alt text

They should have sent a poet. I don't know if this is going to make it in vintage, probably not, but I do know that a) this callback is ideal, b) I'm going to make a bad infect deck with it, and c) I really hope the English name is Crawify.

last edited by craw_advantage

Infect. Wow.

I can't tell because of the translation but this would retain buffs from earlier in the turn right, like if you invigorated it? And its not stripping abilities right?

I know in legacy you could turn one Inkmoth nexus, turn 2 animate, elvish spirit guide this and invigorate and just win, and that's without creature cards. I think that is less likely in vintage although for the most part on the creatures you are going to cast this on it reads +5/+3 for 1 mana, which is one of the biggest buffs we have ever seen.

@protoaddict It doesn't remove abilities, but I think it does overwrite preexisting power/toughness buffs. No big deal though, just play this one first and you're good.

Well it is very relevant if it keeps the buff. If I cast this one a 1/1 and you bolt it and I invigorate in response, it's the difference between having an 10 power infect dude or a 6 power one.

Whenever you change P/T of a creature it always retains the buffs. You just change the base power and toughness.

@protoaddict 6/4 is the ultimate power/toughness anyway so you still come out ahead. 😉

No, that's a relevant point though. I think that infect in Vintage has been a very fast goldfish that's very easy to poke holes in, and this card makes the goldfish faster and/or easier to assemble but no less hole-pokeable.

@fsecco said in [MH1] Avultar:

Whenever you change P/T of a creature it always retains the buffs. You just change the base power and toughness.

I'll defer to what I assume is your superior rules knowledge... I assumed this was a complicated layering thing but I probably was overthinking it.

@craw_advantage yeah, this is pretty much not an issue as a rule. It's been like this for quite a while, it's just that in Vintage we don't get those scenarios that much so most Vintage players don't need to know it.
I guess the only time this came up recently was with Chief of the Foundry - your 0/0 Ballista with 2 counters on it became a 1/1 Ballista with 2 counters on it.

This is well describe by rule 613.3, the order is

• Effects from characteristic-defining abilities that define power and/or toughness
    are applied.

• Effects that set power and/or toughness to a specific number or value are applied.
    Effects that refer to the base power and/or toughness of a creature apply in this layer.
    "Avultar" apply here.

• Effects that modify power and/or toughness (but don’t set power and/or toughness
    to a specific number or value) are applied.

• Power and/or toughness changes from counters are applied.

• Effects that switch a creature’s power and toughness are applied.

This is significantly better than become immense on offence for infect. I'm sure it makes into legacy lists. It might be enough to make a vintage deck out of infect, greatly increasing the turn 2 kill rate. Either way I will get my playset.

@wiley There already is a vintage infect deck - and it's pure hot sauce 🙂

@thewhitedragon69 I assume you're talking about the blazing infect deck, which is fun.
This card might make an infect deck with similar explosiveness but much higher consistency. Plus I got rid of most of the edh creatures the deck was force to run to support blazing shoal.

Views