ingot Chewer, and Wispmare instead of Nature's Claim allows you to dodge opposing Mental Missteps, which is very useful. I know Mr. Brophy advocates skipping Nature's Claim. Note that you could choose to transform instead of fight their hate, but such a build is more expensive, hence my assumption that you're going to fight their hate.

If you're interested in budget, you may want to use City of Brass over Undiscovered Paradise, as that can save you almost 100 dollars. Also, Unmask and Serenity are very expensive, if that tips your decision.

• @DeaTh-ShiNoBi Shoot... sorry to forget the Skull Ninja himself... my bad.

• My current Dredge build is as follows:

Engine (18)
    4 Bazaar of Baghdad
    4 Serum Powder
    4 Golgari Grave-Troll
    4 Stinkweed Imp
    2 Golgari Thug

Free Creatures (11)
    4 Narcomoeba
    4 Bloodghast
    3 Ichorid

Combo (7)
    4 Bridge from Below
    2 Dread Return
    1 Dragonlord Kolaghan

Disruption (12)
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Mental Misstep

Land (12)
    4 Undiscovered Paradise
    4 Mana Confluence
    2 Petrified Field
    2 Dakmor Salvage

Sideboard (15)
    4 Barbarian Ring
    4 Nature's Claim
    4 Ingot Chewer
    3 Wispmare

I would probably use Serenity instead of Nature's Claim if I could afford it, but Nature's Claim plus my own Missteps are serving me well enough. If you drop the Undiscovered Paradise for City of Brass, you'd probably be about as budget as possible while still having a competitive list.

• Administrators

Is there no Dredge primer on the new boards, yet? (hint hint)

• @Brass-Man I might just start working on one as soon as I have the time.

• @DeaTh-ShiNoBi Hi, if you are considering penning a Dredge primer please let me know if this stranger on the internet can help in some way. I started a Dredge thread here but never added to it for fear of writing incorrect information.

• @Topical_Island
    thank you very much, i am watching so i can learn :D i will try to understand what to name and what to play around

• @DeaTh-ShiNoBi

thank you for the tips, i am trying to build around your list, but i am for sure try to fit library of alexandria and strip mine, just for fun, i will post here later what i come up with

yeah serenity are stupid expensive online

@Brass Man yeah it would be wonderfull if someone would do one :D

• @DeaTh-ShiNoBi

so i am ussing your list less 2 mental missteps and plus strip mine and library, strip mine did not performe well until now, but library have won me a game :D

but i think i would like to have a reanimate target like elesh norn

just a question, can leyline of the void save the bridges?

thanks

• @88_link If you mean, does leyline protect bridges by preventing your opponents creatures from going to the graveyard and removing your bridge... yes. If your opponents creature dies, with your leyline in play, and a bridge in your yard. Your bridge will stay in your yard and the opponent's creature will be exiled.

• @88_link

@Topical_Island said:

@88_link If you mean, does leyline protect bridges by preventing your opponents creatures from going to the graveyard and removing your bridge... yes. If your opponents creature dies, with your leyline in play, and a bridge in your yard. Your bridge will stay in your yard and the opponent's creature will be exiled.

Leyline of the Void does not affect creature tokens (they are not cards), so creature tokens dying will cause Bridge from Belows to be exiled. Against nontoken creatures, Leyline of the Void will prevent those from entering the Graveyard and Bridge will not trigger.

Looks like your connection to The Mana Drain was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.